Landowner in Utah looking for advice on navigating city/county codes to get off the grid

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by weaverfamilyfarm, Jan 14, 2016.

  1. Never gonna happen

  2. Yep, did it, Done, living off the grid

    0 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hey there,
    My husband and I own over 100 acres in an agricultural zoned area. We currently use the property for AG purposes, and would love to move our family to this property. All utilities are over a mile away. However, we are confident there are ways to live without connecting to PU. Any advice on navigating the City/County building codes etc
    Dunerunner likes this.
  2. BTPost

    BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

    Depends on the Building Codes that are in place... What is the land in? City, County, or what? Go to the Seat of the County, or City, and get a Copy of the Building Code Requirements for where your Land is Zoned... Then READ, READ, READ, and READ AGAIN... and then spend an Hours worth of a Land Attorney's time, to get any Questions, answered that you do NOT understand from your Reading... That will get you knowledgeable on the local SitRep as far as the Codes goes... Then you ca n make an intelligent decision on if it makes sense for you Folks, to do...
    Dunerunner, GOG and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Motomom34

    Motomom34 Monkey+++

    Cities and counties are getting real difficult. Some guy here on CO tired to build a BOL off grid and the county was all over him. They denied well permits and all sorts of nonsense. Hopeful Utah is more relaxed.
  4. BTPost

    BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

    On another NOTE, Unless your Land already has Water Rights associated with it, you will have to BUY them from other Water Users in the State... There are NO Publicly available Water Rights in Utah... Any water that you would use must be purchased from Someone who has Water for sale. You could MAYBE collect RainWater, BUT I do no t know the State Statutes on that for Utah...
    Dunerunner likes this.
  5. kellory

    kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

    Dunerunner likes this.
  6. BTPost

    BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

    Ok, There you go, on the Rain Water issue...
    kellory likes this.
  7. MountainMariner

    MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

    "Harvest" rainwater? I love it. What do they require for harvesting air to the lungs?
    Cruisin Sloth and Dunerunner like this.
  8. Dunerunner

    Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

    Guess I won't be buying that 160 acres near Cottonwood after all...... :(
  9. Pax Mentis

    Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

    If you are using it for Ag purposes, that would seem to indicate you have some kind of water rights included? Having lived in Utah, I am doubting one could grow much with just natural rainfall and no storage.
    BTPost likes this.
  10. azrancher

    azrancher Monkey +++

    Wow such a deal no permit required if less than 200 gallons, but a max of 2,500 gallons... I'm thinking I will end up with 20,000+ gallons.

    Regulation of air is already happening, remember global warming, CO2 emissions and all the other EPA crap, wait until they come up with a meter to gauge your ox usage, you only get so much free, then the tariff starts, no Green Stamps or Gold Bond Stamps, your ox gets cut off, and there is a change for removal of the carcass

    Cruisin Sloth likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal warrant canary