land

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by fl4848, Nov 26, 2020.

1. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Ha. I think I'll fit in just fine. I certainly don't mesh well in Massachusetts. :)

Very helpful reply. Thanks very much for putting this together! I think you have covered all available options here. Unfortunately, none of them are perfect.. and that's probably by design. The why: I guess I'll put it like this. I don't see our "progress" the same way that others do. That's a nice way of putting it! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2020
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In Alaska, if you live outside a Borough (county) then there are no Property Taxes... Property Taxes are a Borough imposed Tax, just like Sales Taxes are a Borough, and or City Tax... We have no individual State Taxes... Years ago we had a State School Tax, but they repealed that when the Oil Money started flowing in.... We have only State Fees, and License Fees at the State Level...

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The gun laws in maine are federal laws.
    When I was 15 I got a mini14 and when I was 16 I got a colt python, perfectly legal for me to possess there at that time.
    No state BS like all the crap Massachusetts has dreamed up.
    Bloomberg blew millions of dollars trying to pass universal background checks red flag laws and other BS.
    The anti gun people want to turn the whole north east into a gun free zone.
    Question is why does the state that falls in the top 2 for lowest rates of violent crime need more gun laws?
    Mains retarded governor is trying to reinstate ultra strict clean air and water laws that drove all the jobs out in the 1970s and 1980s, of course replacing them with nothing.
    Also give away free shit to the poors who don't want to work, blowing up the state deficit. Im pretty sure giving free shit to the poors is the only reason the democrats keep getting elected.
    The last governor repealed the state air and water standards back to federal levels and that helped some jobs return.

fl4848, 3cyl, VisuTrac and 2 others like this.
  4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

The police walked up on me on my property a few years ago, wanted ID or my name. A few days later came a letter, “are you you?” The police or general public can all do this in seconds, at least here. I had a Facebook page full of activity for awhile too I’m told. I’m not homeless nor a bad fella according to my Mom. They like those trees though, don’t cut those trees for a Pete’s sake!

Cruisin Sloth and Ganado like this.
  5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

A number of people who own property around my BOL (non-incorporated area, and you provide all your own utilities, none available publicly) hold their property in a Trust.

But alas, it is all on-line so anyone can find you and your tax id#, number of acres, when you purchased it and how much you paid for it among other information.

If the property is held in a trust, then the owner of record is listed as XYZ Trust, not as Fred and Wilma Flintstone. I suppose if someone were motivated enough they could find a name associated with the trust.

Wife and I have been kicking the idea of a Trust around for a few years. Seems it's one of those things we never get around to. Going to have to do it some day, if for no other reason than to keep our belongings out of probate when we croak.

mysterymet and VisuTrac like this.
  6. Altoidfishfins

I met a lot of Canadians when working in the mining industry before I retired. Mostly good people but tend to hit the bottle pretty hard, at least the ones I knew. 'Course, I'm no angel.

7. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Really? What's that all about. That would make me pretty paranoid.

8. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Get out of MA while you still can. This is coming from a reformed Masshole...

Cruisin Sloth and fl4848 like this.
  9. Altoidfishfins

A couple about two miles from my BOL as the crow flies are former Massholes (good one MM).
    Funny to watch a tall slim dude with a cowboy hat, boots and a beard yelling at his wife to "Pahk da cahh".
    There's not one liberal bone in their bodies and I've known them for over 15 years.

fl4848 and mysterymet like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Former masshole here, too. One of my kids advertises he's no longer wunna dem, has a window sticker saying so. I'm gone from there nearly 20 years.
    Freedom and liberty in MA is pretty tightly controlled, much more so then when I returned to there (western MA) in the late 80s. I had a CCW issued on the say so of my town COP who knew me from my previous time there.

11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Judgmental people. They live on their 2500 hundred square foot lots and wonder who’s this dude with all the acreage? “Honey, he’s there again!” “Ok,I’ll walk up and whip out my nightstick. Same for you as soon as I’m off shift!” *She swoons* Lol.

TnAndy likes this.
  12. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Where did you move to?

13. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

LOL.

What's BOL?

14. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I went on a cross-country road trip to California and back. I got used to how laxed the rest of the country was during this road trip. Then I took Mass pike all the way back from California. As soon as I crossed the Mass border I was bombarded with signs saying DON"T DO THIS! DON"T DO THAT! You'll be thrown in jail if you do this! You'll receive a 10000 dollar fine if you do that!

It's as if they don't trust anyone who is not a Masshole entering into their beloved kingdom of slavery. I'll never forget the impression that left on me. I really hate this state.

15. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

The midwest. Freedom and friendly people.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

“BOL”. equals. “ Bug Out Location”

Altoidfishfins and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i am appalled at the incorrect info being posted here.

TnAndy is the most accurate. You can sell to a fictitious name if you want to ... the issue is if a former owner wants to claim the land back and you havent recorded the deed. Then proving you own the land legally is problematic. Especially if you bought it under a ficticious name.

Better to set up a trust or a corporation to own the land.. more layers to hide in plain site.
    If you dont understand 'hiding in plain site' please do some research. NO ONE is invisible. The biggest protection is to put layers between you and the researchers.

'unincorporated' means you are outside the city limits and subject to county/township and state regulations
    but not subject to any city regulations. 'Incorporated' land means you are inside the city limits.

every county/township has a county recorder and assessors office that lists who owns the land. Smaller counties are not online. 95% of all USA counties are online for land ownership. Keeps deed transfers more honest.

If you buy land in a 'non-disclosure' state selling prices are not subject to public disclosure but ownership is always available as publc information. Just accessing the information is more difficult in smaller counties who are not online for all documents.

Please do your own research and dont trust anything on the internet..

18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

[dunno] ?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Merkun likes this.
  19. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I think the long and short of it is, if you buy land it will be publicly recorded or someone will be able to figure out who owns it with a little bit of research.

The only way to live on land anonymously is to squat on someone else's land like the North Pond hermit:
    Christopher Thomas Knight - Wikipedia

I can't believe they made that poor man serve 7 months in jail for stealing groceries.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2020
    mysterymet likes this.
  20. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Although he stole much more than groceries. The sentence was light. I am ok with people squatting on public land if they don’t damage things or harass others and keep their camp site tidy. I am against squatters on private land. I am against burglary. Imagine if you had a cabin up there as your BOL and kept it stocked and dude went through all of your supplies one winter and before you realized it you needed the cabin and supplies for your family and they were gone?

3cyl and fl4848 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7