LED lighting saga, ongoing!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ura-Ki, May 25, 2023.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

So, I have a pair of Dodge Durangos, wife's is the SRT Hemi, and My is an SVX V-6 AWD. they are both so damn good, but there are differences, enough that i'm tackling some of the issues with mine to get it closer to the wifes, outside the Hemi. Two days ago, I decided to install aftermarket LED headlights, mine have always seemed a little dim, and the beam has a flat top to it, so it doesn't' really light up the road much ahead of you, while the Wife's has HID headlights, and they are much brighter, mine needed help! First issue was, they didn't even turn on after I installed them, i got a few flashes, but that was it, and digging around on line, I found some makes and models need a CANBUS converter, so I ordered them from the same brand as the headlights, ( Which are very highly rated, tons of good reviews) and so I installed those, ,which was an easy plug and play, except they weren't, as in the new converters do not fit under the factory light covers. But, now the lights work, except they don't, they will come on, and then shut off, and it takes them some time to come back on, and then they shut off again, I turned the light switch off and then back on, and they worked for a while, then switched off again. and now i'm at a loss! It seems to me, I have an issue with ether the head light switch or the head light relay, but A) don't have the means to test them, and B) don't want to be shotgunning parts at the problem costing me time and serious money! MY local Dealer is very reticent to offer any help, and I had to talk to the general manager about customer service to convince them it was in their best interests to be more willing to help, which is in the future should I get there!
    The more we rely on computers to over watch our cars, the more issues like this are sure to pop up, and once our cars are out of warranty and we need to make repairs ourselves, the worse this becomes! These head lights, when they are working are amazing, the beam pattern is great, and they are super bright, you can tell they earned every bit of their positive reviews, BUT, this problem is exasperating, for what should have been a simple plug and play! Stay tuned here, i'm not giving up, these lights and converters were NOT CHEAP, so i'm expecting to take this to what ever end we reach!

Alanaana likes this.
  2. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

Spitballing here, but it almost sounds like some part is overheating and shutting down, then when it cools down, the lights come back on.

Ura-Ki and CraftyMofo like this.
  3. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Was going to say the same thing, cpaspr!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

IIRC the headlights are controlled through the smart junction box. If it doesn't see the correct current it will shut the power off. If your new lights are drawing too much or not enough power then that's your problem.

Kamp Krap and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah, some autos require a certain amount of current, which is tracked, to make sure the headlights are working. This is part of the canbus, supposed to "trick" the system to think they are OK.
    My daughters Legacy would eat headlights and they are a total pain to replace. I switched to LED and it worked a bit longer but still they went out quickly. I switched to HID bulbs and "knock on wood" they are still going. Told her next time the light goes out she can buy a new car LOL.
    Were your previous headlights incandescent? Could try a different LED with a wattage closer to the original bulb. Could also just be defective LED bulbs. I've had a few of those as well.

techsar and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Not a fuse, but a circuit breaker for the headlamps?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

So far so good, I have had it outside the shop running for about an hour and a half, it hasn't shut off, so.....
    I haven't done anything since putting in the canbus adaptors, so, will see tonight!
    PXL_20230525_201501647.

techsar, CraftyMofo and mysterymet like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Year of the Truck with beam updates ? that black one looks like HID and a Can Buss system with an HID Ballast . CAN = Central Area Network , and Non HIDs are powered from a CAN but not censored If no Bulb Failure system ..
    PM me a Vin Ill look it up in my systems
    Sloth

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Still not working properly, it's completely random now, I can start it and turn the lights on, some times they run for half an hour, some times they don't last 5 min!
    The shop I got them from is ordering a full set of new lamps and canbus converters to try and see if maybe we got a bad part, if not, they will refund the full amount and send me on my way! The local dealer was a bad joke, as I kinda figured they would be, how dare you alter the factory parts on your out of warranty automobile, sorry we don't work on hotrod stuff unless you pay us an arm and a leg and your first born!

techsar and GrayGhost like this.
  10. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Unfortunately, bad parts are very common now... even new.

I couldn't tell you the number of just batteries and starters alone I've gotten right off the shelf that were bad from the get-go. I have them checked now before I even walk out the door.

I hope you get this squared away.

techsar, DKR and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

LEDs can be polarized electrically,
    Some manufacturers will tend to wire things to fit their agendas so generic parts do not work.

12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Most issues I see with aftermarket LED lights is that they don't draw enough current to keep feedback loops happy. They don't see an open circuit. They just don't comprehend what the signal is.

It's a little late now, but I wonder if the Dodge dealer would have any lighting upgrades in their performance catalog?

If you can't get the back of the headlamps sealed back up none of the upgrade will work long. Water intrusion will be an issue.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7