Legume nutrition labels

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by NoOzone, Mar 9, 2011.

1. NoOzone

NoOzone Monkey+

I've been shopping different sites for the best prices on bulk beans, lentils, etc. I want to buy the products that have the highest nutritional value (minerals, fiber, protein) but checking each site and comparing these numbers are driving me batty.

Garbonzo beans, black beans, pinto and even lentils have wildly different nutritional guides.

Do the way they are processed by each supplier, figure into these analysis, or are these numbers a bunch of BS, just to get a customer?

I've seen chick peas' fiber content vary from 5 carbs/ to 1 gram fiber to carb/ fiber content as high as 2/1.

Anyone wish to weigh in on this?

2. Country_boy

Country_boy Monkey+

I don't know (and don't care) about fiber*, but it is extremely common for there to be huge variations in protein content between different cultivars of the same crop, and even between different crops of the same cultivar depending on planting time, water, weather, etc.

As far as feed crops (ie soy), they do test them. For wheat, I think they correlate density (after correcting for moisture content) to protein content. Back when I used to sell hay from the farm, I had the local land grant college test our hay so we could document a protein content.

*Because when we live off of our stores, we'll have plenty of fiber. Fats will be whats missing in our diets ironically.

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have seen a spreadsheet on this. But, for the life of me cannot remember where. What I do remember is that all bean varieties including lentils and split peas had a similiar nutritional value. Quite frankly, I have read and said this many times before.... Rice and beans on a 5 to 1 ratio will cover most all of your nutritional needs, with any fruits and nuts wild or domestic, fish, fowl and game, wild and domestic meat sources, domestic grown vegetables, and gleaned wild edibles are just icing on the cake to add variety to the rice and beans. Stockpile lots of rice, and the beans your family likes first, and then build on that to get the most bang for your bucks.

4. Country_boy

Country_boy Monkey+

Grains and beans in about a 5 to1 ratio will meet your needs for protein (ie no meat needs to be added to get all of the essential amino acid). This is a far cry from a balanced diet. There will be no Vit C, little calcium, not enough fat for it's own sake or for fat soluble vitamins. Depending on the grain their might be a niacin deficiency (ie Pellagra). Also need salt.

5. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

It can be maddening.... especially when there are so many variables as indicated by Country Boy.
    Here's one grain and one legume that are frequently overlooked and definitely undervalued that have beyond superior nutritional value:
    Quinoa, http://www.quinoa.net/.
    Best online pricing I could find for organic quinoa, Organic Royal Quinoa, 25 lbs bag.
    Soybeans, Soy Protein from Soybeans.

Soybeans are one of the most complete foods on earth. They contain two times the amount of protein than meat, two times the fiber of whole wheat, four times the potassium plus fourteen times the phosphorous of bananas and no cholesterol at all. One of the most amazing aspects about soy is that it provides benefits in so many different nutritional categories. The soybean itself is well known for its high 38 percent protein content. In addition, it contains 15 percent soluble carbohydrate, 15 percent dietary fiber (usually expressed as insoluble carbohydrate), 18 percent high quality nutritious oils as well as various trace minerals. Soybeans contain all three of the important macronutrients - protein, carbohydrate and fat - as well as fiber and an array of vitamins and minerals including folic acid, calcium and zinc.
    Soy is probably most well known for its protein content because soy has a high Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER), which means that the amino acids that are contained in soy protein are made, from a large percentage, of "essential amino acids." Your body can manufacture some of the over twenty amino acids it needs to stay healthy.
    However, eight of them must be provided by the diet since you cannot manufacture them internally. By definition, these eight are called the "essential amino acids." Soy protein is very efficient because it contains such a high percentage of them. Interestingly, the amino acid pattern of soy protein is essentially the same in quality as protein found in meat, milk and eggs. Soybeans are the only food from a vegetable source that contains this complete protein pattern.

Organic soybeans are out there in bulk.... I don't know which has the best pricing since I'm growing mine. I purchased some of my seed from here- Soya Beans - Beans - Vegetables A-C. All of Baker's Creek seed is certified organic.
    --
    Those were just two quick links for basic nutritional information on quinoa and soya that I found that worked but you can literally go online and find all kinds of nutritional information for them. Definitely two you might want to consider shopping if you're going for highest nutritional value.

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

NoOzone, the answers you seek are completely explained in the following book.
    "More - With - Less", by Doris Jansen Longacre.

described as, A world community cookbook, Recipes and suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the worlds limited food reserves.
    from cover, For more than 25 years, the More - With - Less Cookbook has helped thousands of famblies establish a climate of joy and concern for others at mealtime, while improving nutrition and saving money.
    inside, table c, gives Protein and Calorie content of some common protein foods. (including legumes).
    table d, gives Comparative costs of protein sources.
    There is much more info in this book as well! The first 1/3 of the book is data. The last 2/3 recipes and menu suggestions.
    I hope this helps answer your original post.
    Amazon.com: More-With-Less Cookbook (9780836191035): Doris Janzen Longacre: Books
    or
    More-With-Less Cookbook - Buy Cheap Books at HotBookSale.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  7. NoOzone

NoOzone Monkey+

Thanks tac and others for your thoughts and links. More info to digest and consider.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7