KSG

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Mar 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I can't legally have it here. I would leave it at a relative's home, in Georgia. No plans to move back to the USA. Only visits.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Definitely going to pick Velzey's brain, but check this out:
    [​IMG]
    Choke adapter, compensator, and breecher all in one! Maybe a bit more length than I want - I like that 28" length.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You can get the factory Remington tactical breacher choke, but it's $80!
    Go see Velsey and have him weld up a improved choke!:D

oldman11 likes this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

AoG, take it from an old expat... don't come back. If you're happy there, stay there. Wish I would have taken my own advice...

Ura-Ki and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Choke systems... I'm finding KSG choke adapters for Remington, Winchester/WinCHoke, and Trulock. Any advantages of one system over the other?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. Asia-Off-Grid

Yeah. I can honestly say I've been pretty happy, living in this part of the world.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. Bandit99

And, the other words of wisdom I would humbly offer you is to not purchase any more firearms and leave them with your relatives. The cause is a mystery but firearms seem to grow legs and walk away never to be seen again if left with relatives while one is overseas...this seems to happen with good tools also. :) :)

@3M-TA3 You certainly have sparked our interest and it does look super sweet. We look forward to your review in the near future which will decide if I should purchase one and, if I do, what needs to be done to improve its reliability.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The gun has a great reputation for reliability out of the box. I think the consensus is that there is only one potential weak point, and that's the plastic shell follower. There is a potential that the plastic could degrade over time and break or cause a malfunction. The preventative measure is to install an aluminum or the permanent fix of steel, each with it's own pros and cons.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Looks lie I will be getting a NEW Shotgun, come Summer... Just looked up My Cost at three of the Distributers, I deal with... Yea, it is twice what an 870 would cost me, but NOT bad considering... I have been considering the LoadOut, I would put in it... #9 Low Base in the Pipe, and then AS they Come Out, 2 ea. #4 2 3/4" in Mag1 and followed up by 00Buck, then Mag 2 would be 2 ea. 2 3/4" Slugs first, followed up with 3" Slugs... Reasoning: Birdshot in Chamber for local Spruce Grouse for Supper, then switch to #4 for Fall & Winter Goose, supper... Then 00Buck for Two and Four Legged Predators, and if that didn't do the Job, switch Mags and I will be good for anything moving in North America, that can actually GET HERE....(Think Armored Vehicles) It is like having two of the Winchester 1300 Stainless Marine Shotguns, (Which I have NOW) while only having to carry ONE Weapon... Such a Deal....

Ganado, Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. The_Prepared

The_Prepared Derpy Monkey

Glad you've gotten your hands on it @3M-TA3.

I'm actually selling my KSG today. I bought it new about a year ago -- not sure if that's pre or post them working the kinks out. But as others have said, it's been on market for a while, so they should've had this stuff worked out. Overall I'm disappointed with it.

I've had a lot of issues with finicky pump action. Easy to short stroke.

Also, as some of the most popular youtube reviews have covered, the shell ejection can cut your inside wrist.

Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Thanks - yours should be the same version as mine. I'll be looking for those issues specifically as well as any others you can point out. Curious - did you add anything to the hand grip or did you use it as is?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. The_Prepared

The_Prepared Derpy Monkey

Magpul vertical foregrip

Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Starting out with a few pictures to give a size comparison to an AR-15. The tan color on the KSG is darker than it shows up in the photos due to lighting and is actually almost as dark as the FDE on the AR-15
    upload_2018-3-3_11-18-23.
    upload_2018-3-3_11-20-31.

Motomom34, Asia-Off-Grid and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I don' know if there are any advantages to the different chokes offered from the other fun manufactured, one thing I do know is the Remmy system is far more available, and makes aftermarket chokes a lot easier to use! Think Briley extended reach, ported! And there are a lot more fine tuning options for the Remmy, you can go in .005 steps with them and most good shops will have those in stock!
    My 870 super seems to favor a light modified with a breacher extension and double ported. My Mossy 835 same to favor a heavy improved, with only the barrel ported so far. The Winny 97 is the one with all the tricks and tuning, with the barrel ported betwee the bayonet mointing lugs, and threaded to take the Remmy chokes, I took a modifyed extended choke and had Velsey weld up a piece of old chamber end 12 gau barrel and ported it and cut the breaching teeth on the end! Works like a charm and patterns nicely with most loads I run! I do keep a rifled choke for running non sabot slugs, or for getting maximum spread out of a duster load!
    Nice thing about Remmy chokes is they can be had pretty cheep, about $12 -15 apiece for the factory units! Once you find the Remmy that works best, then get the extended version of it and run with it!

3M-TA3 likes this.
  15. Asia-Off-Grid

I come from a large family. Concerning many of them, I would agree with this. Concerning this sibling, definitely not.

I was going to leave a pistol in his care that he was apprehensive to use. (Not the best neighborhood, back home.) It is of a larger caliber. I suppose, a bit intimidating for him. So, I put it in a safe, where it has been - 'til now.

If I am able to return this year, I am in hopes I can find a gun he feels comfortable with. He and his wife are about to retire. So, I hope he will accept something he can handle, for home protection.

Sweet as, man.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I ordered this SMT one today - it's on sale at 50% off and uses Remington choke - also found out the Tru Lock are Remington compatible as well. There is a lot of really good feedback on the KSG forums.

When I get to the ammunition testing phase I'll test stock, with the Hi Tech muzzle break I already have as well as the SMT tactical choke. I'm iffy on adding the length because it's so handy as is, but on the other hand it gets the muzzle further out from my hand if I should slip somehow plus the breaching feature is nice.

Asia-Off-Grid and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Been seriously looking at the KSG-25, I like the idea of loading one tube with slugs and the other with buck-shot and 25 rounds with a 30.5" barrel and only 38" OAL is pretty awesome.

18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It's gotta be pretty heavy loaded , but not much that could stand up to that!

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  19. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

weighs 11 lbs. fully loaded, helps tame that mule when shooting heavy loads.

20. Bandit99

BTPost, I don't quite understand your post, so you are purchasing a KSG also? I had a Winchester 1300 Stainless Marine also which walked away while I was overseas. It was a super shotgun, reliable and durable. I am considering one of these KSG also but will wait until 3M-TA3 finishes his evaluation. I'm gonna to check cost on one on Gunbroker now...

1. Witch Doctor 01
  2. Witch Doctor 01
  3. AndyinEverson
  4. BenP
  5. Tully Mars
  6. Bishop
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. oil pan 4
  9. TnAndy
  10. verla
  11. BTPost
  12. chelloveck
  13. Brokor
    Resource

Mossberg 500 Shotgun (12Ga.) 2014-06-15

Mossberg Owners Manual / 13 pages
    Posted By: Brokor, Jun 15, 2014 in category: Firearm Manuals
  14. Brokor
  15. CATO
    [media]!
    Thread by: CATO, Jan 12, 2013, 18 replies, in forum: General Survival and Preparedness
  16. Tango3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7