KSG

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Mar 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yep, AlaskaChick (wife) has OK'd the purchase already, Although I really didn't need her permission, as like ALL my Firearms, the KSG will remain as Inventory, in my FFL Bound Book... and will be purchased with Bruce's Trading Post Funds... The winchester 1300 Stainless belongs to the Cannery, not Me, but since I am the Only Employee, here 7 months a year, it lives on a set of Pegs above the Front Door... Ready to Use... The Loadout thinking is just an expansion of the Loadout in the Winchester, which has similar setup.. #9 Low Base in the Pipe, followed by OO Buck, and Slugs Alternating thru the Tube Magazine... The KSG just allows for a better diversity in the Loadout, as well as considerably more rounds available without Reloading... My cost would be in the low $700US which is a reasonable cost, AND it can be a used as a Demo Model for the neighbors and others who buy from me... When I got the Custom AR10 w 24" Stainless Bull Barrel... I quickly ordered and sold 4 ea. AR15s to the local neighbors, and family... They didn't need the Long Range capabilities of the AR10, but it was so fun to shoot, they had to have something similar...

Ganado likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I will be VERY interested in how they work. The potential for feeding hangups looks like a serious concern.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

For some Kel-Tek Parkerises the chamber and bore and this is the causes of most feeding issues. The solution is to polish the chamber. Ideally I'd pull the barrel and find someone who could remove the factory finish and mellonite it. I'll find out If I need to take the polishing step as soon as I get enough chores done that I can take it out in the woods. Hopefully next weekend.

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Pretty good objective comparison between the KSG and the Remington 870:

VisuTrac likes this.
  5. BTPost

Yep, that is a GREAT Treatus on the KSG vs 870.... and exactly why I will be gettibg a KSG this summer...

VisuTrac and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Beautiful sunny weekend - you would think I'd be out testing ammo.... but yard work, assembling new patio furniture and a few car maintenance tasks intervene. Since I can't get away to shoot I thought I'd get a grip instead... a new AFG. Having gotten a grip on I finally saw the light.
    upload_2018-3-11_11-32-30.

Honestly, I've never had much for an AVG before trying one I wound up with in a trade. It worked so well I decided to go with one, but I'm not thrilled with your basic black when it comes to firearms. IMO black stands out like a sore thumb, day or night, when you look for it. I ran across one in Foliage Green, which pairs well with tans and FDE while still helping to break up the lines for a pseudo camo effect.

Because this is also likely my first choice for things that go bump in the night I decided to attach a flashlight. I went with the Inforce 800 lumin light. Check out the great ergonomics:
    upload_2018-3-11_11-54-3.

The light has a built in rail mount, so it attached easily to the sling mount rail I got from Hi-Tech. The mount is remarkable solid, but I wouldn't use it for a sight. In this picture you can also see the metal Hi-Tech rail sandwiched between the hand guard and the VFG. There is an extended version of this rail if you want to attach a small laser in front of the VFG. It's popular enough that Hi-Tech even sells it as a bundle.
    upload_2018-3-11_11-55-29.

Here are top and bottom views of the Inforce light:
    upload_2018-3-11_12-12-7.

The light has a selector switch. With the switch forward and white bar visible the switch is momentary. With the switch to the rear it is on/of, or if you push it twice rapidly it will strobe. This light is BRIGHT and I have no doubt it will stun an intruder.
    upload_2018-3-11_12-18-37.

Lastly a pic of the KSG with new grip and light. Hoping to get some shooting in next weekend:
    upload_2018-3-11_12-20-59.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Ganado and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  7. ghrit

I'd be inclined to move the light back a bit, get it out of the way of potential damage from muzzle blast.

VisuTrac, 3M-TA3 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  8. BTPost

Light? Oh, you mean the Incoming Target Locator.... as opposed to a Green Laser, or Outgoing Target Locator.

Mountainman and ghrit like this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

[ditto]

Zimmy likes this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'll be pulling it for live fire until I get my 5" choke/break/breach adapter installed. I've seen plenty of pictures of lights that extend that far out, but don't know if those guys shoot theirs of just look at them. I also want the additional space between my hand and the muzzle, and the KSG and even with the added length should still be very handy even indoors.

Here is a mock up
    upload_2018-3-11_13-9-29.

The choke/brake/breacher along with stainless and improved aluminum shell followers.
    upload_2018-3-11_13-11-47.

Ganado, oldawg and ghrit like this.
  11. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

The light would be absolutely fine right there. Plenty of competitive shooters use extremely long tubular mags under their shotties with no issues. Here's a great reload technique video to wet your appetites. No shooting, just a video to illustrate my point about mounted items projecting beyond the end of the barrel.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  12. BTPost

Just got a Flyer from a Supplier, and they are selling the model KGS PICTURED ABOVE for $739US... I will buy, Not now, but later this summer...

3M-TA3 likes this.
  13. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

I like the idea of the KSG and they do seem to be standing the test of time but I had trouble convincing myself that $580 was OK when I got my Mossberg 590A1. Took some convincing, but in the end it was well worth it. I love the ghost ring site setup on it. Not sure if I could talk myself into almost $800 for a shotty... I mean OK I'm sure I could... :whistle:

14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

(whispers in your ear) Holds at least 6 more rounds while being over a foot shorter... ability to switch between two different loads... pistol grip and great balance... All kinds of pump grip options... Any pic mounted sighting option you want...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Byte likes this.
  15. ghrit

(More whispers -) Can carry up to 40 rounds of 12 ga shorties... (drools and slobbers ---)

Byte and 3M-TA3 like this.
  16. BTPost

Saw the KSG advertised in a Distributer Listing for $699.00US the other day... Hope they run another sale like that later in the summer...

Zimmy and 3M-TA3 like this.
  1. Witch Doctor 01
  2. Witch Doctor 01
  3. AndyinEverson
  4. BenP
  5. Tully Mars
  6. Bishop
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. oil pan 4
  9. TnAndy
  10. verla
  11. BTPost
  12. chelloveck
  13. Brokor
    Resource

Mossberg 500 Shotgun (12Ga.) 2014-06-15

Mossberg Owners Manual / 13 pages
    Posted By: Brokor, Jun 15, 2014 in category: Firearm Manuals
  14. Brokor
  15. CATO
    [media]!
    Thread by: CATO, Jan 12, 2013, 18 replies, in forum: General Survival and Preparedness
  16. Tango3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7