LAPD bans Glocks

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ghostrider, Dec 1, 2005.

1. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Did they have some NDs? Story didn't say much. Except for the 2% may have a flaw.
    hmm,

3. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hmmm, never did like glocks anyway. They never became popular until someone claimed they could go through a metal detector un-noticed, then the popularity exploded. Guess I'll stick with my bulky untrustworthy POS Berretta!

4. ghostrider

5. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

1911's, baby! b::

6. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If it shoots reliably what does it matter?

All handguns will have failures. 1911's, Beretta's, Sigs, Glocks. Eventually someone will find something wrong with each and every one of them.

There is no perfect gun.
    [cof]

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

BLASHPHEMY! John Browning is rolling over in his grave!

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

So is Old Mister Garand. [beat]

9. ghostrider

Yes, ma'am, but I have yet to find a 1911 that I can't make work, or work better with what I have out in my shop.

10. TLynn

And I don't care if they are rolling over in their graves. It's a fact of life.

Even if I do like my Garand. :D

11. TLynn

Ah but I never said you couldn't make a gun better ghostrider, merely that no gun is perfect. I totally agree that one can improve on some weapons - 1911's being one of my favorite type guns to improve upon. I know since I have one that I dearly love and that has had a bunch of work done on it.

12. ghostrider

True, but the light strike is a design problem. I can't fix that, but I can keep a 1911 running.

13. ghostrider

Portland Police Bureau recalls .45 caliber Glock weapons after incidents
    Albany Democrat-Herald ^ | 16 March 2004 | AP

Portland Police Chief Derrick Foxworth has ordered a recall of .45-caliber Glock Model 21 firearms, weapons carried by 230 Portland officers.

His order comes after two of the guns exploded in the hands of two separate officers during training this month. Neither of the officers was seriously injured.

"We don't want a reoccurrence of this happening again," Foxworth said. "It's the prudent thing to do."

The Portland Police Bureau at first thought the problem was caused by an ammunition malfunction. After the second explosion, the bureau's training division did further analysis and determined the explosions may have been caused by a defect in the weapon or a design problem.

Police will switch to 9 mm handguns. They are negotiating with officials at Georgia-based Glock to replace the .45-caliber weapons with 9 mm handguns at no cost.

Because the .45-caliber Glock is popular among law enforcement, the Portland police training officers sent a teletype to agencies nationwide. They heard back from several, including agencies in Florida and Texas, that had similar problems.

Other agencies, including the Los Angeles Police Department, and Multnomah and Clackamas counties sheriff's departments, reported no problems.

14. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I had a buddy that his .40 glock blew up in his hand.

15. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It matters because holding a Glock is like holding a brick! I shot my friend's new SA XD .40 last weekend and while a good gun it's still too brick-like for me.

Going from .45 to 9mm is stupid - they should switch gun companies.

16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Our local police have already switched to H&K's. I would'nt doubt more will do the same.

17. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[bow]

18. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have no hands left to sacrifice to the Glock God
    Glock should make Frag Grenades instead [troll]

19. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hey they could just make the guns as is and we could pass them out in Iraq to the other side along with lots of red line ammo!

20. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

:D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7