KNOTS 2 B R NOT

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by john316, Jun 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. john316

john316 Monkey+++

SOME NICE KNOT REF

nice 75p book

[PDF]International Guild of Knot Tyers Knot Charts Table of ... - paperlined.org
    paperlined.org/trades/knots/pdf/igkt.net%5Cpdf%5CKnotChartsWeb.pdf

International Guild of Knot Tyers. Knot Charts. Table of Contents. Back Mooring

F]Gilbert Knots And Splices With Rope Tying Tricks Of Famous pdf

NICE 434P REF SITE

Real Knots: Knotting, bends, hitches and knotcraft. - Pole Shift Survival
    https://www.pssurvival.com/PS/Knots/Ropers_Knots_2004.pdf

knot knots knotting tie tying rope yarn hitch hitches bend scout sail climb marlinespike. Standard copyrights ...... Ethicon Knot Tying Manual How Surgeons Tie the reefknot. ...... Speed of (un)tying is a safety factor itself. ..... This book illustrates in a simple handbook format seventy of the most common knots for the outdoors.

KNOT Why Knot? BY Carol Strohecker 554P 1991 dissertation examines ways of knowing through a study of the extent, range,and diversity of thinking about knots.

Why Knot? - Core
    https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/4394612.pdf

factor in the gradual understanding of principles of geometry: Jean Piaget's ...... Yong; their written descriptions of knots, illustrated stories, instructions, etc.; and the bulletin-board ...... manual that I brought into the lab in response to his interestknot was compounded by his delight in doing the "Square knot test":

BOOK scouting-trail A FIELD HANDBOOK FOR SCOUTS, by SCOUTING IRELAND 319P 2003 Dublin, Ireland

Scouting Trail - Caherdavin Scouts
    https://caherdavinscouts.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/scouting-trail.pdf

Feb 2, 2011 - Woggles. 272. Decorative knots ...... The charts illustrate the many constellations ... Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning; red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Mackerel sky ...... Knot are used when joining ropes of the.

BOOK The Everything Knots Book : Step-By-Step Instructions for Tying Any Knot 290P BY Randy Penn 2004

Everything Knots Book : Step-By-Step Instructions for Tying Any Knot
    www.softouch.on.ca/kb/data/Everything%20Knots%20Book%20(The).pdf

Until I took up knot tying as a hobby, I knew what most people know about knotting; I knew how to tie my shoes, tie a necktie, and fasten a rope to an object.

Knots & Knotting 38P NICE SHORT

Knots & Knotting - Survivor Library
    www.survivorlibrary.com/library/basic-book-of-knots-and-lashings.pdf

Useful tips: Always practise tying knots using proper rope or cord and not string. Get to know what the finished knot looks like, then you will know what you're ...

NICE SHORT STUDY, 20P GREAT START

Basic Ropes & Knots Chapter 6 – Ropes & Knots - Seattle.gov
    https://www.seattle.gov/Documents/.../BSM_2009_Chapter6-BasicRopesKnots.pdf

Basic Ropes & Knots Chapter 6 –

KNOT Ropes & Knots -Seattle Fire Department. Chapter 6 · 20P Rope. ROPE. Introduction. In the Fire Service, the knowledge of how to tie and use knots is essential. While there are many ...

638PAGES.....THE HANDBOOK OF KNOTS

The Ashley Book of Knots
    https://www.liendoanaulac.org/space/references/training/Ashley_Book_Knots.pdf

u on rope and a consequent familiarity with knots that is demanded o no other ..... Tome the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space. A bit of ...

KNOT Ropes and Knots 40P CH2 Fire Fighter II TRAINING great current book

PDF]Ropes and Knots - Jones & Bartlett Learning
    samples.jbpub.com/9781284072020/Ropes_Knots_Updated.pdf

skills in handling ropes and tying knots. You must be able to tie simple knots accurately without hesitation or delay. This chapter discusses different types of rope ...

Free Cave Rescue Manual: Life on a Line
    This book describes itself as "A manual of modern cave rescue ropework techniques" and provides a lot of useful information on rigging techniques in general, with an emphasis on rescue rigging. Written by D. F. Merchant (UK).

The first edition (2002) can be download for free from here:

Please note that there is a new, updated edition available for purchase from Lifeonaline.com ($14.95 for the ebook) or a hard copy at Amazon ($31.50).

The Second Edition is a completely new book, containing 210 pages full of expanded information and updated techniques for all aspects of ropework, from equipment selection and basic rigging to the complex mathematics of friction and traverses. New in this edition are the chapters covering casualty care, stretcher selection and rigging, large animal and expedition rescue, plus in-depth explanations of the standards and legal frameworks affecting today's teams. It remains an international textbook, with techniques and explanations aimed at both European EN/CE, American ASTM/NFPA and international ISO/UIAA standards.

Teaching Knots to Scouts with Poor Motor Skills 4p great hints

Teaching Knots to Scouts with Poor Motor Skills - Pathway to ...
    www.pathwaytoadventure.org/.../Teaching-Knots-to-Scouts-with-Poor-Motor-Skills.p...

to the knot tying requirements for Scout through First Class. This handout offers ... base to hold the rope and tying instructions can be affixed. Empathy .... The Six Boy Scout Knots http://meritbadge.org/wiki/images/5/5d/Six-Boy-Scout-Knots.pdf.

FISHING KNOTS

PDF]Knot Tying Lesson Plan - New York State Department of ...
    https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administration_pdf/ifnyknotlp.pdf

Reproduce tying common fishing knots. • Demonstrate how to bait a fish ... Hitch – a knot that ties a line or rope to an object, such as a lure, post, or structure.

Knot Tying Resources very good

Knot Tying Resources - Harken Sailboat Hardware and Accessories
    www.harken.com/Knots/

May 6, 2012 - It is your responsibility to research and tie knots correctly. ... uncovered, high-PDF/pdf; Knots can be tied incorrectly. ... Knots Weaken Rope

a nice blog

40 Essential Knots Every Survivalist Needs To Know In The Outdoors

Surgical Knot Tying Manual 99P

Surgical Knot Tying Manual
    www.covidien.com/imageServer.aspx?contentID=11850&contenttype.../pdf

This Knot Tying Manual is available online at www.covidien.com/syneture. ... Because rope and knots have been two of man's most useful tools since the dawn.

KNOT LOW ANGLE ROPE RESCUE OPERATIONAL 228P 2007 CALIFORNIA State Fire Marshal

low angle rope rescue operational - California State Fire Marshal
    osfm.fire.ca.gov/training/pdf/larro.stmanual.pdf

Low and High Angle Rope Rescue Definitions. .... Qualities of a Rescue Knot. ...... c) Methods and techniques to tie knots and package victims and rescuers.

Great Resource for Knots

BELAY SCHOOL FOR APPLETON AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT
    https://www.aasd.k12.wi.us/.../BELAY SCHOOL FOR APPLETON AR...

Tail: the live end of rope left over after tying a knot, and sticking out of the knot o. On a bight: a knot formed in the middle of a rope o. Dressing: the act of making a

dynamic and static ropes

dynamic and static ropes - Tendon Ropes
    www.mytendon.com/file/340/Manual_horolezeckych_a_pracovnich_lan.pdf

become the world's first and only maker of climbing ropes licensed to use ..... WarnInG! A rope with poor flexibility is harder to tie in knots and slides less.

KNOT Rope Rescue Operation Technician 75P

Rope Rescue Operation/Technician - ReSET
    https://www.r-e-s-e-t.org/s/Rope-Rescue-Op-and-Tech-Task-book-PDF.pdf

the skills associated with the RESET Rope Rescue Operation/Technician course: .... One skills test shall be either Operations Knot Passing or Operations Load .... Trainee appropriately ties on the descender; Trainee ties off descender in <2 ...

STANDARD ROPE PRACTICES 41P SAN FRANCISCO FIRE DEPARTMENT good and short

PDF]Standard Rope Practices - United Fire Service Women
    ufsw.org/pdfs/standard_rope_practices.pdf

A working knowledge of ropes, knots, and ties and their proper application is essential in many fire department operations. An improperly tied knot may easily.

about rope

STATIC ROPE HANDBOOK

static rope handbook - Edelrid
    https://www.edelrid.de/en/Handbooks/Static-Ropes-Handbook_EN.pdf?m...

Whether tying in or building anchor points, ropes require secure terminations. Secure terminations might be knots, stitched terminations or splices. 21. Knots.

Surgical Knot Tying Manual
    www.uphs.upenn.edu/surgery/Education/facilities/measey/Knot_Tying_Manual.pdf

use faulty technique in tying knots, which is the weakest link in a tied surgical ... Because rope and knots have been two of man's most useful tools since the ...

WHIPPING

PDF]Whipping a Rope - 3 types
    www.shurdington.org/Downloads/Whipping.pdf

The ends of a freshly-cut rope will rapidly fray and unlay if ... Tie a. Thumb Knot a few centimeters from the end of the rope using thin, strong twine. Then tie ...

Gilbert Knots And Splices With Rope Tying Tricks Of Famous pdf
    xodigital.com.au/gilbert-knots-and-splices-with-rope-tying-tricks-of-famous.pdf

famous pdf, gilbert knots and splices with rope tying tricks of famous doc, gilbert knots and splices with rope tying tricks of famous epub gilbert knots and splices ...

Bandit99, duane, Ganado and 7 others like this.
  2. ochit

ochit Monkey+

I would make a cutting remark but this is a knotty problem that needs attention. [tytyty]

Asia-Off-Grid, Lancer and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Probably more than anyone ever wanted - or needed to know, about knots. :D :D
    Thanks for the links. I will add them to my cloud resources posthaste.

Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and john316 like this.
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

Ochit, I say this with the best of intentions. Sir, do knot quit your day job. (Sorry, I couldn't pass it up.)

Ura-Ki, ghrit, john316 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

A few more...

Attached Files:

Ganado and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

For those interested search the web for "animated knots by grog" Help for both simple and the more complicated knots.

john316 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have gone through life with about a half a dozen knots both in search and rescue and working on boats large and small on and off, and under water. However ,I believe that if there is a way to bind a rope producing less stress using a mechanical device I prefer that method. Knots can shorten rope life , so can devices , the trick is to know the difference .
    Another issue is storing ropes , I have learned it best to use a stuff sack rather then coiling ropes. it occupies less space and the propensity to tangle is no longer an issue. also it is easier to wash the rope between uses .

Ganado and Tempstar like this.
  8. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

Yes! Have that App on my phone.....
    I love and am fascinated by knots, only thing is, I would try to learn and keep fresh on too many knots and end up forgetting most of them........So I finally went through and made a list of the 'Best 10' IMO, put them on my phone and work on them once a week at least...
    What are you all's top 10 if I may ask?

ochit and Ganado like this.
  9. duane

duane Monkey+++

Down the rabbit hole again, I am a sucker for knots and can read for hours on them, but in real life, 90 % of the time I end up using half hitches, the truckers hitch, and variations of the square knot for securing loads, and canvas. End up using a lot of lashings too, doesn't weaken the two poles like nails or screws, doesn't take a lot of time to take apart, can reuse the ropes, etc. Don't have any bamboo and the Emerald ash borer is getting ever closer, so I don't know how much longer I am going to have those "brush clippings" out of the woods that are trimmed and stacked in the wood shed. Tomato poles, bean poles, temp supports for canvas, temp wall for wood shed ends, temp green houses, the uses never seem to end. Don't really like parachute cord, prefer about 1/4 in rope as it is easier to handle, knot and untie, even if you don't need the strength, these old fingers of mine are having ever more problems with the fine stuff. Now fishing lines and fly tying is another whole adventure and I refuse to even start until winter as I have to get something done in the greenhouse and finish working on the house. Jerry Young and some other good authors, fly tying, reloading and gun smithing, woodpile report, etc, and another "productive" day is gone.

oldawg likes this.
  10. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Buy a good Kernmantle static & rescue rope 9MM to 11MM NON DRY. A bit pricey get a minimum of double the height you may have to lower your self or gear it should become self evident. in my area about 60 foot.
    3 MINIMUM carabiners for climbing NOT TOYS !
    basic knots that comprise others or the best for basic woodsman's skills.
    truckers hitch
    half hitch
    clove hitch
    bowline bowline on a bight and double bowline
    square knot
    slip knot
    monkey fist
    figure 8
    sheep shank
    back splice for coiled right or left hand turn rope not braided
    eye splice for coiled right or left hand turn rope not braided

Ascender knots a couple will do but here are a bunch they have reason for dry wet icy and weight / load choose a couple and practice w/ them
    Ascender Knots
    Semi-mechanical Ascenders and Carabiner Knots
    Semi-mechanical Ascenders
    you can know all the knots but knowing when to deploy them and know they will work in a given situation is a matter of practice and someone teaching you. look for an REI or a climbing athletic store and ask around there are basic skills and climbing walls and check out the starbucks 6 dollar latte or juice bar o_O

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  11. Asia-Off-Grid

I don't really have 10 favorite knots. I use both the trucker's hitch and bowline fairly often, though.

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I don't have a top ten, but for sure I have some I use often -
    bowline
    tautline hitch
    clove hitch
    square knot (and often a grannie, sometimes by mistake --)
    slip knot
    half hitch
    double half hitch
    And a couple monofilament fisherman's knots, some of which I don't know the name of and don't really care 'cause they work.

And of course, the grossly underused hangman's knot.

13. ochit

ochit Monkey+

There are times where a cable is needed in a line knowing how to make an eye splice in a cable given you can cut it or better yet if it has been cut, split the number of wires by bunch if that's the way its it's made if not by number as close to even as possible wire rope will lay back onto itself if wrapped in proper right or left hand overlay you need to split it 3 times the length of the end size eye you want to end up with best to use cable clips / wire nuts and a host of other names but cable in a emergency can be held with wrapping tape or soldering it with lead and making a wire rope socket for the bitter ends ( piece that goes past the Y to form a socket)we used Babbit lead which is not really lead its mostly tin, antimony and copper a tiny bit of arsenic or harder than chicken lips if you have or can get it it would do well for bullet alloy to mix with pure lead here is a shortcut to lead alloy recipes Cast bullet reference on lead alloy's, min / max pressure, lube, shrinkage,

when your in the middle of nowhere time or life in the balance yous pays your fine and takes your chances as a left hand driver told me once.

This type of knowledge is old school thing change all the time sometimes I think just to keep safety men employed because if any rope wire or any other material is under a excessive or shock strain will NOT hold if it drags or pinches against a surface all bets are off notice people that repel use a chafe guard where the rope contacts the rock or other surface to keep chafe from wearing or parting the rope. A rope under strain / load if walked on or something falls on it may part with great power and hurt or kill anyone in range.

chains are better for a load if they brake only the shattered pieces or flying link is in motion generally the rest absorbs the shock and falls depends on the size and weight as to how much harm it will do when it hits. mixing cable chain and rope well figure half of the strain of the least rated is all it will take as the length of rope increases the load decreases as weight of rope minus total load and then if your repelling and braking that places strain and the rope flaps against any thing in it path there are time when good sense works and that's all the time.

All any of us can do is give a readers digest condensed version of use, making, safety or possible dangers it is of course up to the user to know all the information and apply it safely like that warning has ever stopped anyone.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

For temporary, use a sheet bend or other appropriate means of joining rope. Splicing rope, wire, hemp or plastic is pretty specialized and not at all doable in a hurry. Wire, especially so, needing as it does some fairly sophisticated tools to do it right. DO NOT WELD WIRE ROPES!!!

ochit likes this.
  1. UncleMorgan
  2. Meat
  3. Hanzo
  4. Brokor
  5. Brokor
  6. Brokor
  7. Brokor
  8. Silversnake
  9. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7