labeling ammo cans

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CATO, Oct 8, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I'm sure most of you have some kind of system already, but here's another:

If you get any collection of ammo cans, you certainly don't want to open them up each time to see what's inside. So, labeling them is a must.

If you have any of that blue painter's tape lying around, use that. It's easy to come off and waterproof. I use a metallic Sharpie and the lettering really stands out.

can.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Good thing to do to avoid confusion at a moment's notice. I used stencils and paint.

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

What if you change the contents?

4. 45ACP

45ACP Monkey

I cut off the end of a box of ammo that has the manufacturer's name, caliber, boollit type & weight and tape it to the handle (not the carry handle) so I can what's what in the stacks.

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  5. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Good tips, thanks. Found an assortment of ammo in a 50 just yesterday when cleaning the man cave. Had three bricks of 22s and some other calibers. Thought it was an empty. I keep one up front with differing calibers for a quick grab.

6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Yeah....I have a few cans with misc. boxes also. For these, I just put the majority.

I have mostly consolidated my ammo to .22lr, 12 ga., 7.62x51, and 5.56. The grab bag is pistol ammo, although the majority is 9mm and .45acp.

I'm thinking about color coding the consolidated cans in addition to the tape. For example, you can get a pack of colored dot stickers a little larger than a quarter. For all 12 ga., I could put a yellow dot, 5.56--a green dot, and so on. That way, I can see it from a distance or tell someone else "go get a box of red dots." For someone not in the know, telling them to go get .308 or 7.62 may be confusing....especially if you have an M1A and AK-47.

00a3bec3449ed9ed0520b9afd9e14e31c8.
    00a3bec3449ed9ed0520b9afd9e14e31c8.

melbo likes this.
  7. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

To change contents, I just buy another ammo can. They are cheap in certain places. Though I have found some people that think just because it was a "military" ammo can, that it's worth it's weight in gold. Dumb people amaze me.

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I just use a silver sharpie. If I change contents and need to relabel them, I just throw down some flat black paint and re-write. It works great on magazines, too! I like the color sticker idea. Looks like I used some tan...oh well. Nobody ever said they had to stay green!!
    SANY0002.JPG SANY0003.JPG SANY0004.JPG

hank2222, Sapper John and oldawg like this.
  9. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

I am particular to label machines. I can be more than a little ocd at times. I know pretty doesn't count but it tends to drive me crazy if it looks like it's done half a$$ed.

tulianr likes this.
  10. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Brokor,that is the same method that I use to label mine.Great minds think alike...:D

11. ratski

ratski Monkey+

I just use Word and standard mailing labels (3x10 to a page).
    I usually print in a LARGE font.
    Usually 4 labels per can. One on top, one on each side, one on front. That way, I can see a label no matter how I stack or set the cans.
    I can change labels easily by just reprinting them and peel and stick.

Dave

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

After repainting the ammo cans in a solid color (OD for US calibers, Hunter Green for WarPac calibers, Black for shotshells, Blue for general range carry - multiple calibers), I use a sharpie marker on top and both long sides listing caliber and quantity. The black shotshell can is lettered in white adhesive lettering.

13. Montana_Billy

Montana_Billy Monkey+

Different strokes for ...

I like to use peel-off labels (Avery work fine) and large font.
    Blue painter's tape and Sharpie sounds great as well.
    I also keep full cases of ammo stored by caliber, larger caliber on right, next smaller to the left.

14. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I use a labeling machine and then mapped it on a piece of paper that sits on the shelf. The first cans are for the two primary rifles in the house. I also moved a few cans into an outbuilding with half of my food supplies. That way there is something if one building burns.

15. hedger

hedger Monkey+

This is an excellent idea--which I have not yet put into use.

I really appreciate the time-saving value of labelling ammo cans.

We just changed over from summer tire to snow tires. Our local tire company puts each tire they take off the car into its own individual plastic bag. Then, when I get home, I tie up the loose ends and grab some 2" masking tape and a nice bold black marker to indicate the summer or snow tire and for which car it belongs to. If something like that saves time and hassle--and believe me it does, just imagine the time-saving value of knowing exactly which ammo is in a particular ammo can.

I'm sold on this idea. Too bad we cannot earn a commission on it!

16. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I, too, use the blue painters tape. Easy to tear, leaves no residue.

CATO likes this.
  17. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

I use a color coded set up for the ammo storage totes

Red rifle cal-223-
    blue-pistol-cal-9mm
    green-pistol-cal-22.lr
    pink rifle cal-177.cal pellets

that is the basic color coded set up i use now for storing ammo

18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Red dots...labels....sharpy markered signage.....this all presumes you have the luxury of light...or can see in the dark. There may be circumstances where you have no light...or for tactical reasons you dare not show a light...it would be wise to have some way of identifying contents by feel without having to open the container.. Perhaps an unprimed cartridge without propellant but with a projectile in place visible and affixed to the outside of the container....or some braille like system that you can identify by feel...whilst under pressure.

CATO and oldawg like this.
  19. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Good point.Maybe blind rivets through the handle or latch in a certain pattern/number.

chelloveck likes this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

In my case, it's one caliber per ammo can, and since there are only three that would be necessary in the dark, I remember what they are left to right on the shelf. (More than three, well, that would be a problem for us oldies.) With the fun calibers, they are just willinilli in the caisson.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7