Knots for tying stuff down

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I take out 2-3 loads of stuff, 2-3 times a week. Sometimes, I need to secure the stuff in the back of my truck. On the anchor end, I use a Siberian hitch/evenk knot tied with a quick release, but I run a second quick release loop through the first one for security. Sure fast.

Siberian hitch - Wikipedia

On the other end, I use a truckers hitch to tension and tighten everything down. Same thing, end with a quick release with a second one through the first loop for security.

Trucker's hitch - Wikipedia

I use that same set of knots when I set up a ridge line for something, like a tarp shelter for camping.

Only thing is that if you have a big load on the rope, the loop used to pass the end of the rope through for tightening, can be jammed tight and just pulling on it may not release it. No matter for my light loads and even ridge lines most times. If the load is heavy, I will use this.

2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I had a foreman on the ground telling me he didn’t like how I’d tied a pole off, a timber-hitch. I ignored him of course until he hollers up “I’m not kidding Meat!” Well long story short, he was invited up to do it himself but he wouldn’t have anything left in the bucket to help him. I airmailed all of it to the ground on the trip down. Good memory. Lol.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Another useful knot.

Gator 45/70, Meat and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I can remember a Chief Boatswain's Mate supervising my doing pushups to the point of collapse because I thought the ability to tie knots in a piece of line was unnecessary... :rolleyes:

Needless to say, that knowledge came in very handy after boot camp and beyond...

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I will take this opportunity to learn this one from you, Hanzo. I have meant to learn the Trucker's Hitch for a long while but never got around to it. I'm sort of a nut about knots, even have a small piece of rope by my desk here that I practice with, When I was climbing I had to do it without thinking, kind of like clearing a malfunctioning firearm. I can't say I know a lot of knots but the handful I know I use all the time and are useful. For example, I could lower a 250 Ibs man with the right knot, one-handed, or tie him off in a blink of an eye so he couldn't fall even if he was unconscious. So, I will take the time to learn this tonight and thank you for posting it.

SB21, Gator 45/70, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo @Bandit99. Share your favorites too.

SB21, Dunerunner and Meat like this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’m not normally a hot-head and it’s such a fantastic knot. Wait, hitch. Lol.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Hanzo like this.
  8. Bandit99

I don't even know the name of my two favorites. They used to be used a lot in climbing before all the cam gear became popular. Both are best used with a carabiner. I will have to see if I can find their names or be forced to make the video myself.

Obviously, a Bowline is another must know knot. You should know how to tie it to attach to something or simply free by itself so you can throw it over an object.

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I find I use the Triline and Double Triline knots constantly, along with Blood Knots and truckers hitch knots, extremely useful to know, easy to do, and superior to many others, another one is the One handed half hitch stitch, you gotta look it up to get the idea, but it's literally a life saver, and there is the running half hitch stitch, harder to do, but faster when you have a large area to close!
    Finally there is the Clove Hitch, and my personal favorite, the Palermer knot, when you need absolute strength over all! Another really handy knot is the Egg Loop knot, very handy to know!

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  10. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Nothing better than a successful knot with an audience, nothing worse than effing it all up with that audience. Lol.

SB21, Hanzo, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

A trick with a bowline for one-dimensional brains like mine. In the real world If the end of the rope isn’t on the side you’re used to (from practice) just flip it 180, tie it how you’d like and when competed it just flips back. (I hope this made sense)

Hanzo and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Bandit99

Yep! Made perfect sense! Especially if you learn knots using muscle memory, which you should, so one doesn't have to think about it - you just do it. Sort of like, first aid or firearm malfunction or if you (or someone else) catches on fire (drop and roll).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    Hanzo, Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Bandit99

@Hanzo As promised, here are a couple of my favorites... They actually are used very well together too!

1. Knot 1 - Used to tie off something quickly to a protrusion, hook, carabiner, etc.

2. Knot 2 - Used to lower a weight when you don't have a pulley or some better way. This uses the rope's friction against the carabiner to lower the weight while the weight of the load is taken by a connection allowing the individual(s) to easily hold the weight and lower the weight. Caution! This uses friction! So, if you are lowering something very heavy for a long length, and/or fast, it will get hot and could stress the rope and/or carabiner to the point of breakage. I have never had that happen but then I use common sense. This shouldn't be used to lower an individual unless in emergency and even then, one should use it in conjunction with a safety cam mechanism or prusik. It's also great to use as an extra safety line when someone is descending something like repelling a rock face, or a building, or crossing fast water, etc. instead of simply holding the rope (dumb) or tying it to oneself (dumber).

Let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

Hanzo, CraftyMofo and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Just in time for Easter!

Ura-Ki and Meat like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Many years ago, I taught a class to our young 4H kids while at camp. It was “Getting What You Want” and knots. I waited until the kids were 6 to teach it since they could write by then.

I asked the kids, “How many of you want stuff?” They all raised their hands. Then, “How many of you want me to tell you how to get it?” Again, all hands. I gave them all a calendar, notebook and pencil. Here's the five minute class.

• Write down everything you want
    • Ask your parents if you can have it or not. If not, respect your parents' wishes. Can always revisit later.
    • If yes, ask what you need to do to get it.
    • Write it all down.
    • Write down in the calendar when you will get what you want.
    • Write down in your calendar when you will do the things to get what you want
    • Do the things
    • Get what you want
    • Celebrate when you get it
    • Do that for each thing you want
    • Stuff that parents said no to, put it in the calendar for when you will ask again, if you still want it
    • If you want, write down stuff along the way. And look at it from time to time.
    That was it. Pretty sure it was 5 minutes.

Then I gave everyone two pieces of different color rope and taught ten knots. I don’t remember what they were. But I do remember the moms being more interested than the kids.

Did not think the lesson took. But after camp, I get calls from some of the moms telling me the kids are writing down goals! And going through the process. Woohoo!!

Funny what they kids keep. I geared them all up when they were really little with tiny kid sized yellow backpacks. Some still have it. Over the years, I gave them all more adult gear like fire starters and multi tools. They still have and use those too. Pretty cool, I think.

Funny short story that popped into my head. When they were really little, the saw me make fire by friction for the first time. They asked how I did it. Told them I rubbed two sticks together. That kept them busy for two days. I did not tell them how. They kept looking for sticks and rubbing them together.

Ura-Ki, Meat and oldawg like this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Take every opportunity to use your knot tying skills they will fade with out use.
    In my early years scouting taught me a few simple knots, but with out practical use that information faded away.
    I worked on boats for a living about 8 years and also did some volunteer time with the Sheriffs department Search and Rescue, both required ropes training. Many other jobs through life benefitted from this skill.
    My favorite innovation is a back door on a Boline which I use often.
    Use a loupe to finish the knot rather than pulling the tail through.
    This can be done on many knots, saving the work/time taking it apart.

Hanzo and Meat like this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Everything is the same way.

SB21 and Meat like this.
  18. Horsegal

Horsegal Monkey

This was a COOL story and what a neat way to get kids to set goals.

I use a LOT of knots with the horses, tying them up, tying up gear and on my saddles, bridles - attaching bits to a headstall, attaching reins to the bit, etc.

Hanzo and Meat like this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo. What are your favorite knots?

20. Horsegal

Horsegal Monkey

I use ONLY the quick release knots when tying a horse up, they can scare themselves over nothing so always, always use a quick release - ALTHOUGH, I have had them pull it so tight I had to cut the lead rope.....

Hanzo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7