Knowledge is not enough when skill is required.

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by VisuTrac, Apr 4, 2011.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well, the knowledge gained by reading the book "Where there is no doctor" sure came in handy. I was able to correctly diagnose an emergency medical condition with my wife.

Acute Appendicitis.

I am just so thankful that
    1) we are not in a SHTF scenario.
    2) Professional Medical Treatment is available. As this is one of those things that require surgery. And I am not a sturgeon nor a surgeon.

We got her to the hospital before it burst, but holy crap what a scare. Just now eating Sunday morning breakfast on Monday. Surgery went well, a couple days in the hospital and then back home. So much for spring break for her. But at least she'll have a couple of days with out kids and husband to clean up after. ;-)

I think I'll be working from home for a week or so to mind the farm until the missus has had enough of me and sends me back to work.

Night all, This 40 hr being up straight is for folk way younger than I. Thank goodness for NoDoze, Energy Drinks and coffee!

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I am glad she is okay! And it is absolutely true that you are lucky enough to have spotted it and handled it in time.

Even the smallest medical conditions can become quite serious without proper attention.

3. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

What's a lady have to do to get a break you kids? LOL Glad she's OK.
    Figuring what's wrong is one thing , knowing where to cut is another.
    Honey is this going to leave a scar? Most likely my dear. Most likely.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

VT, glad it came out well. That begs the question, tho', had you not taken the time to diagnose it yourself, would you have gotten to the ER sooner?

Perhaps more interesting to those of us that are in the tules, could we have done the cutting? Well, in my case, yes, but the risk of infection would be well up in the charts using what I have to hand (whiskey, pure lead bullet, pliers, and an Xacto set.) That said, I'm not too sure that the infection risk would be any higher than in a hospital given the prevalence of MRSA and other hospital acquired infections these days.

Aside infection, you bet there would be a scar if I held the tools. (No, I'm not a sturgeon :lol:, either, just had some minor "exposure" in wayback times.)

[boozingbuddies]

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Visu, We are very Happy, for you and Momma, getting thru this Medical Issue.....

6. Spartan300

Spartan300 Monkey+

Wishing you both the best....glad it turned out okay.

7. VisuTrac

The wife hates hospitals / doctors with an intensity I've never seen. Even though she had been a medical Assistant some years back.

I had to convince her that i was worried that this wasn't just food poisoning from carryout. I told her for about 2 hours that it seemed like an appendix issue.

Nah, i was being a hypochondriac. We went to urgent care facility (2 miles) after she was doubled over in pain and she couldn't take it anymore. They said, hmm, might be appendix, you need to go to the emergency room now. So off to the nearest hospital (25 miles). CAT scan confirmed it. Into surgery she went. I don't think I need to tell her, I told you so ;-)

She is still in the hospital. They are pushing antibiotic to fight an infection.

I've read and quizzed the wife on enough anatomy books while she was studying to remember where part are. So could i have done it? Probably but the scar would have been way bigger, probably would have used too many stitches to sew her back up. What would worry me would have been closing of the end where the appendix would have been removed, would it remain closed ! I am so glad there were professionals available for this situation. there was the surgeon,anesthetist,surgeons assistant and two nurses. One person doing all the work? Yeah, odds of this being a completely successful operation by a single individual? I am glad I don't have to find out.

Now here is the most important lesson for all of us:
    In a SHTF scenario or now for that matter, Listen to your body. It tells you a lot of information if you listen to it. And that may save your life. In a SHTF scenario, a simple infection could freaking kill you dead.

8. VisuTrac

The Missus is home. Woo Hoo. No lifting for a month. Seems she is held together with super glue and tape.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7