Lawmakers approve plan to have schools display 10 Commandments

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by OldDude49, Apr 22, 2023.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

State senators in Texas have adopted, 17-12, a plan to have the Ten Commandments displayed in school classrooms.

The plan, Senate Bill 1515, explains, "a public elementary or secondary school shall display in a conspicuous place in each classroom of the school a durable poster or framed copy of the Ten Commandments."

Sponsor state Sen. Phil King, a Republican, set up the plan to have the document at least 16 inches by 20 inches.

The plan now goes to the state House, and if the Republican-majority body adopts it, it would go to Gov. Greg Abbott, a Republican, for his signature.

more info on site...

Lawmakers approve plan to have schools display 10 Commandments

2. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

I can hear the out cry from the left now. I have no problem with it------do not like it, don't read it.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I do have to wonder whether compulsorily posted copies of Qur'anic Suras posted on public elementary and secondary school walls would attract the same indifference or apathy???

The legislation is just another bit of Christian privilege territorial dog marking. That a religion requires legislated promotion, is a sure indicator that its host country is becoming a theocracy, or that its ideals must be propped up in the face of a dwindling population of devotees of its doctrines.

It has to be said that the 10 commandments are a crappy set of moral demands, supposedly dictated by a monstrous deity, who devotes almost half of those commandments to sating his own vanity. What's Wrong With The Ten Commandments? - Freedom From Religion Foundation Are the Ten Commandments really the basis for our laws?

Of course, the conundrum would be which version of the 10 commandments would be authorised?? Exodus 20:2-17 or Deut. 5:6-21? There'd be a lot of angst if a Roman Catholic Governor / legislative goal keeper only allowed the papist version of it past their powers of veto. :sneaky:.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    mechstdr likes this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Maybe these damn lawmakers should practice what they preach...

johnbb, mechstdr, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

[LMAO][lolol][LMAO][ROFL]

mechstdr likes this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Just rewrite them…:rolleyes:

I’ll start…

1. Be excellent to each other.

7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

The Bill of Rights would be another good one

3cyl, DKR, mechstdr and 1 other person like this.
  8. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

Mr. DR, a fan of Bill & Ted are we ? don't worry i am, party on dudes. :whistle:(y)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    Dunerunner, CraftyMofo and chelloveck like this.
  9. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

if we had written them in the first place that MIGHT be doable...

thing is we did NOT come up with them nor did we write them... so???

mechstdr likes this.
  10. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

I'm old enough to remember in grade school we said the pledge of allegiance and a silent pray every day.

mechstdr and Bandit99 like this.
  11. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Though my post was a bit flippant, my intent was that the values expressed in the commandments could be presented using modern language. I does not change the meaning or intent of the ideals expressed.

mechstdr and Bandit99 like this.
  12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

That or the Constitution....

mechstdr likes this.
  13. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I fear the attention span is too short

mechstdr likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

God made man for fellowship in a way His angels could not appreciate.
    Though Adam walked with God for a time he took that relationship for granted much the way we tend to with our parents.
    Adam's rebellion was anticipated, and a provision for restoration was already in motion, but in the mean time the cycles of men's behavior was still selfish. God chose a man that showed promise, and special attention, promised Abraham that his children should be cultured into this relationship. Unfortunately, the rebellious nature of men was not cured even though God demonstrated His intervention for them often.
    But due to God's promise to Abraham the people remain favored in spite of the few that actually reverence God.
    Remember that the 10 commandments were not written to the world, but to these people.
    There were many other laws God required these people which they failed to obey as well, far beyond the 10.
    Adopting the 10 as a culture is fine but it must be understood that these laws reveal man's inability to perfection on their own.
    Each of us need God's intervention in our lives to live up to His standards.
    Men resent being dependent on God thus so many refuse to believe. Religions confuse the issue with their own cultures and dogmas and lists of requirements, and academics, which do nothing to rebuild the relationship. The ten are not the limit of His expectations, but something much more in their relationship to one another.
    Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to build this relationship with God.
    No other action is required other than to repent of the rebellion in one's heart and asking Jesus His Lordship be demonstrated in their life. God's guidance in a man's life is the pinacol of existence. Even a little child can walk in this relationship.
    God gives me instruction in all aspects of my life. I still have the freedom to do things as I see them, but when I listen to God things go so much better.
    The ten commandments give me comfort knowing that the way I live matters not only to God, but to one another as well.

mechstdr likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7