Kydex?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Bcgarrick, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Bcgarrick

Bcgarrick Monkey

Looking for a kydex sheath for my MUT. Anyone know of any good kydex sheath makers?

Websites and pictures of work welcomed! Thanks

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The makers I know are gonna have quite a backlog. If you're on the high road (thehighroad.org) look up Sam1911. He's good but he's backed up for months.

3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Has anyone here tried making their own from kydex kits? How hard is it to work with?

4. Baele

Baele Monkey

Ive made a couple from piece I have purchased on ebay using a 5 dollar toaster oven I picked up at the thrift store.

It requires a press of some type but once you get the press made its good for most projects.

Theres already alot of good tutorials online about kydex, homemade presses and what not.

Best advice is dont cook it to long. I learned that the hard way.

oldawg likes this.
  5. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

I've done it before, but I wasn't too proud of the results. :) I just used a heat gun and hand formed it into a simple foldover sheath.

However, you can buy everything you need to work it properly at Texas Knifemaker's Supply. Their kydex supply page is here.

oldawg likes this.
  6. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I tried and tried to make kydex for some of my knives but never could get the hang of it. Others pick it up right away - I had to have others make it for me. I have a press and oven if anyone wants to try it. :)

7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Thanks for the info and links.Looks like it's worth a try.

8. enough

enough Monkey++

I'm curious if anyone has called the company directly for advice. I ran into a sales rep for them while away on business. He was on a separate end of the business, but when I asked him about custom holsters and sheaths, he went into great detail on how to form the pieces. It was very informative. I wish I could have retained it all! ;)

He is sending me some sample packs to play with. I'm sure I could give him a call and get a refresher if needed. My point is, give the company a call. They seemed like very well informed and eager to help.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7