Know any natural remedies for back/neck ache?

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by GhostX, Sep 2, 2016.

1. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

I have no idea what I did to tweak my neck so bad but for the past week I've had this persistent ache right where my spine meets the base of my neck. It's like those top two vertebra are needing to pop or something but I feel like I'm making it worse when I try.

I've had neck issues before but they usually go away after a few days. I'm thinking it might have to do with the time some friends convinced me to do a back flip on a trampoline in the dark while I was drunk. The funny part is that i did the back flip perfectly and landed on my feet... but it tripped me out that I actually did it and stumbled backwards falling off the trampoline and landing hard on my neck. Hurt pretty bad. But I got up quick and pretended to be alright since I was so drunk but in the back of my head I was thinking "Damn, I really screwed myself up". That was about two years ago.

My neck has felt fine since then but I'm always feeling that I need to be cautious not to make a wrong move. I'm thinking that what I'm feeling now might be a result of that drunken accident. Maybe I slept wrong and brought it out again.

2. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

My advice would be to see a Good chiropractor (as apposed to a bad one :p)

VisuTrac, chimo, AD1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

If you can't get to chiro, use 2 tennis balls and lay on the floor with them on either side if your spine. sometimes it hurts like he'll but you can roll them up and down your spine. It will fix anything. fyi you don't actually roll them, you lay on them for 5-10 minutes and let you body relax. Then move to the next location and lay on them etc.

If tennis balls are too hard there is a slightly larger tennis ball you can buy at walmart but I can't recall what the name of it is

Brokor likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

IMO it is not a tweak but stress. You said you had an incident two years ago but it sounds like you mainly go without issue. There have been times when my neck will hurt and literally crunch when I turn it. It was all stress and holding myself ridged. I was sleeping tense, thus not relaxing so the ache continued. If you are under stress and holding yourself stiff, it is stiffening the old injury site, which probably needed addressing at the time of the injury. You can get it check out now but after two years, fixing old damage may not be an option. That is my opinion- not medical advice.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I use cue balls, also known as billiards. Those are hard.
    Tie them tightly into a tube sock to keep them stable.

Ganado likes this.
  6. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

I'll second the recommendation for you to, at least, visit a chiropractor!

Other than this, many years ago I hit my head - hard! - and permanently damaged the exact two vertebrae that you are talking about. (This is the reason, 'Why' I don't use shoulder holsters!) Stretching can help. Suggest you google a topic like neck exercises. There are also devices for stretching your neck. A neurological surgeon gave me a prescription for one; and it has helped.

Want something that's quick, fast, and provides relief? Take the index and middle fingers on each hand, and place them on opposite sides of the spinal cord at THE REAR BASE OF YOUR SKULL. (You might, very well, feel two sore spots here - OK!) Now, move your fingers in a circular motion and simultaneously massage each of these spots for a minute, or two.

Over the years I've learned a lot of other helpful techniques for the relief of neck pain; but, I'm not a doctor; and I do not feel it appropriate to pass this sort of - possibly medical - advice along on the internet. A knowledgeable chiropractor should be able to share this sort of information with you.

You might, also, find more useful information HERE.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    AD1 and Motomom34 like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

"Hold my Beer, and watch this........."

8. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Fill a Styrofoam cup with water and freeze... Peel a 1/2" from the lip and have your significant other to give you an ice massage.... This will stop any spasams, ease pain, allow you to stretch your neck, and increase your blood flow... Works from experience...

YMMV

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Try Turmeric. Takes about a month to kick in but if it works for you much better then pain killers.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Get or make a rice filled bag 8 to 10" square (or whatever size you like) heat it in the microwave or carefully in a warm oven and place it on the affected part! I use ours on my neck and shoulder! Often, switching from an ice bag to the hot pack, a few times, works best.

Don't burn yourself! It's easy to do!:eek:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Ganado, Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  12. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

When I get neck pain from vertebrae problem or stress headaches that can be debilitating, I have a simple method of relief that work for me. Beginning with my head resting on my left shoulder, I very slowly move my head in a circle with as much extension as I can comfortably manage. I do this at least 10 rotations resting first on my left shoulder then chin on chest then head on right shoulder then toward my back returning to the left shoulder. I can't guarantee it will help but it does for me

Sgt Nambu, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  13. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Preface - I've had more alcohol than I'm used to in such a short period of time.

Or - get drunk.

Now back to your regularly schecduled (and actually useful) advice. ;)

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  14. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Not necessarily Un-usefull.

Not that id suggest getting sh*t faced but a couple shots of whisky might help in some cases. allowing the muscles to relax enough to release tension and sometimes releasing trapped nerves & the like

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

If you are looking for kick but muscle relaxant 800mg ibuprofen and shot of warm brandy... warm the brandy over a candle and inhale the fumes. the combination will relax almost any muscle. but that isn't necessarily 'natural remedy' just one that doesn't need a script

16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

go to a chiropractor

17. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

A fifth of Scotch will clear up any issues. Re-apply to stomach as needed.

Ganado likes this.
  18. Donnely

Donnely Monkey

Move , exercise. If the pain is mild, then move your body, try some core strengthening exercise.
    Drink Ginger tea, eat pineapples and intake food rich in Calcium.
    Use Ice pack when the pain increases. Massage the areas daily.
    I hope these can help you if you don't want to see a chiropractor or a doctor.

19. This is the type of thing that comes back to bite you when you are older if not taken care of properly.
    These weird kinks you forgot about could re-surface. If you cannot see a chiropractor, I'd do much online re-search
    to look up exercises and other cures. Maybe someone can rub it a certain way but aside from pressure and exercise,
    not sure what else could be done

Ganado likes this.
  20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I had a sever Back Muscle Injury, due to a Mountain Climbing Accident when I was 23 years old.... About once a year, or so, I aggravate it, and it lays Me Up, for a couple of days to a week.... I have a Standing RX, for a Muscle Relaxer, to deal with this, when it flares Up.... It is truly a PITA, until it settles down.... Now that I am OLD, it takes a few extra Days to recover... Getting OLD, is a B***H...

Ganado likes this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. Witch Doctor 01
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. TailorMadeHell
  6. Motomom34
  7. sarawolf
  8. Hanzo
  9. HK_User
  10. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary