learn to maintain our clothing pre/post SHTF

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Legion489, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

At work the other day, I noticed my co-worker’s uniform pants were separating at the seam. Fortunately, not in an embarrassing spot. When I commented that I could mend them if he wanted me too, he casually replied “Nah. I’ll just go to Wal-Mart and get some more.”

This attitude about clothing has become common. Hardly anyone mends, hems, alters or patches clothing anymore. Not even me, and I’m a seamstress. We are a throwaway society.

However, if the S ever truly did HTF, it is my belief we may last only a few years before we’re all running around naked unless we learn to maintain our clothing again.

Continue Reading...

Motomom34, Minuteman, arleigh and 5 others like this.
  2. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

This throw away attitude has netted me plenty of easily patched and repaired clothing. The only clothes I've bought in the past 5 years was a pack of 5 T-shirts, couple of packs of underwear, and a dozen socks, everything else has been "donated" by guys who think their clothes are "shot out". The same attitude has also netted me a lot of tools, hardware, and a vast array of electronics, all of which I put to good use on my homestead. I grew up being taught not to replace or throw away anything until it has been worn out and fixed at least 3 times.

3. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I am going to start working on making my own clothes. It's the only way I can see to have decent clothes that last longer than a year, and are in my style. We have colder weather longer than warm weather, so it's good that flannel is the cheapest when I looked at JoAnn fabrics. Well universally cheap, flannel is $9 a yard and cotton varies from $6-25 a yard. Silk is $20-25 a yard, and I can't remember off the top of my head what denim and linen was. And if I can't get a treadle sewing machine soon, I have videos on sewing by hand.

chelloveck and GOG like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

You can get cheap sewing machines the will run on 12 volts that will suit you needs. so to speak.
    Old fashioned treadle machines are 1. hard to come by and 2, hard to get parts for.
    If you don't know what your doing on a sewing machine it can be frustrating . especially if something is missing and you don't know what it is to rebuild it if you could . bobbins for those are very unique .
    Salvation army or good will usually have a few sewing machines, but as or working there is no guarantees. If your just learning that makes it all the more challenging.
    The other option is an electric AC powered and use an inverter off a battery.
    I prefer older machines because they usually are designed tougher then modern ones even though they don't have all the fancy features . I like simple.
    New ones that are expensive ( lots of buttons to select ) are not going to like being run on an inverter ,the processor is very sensitive.
    You only need zig zag if you are handling materials that are stretchy .other wise forward and reverse and length of stitch are all that's really important .
    Familiarize your self with sewing machines, and their bobbins, and how to fill them as well as lubrication and the material they are made of .

Motomom34, Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  5. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

I mend all my clothes all the time --when I throw anything away it is no longer of use

6. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

My wife is into sewing...she's got like 4 different machines and a dedicated space for it. Her mom has one of those old foot-driven machines...which we get in the will (I'm not looking forward to moving that monster from their basement to ours).

Because my wife is into sewing, we don't throw away most clothes...if they can't be mended they can still be used as mending material.

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

if you can't find the old treadle machines, which are better constructed IMO, you can always get one of these
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HK9KT4/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Sewing is a skill. Most people don't know the basics for altering clothing, crotch of pants too long or too short, most people will sew the crotch thru the inseam of the pant to make it shorter in the crotch or longer. That is not the correct method. You lengthen or shorten crotch from bottom of the zipper to up the back middle seam. Seems counter intuitive but it does work without making leg inseams huge

Motomom34 and arleigh like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Thanks I didn't know treadle machines were still made.
    I do see antique treadle machines at salvation army from time to time and they run about $200. or less depending on the condition .
    If you get a current model machine compatible with a cabinet, your home free.
    Thanks Ganado .

Ganado likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I just went to Ebay , there's one for $100.

10. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

have a treadle sewing machine in my living I haven’t used in about 20 years but it still works

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

on singer treadle machine you focus on buying the cabinet 1st then buy the machine. THe cabinet is the most difficult to find in good condition.

Singer was the most popular so you can get replacement parts. Whites made a better machine but it is more difficult to find parts.

12. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Lehman's has the machine with or without the cabinet, but it's ALOT of money, $1000-$1400 if I remember right.

Wish you lived in my area, marlas, I'd be interested in making a deal for your treadle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2016
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

the Lehman's cabinet alone is 1200 geez!

14. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Yeah they ain't cheap. I might have to take up hand sewing after all...

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Most military uniforms hold up alright.
    The new army uniform I am not so sure about. I got buttons poping off, pockets tearing off after barely a month and all the Velcro is a little ridiculous.

16. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

They never did when I was on active duty. :(

1. DKR
  2. Motomom34
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Bishop
  5. DKR
  6. DKR
  7. DKR
  8. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]