Lefse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, May 26, 2019.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Mom is bringing me down potato lefse today. It’s soooooo good. It’s a lot of work so she doesn’t do it as often. She’s almost 80 for Pete’s sake. If you have never tried it or it’s been awhile I’d suggest hitting up Son’s of Norway sometime. They sell it on occasion. Yum. :D
    FYI.
    Lefse - Wikipedia

GOG, Motomom34, chelloveck and 5 others like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Oh man! I hadn't thought about it in years - just reading the word brought back childhood memories! Grandma (yup, I'm part weegin) taught Mom to make it for Dad and all us kids loved it! Next "free" weekend where I take a keto break I'm making some!

Ludafisk you can have, but lefse, yum!

3. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^^^^Yup. Best thing ever. Nay on Lutefisk as well.

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Had some family bring some down once. Badass eats.

5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Nah, too soft and sweet. Gotta go with Finnish Ruisleipä. If it doesn't break your teeth, you know you are good for at least another 6 months before seeing the dentist. The shock waves will break off the plaque from enamel.

6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I never even heard of it but it sounds delicious! It doesn't sound too difficult to make as only potatoes, flour, butter, and milk or cream, sort of like a flat bread of sorts...

7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Looks kinda like Polish potato latkes or German kartoffelpuffers. I make both and love them.

I may try them out next time we buy potatoes. Starches are in decline at the Zimmy household

Motomom34, Gray Wolf, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  8. duane

duane Monkey+++

Some of my earliest memories are of my grandfather making lefse on the wood burning kitchen stove on a cold winter morning. He had some carved wooden turners he used to flip them and we had them hot with butter and jam or sugar and cinnamon. His were large, thin, and made mostly of potato. They always had a stack in house in winter. They also made flat bread and stored it, like a big cracker and made out of rye or wheat flour, had a lot of it with stews for meals, that and corn meal jonny cake, broken up and soaked in milk were often a breakfast meal. I guess lutefisk is an acquired taste, I love it and when we get back to Minn, I try to get some. Grand father used to make it as a way to store fish, that salting, drying, smoking and pickling, there was always a lot of fish in the house and much of it suckers, bull heads, sheeps heads, carp, etc, were fish that no one else bothered to eat. He used the wood ashes from the stove to preserve fish and to make soap, and you were in big trouble if you threw paper or anything but wood in his stove. He had a barrel with holes in it, put water into top, steeped through ashes and ran into a stoneware crock, took a dipper and put it back on top, never learned how to do it as "kids" were kept well away from lye. I remember him and mom taking wood ash lye and scrap grease, bacon, belly lard, etc, and making soap over an open fire in a cast iron pot that held about 20 gallons, made apple butter and rendered lard in same pot, put soft soap in wooden mold lined with cloth, Grand dad used to touch the soap with his tongue to see how much bite it had and modify either the fat or lye until he was happy. The soap would get hard in a couple of days, had to be shaved and mixed with hot water to get to work in wash water for laundry, never saw it used for dishes or washing people.
    Funny how many of the old foods are excellent survival foods and would invaluable if society collapsed. Lefse, flat bread, the old English style pancakes, a lot of the Indian breads, etc make very good use of potato and coarse grains cooked on a hot stone or wood stove, and a lot of the old fish and meat foods would store for months without a refrig and could be extended to full meals by adding grains, veggies, or salad greens, dandalion, sorrel, pigweed, some parts of the nettle, cat tails, and a lot of others were all used by my grandmother.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Motomom34, Ura-Ki, Dont and 4 others like this.
  9. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

It’s pretty much all gone. It was delicious of course. My daughter said she’ll take over the duties from here on out. Starting soon I hope. Yum.

10. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

The daughter made it today. Delicious. :D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7