Kong?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Our very own @ Bear made this brute of a Bowie knife for me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423972812.360940.

Now that I am home and feel better from the bug I caught traveling, I got to use it for the first time. Some might even say it is appropriate that the first use is in my kitchen.

Did all the food prep for dinner tonight with it. Salmon is the theme ingredient.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423972943.352555.

Am making poke, sashimi and salmon cakes. Food pics to follow.

Wasn't sure how this would slice sashimi because of the thickness of the blade. But no problem. The weight of the blade was enough to slice the fish. Made them small and bite sized. Monkey likes them seared.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423973076.997578.

Patina from it's first use.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423973115.583681.

Proud to show the maker's mark.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423973144.103576.

Bear thinks I should call it "Kong." Somehow appropriate for survival monkey forum.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Tonight's dinner

Salmon cakes

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423982429.024737.

Poke

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423982444.457300.

Seared and spicy seared salmon

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423982466.942230.

Torching

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423982489.928674.

My plate

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423982503.396264.

3. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Beautiful! Knife and food. I haven't had poke in years. Yum!

Hanzo likes this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

[slow]I would love to have your recipe for the salmon cakes. .... PLEASE?

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My "recipe"

After salt curing the salmon, I diced about the tail section, which ended up being about 6-7 inches long.

Chopped a few cloves of garlic and diced a whole onion and added to the salmon. Add a bunch of chopped parsley.

Dumped in a bunch of panko (bread crumbs). If I had to guess, maybe half a cup of so. And added just a pinch of my seasoning mix. Salt and pepper will do. Also added a couple of handfuls of shredded cheese. I had Mexican four cheeses, so used that.

Mixed it up and added an egg. Mixed it up and found it wasn't wet enough, so added another egg. Thought it was a little too wet, so added more panko to get to the consistency I wanted.

Put a layer of flour in a large dish and sprinkled parmesan cheese on the flour.

Scooped out salmon mix and shaped it into a patty, the coated with the flour mix. I just let them sit in the dish with the flour. Made seven large cakes. Was trying to gauge for six, so was pretty close.

Let it sit in the fridge until I was ready to cook it. Ended up being about 40 minutes.

I put a healthy layer of oil (use what you want) in a hot frying pan, added a bunch of butter. It was probably 2-3 tablespoons.

Fried each side for a few minutes until golden brown.

Thinking back, I would have put more cheese and less panko. We try not to have too much wheat. But as is, it was a big hit.

Could substitute crab for the salmon too. That would also be delicious.

@tacmotusn, the cheese is salty, so no need for much salt. And I know it isn't a measured recipe. But I hope it helps. I pretty much just eyeball when I cook and don't measure anything. I think eyeballing, adjusting, tasting when possible and adjusting is a good way to cook. Works for me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    Yard Dart and tacmotusn like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that recipe would work well with codfish. I miss some parts of New England, fresh cod being but one.

Hanzo likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I suspect it would work with many things, even roadkill.

Bet it would be good subbing the salmon with bacon.

Left over poke omelette with lomi sea asparagus.

Forgot something...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424051594.714580.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    Bear likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7