LEOs Behaving Well

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by tulianr, Oct 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Well...there is a slight pause to reload....

tulianr likes this.
  2. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Police officer buys bed, TV, Wii for teen
    Posted: May 07, 2014 10:41 PM EST Updated: May 08, 2014 7:37 PM EST

[​IMG]

SUMTER, SC
    A Sumter police officer went above and beyond for a 13-year-old boy.

A few weeks ago, 13-year-old Cameron Simmons called Sumter police because he was upset after fighting with his mom. The teenager told police he didn't want to live in the house with his family anymore.

Officer Gaetano Acerra responded to the call.

"I said, ‘You have it good, you have a roof over your head,'" said Acerra. "I told him I would try to help him out, and here we are now."

The officer brought Simmons home, and realized the boy didn't have a real bed. In fact, Simmons didn't have nearly anything he needed for a bedroom.

"My heart went out for him," said Acerra. "I thought the little things that he needed I could give him, to make him a happier kid."

A few weeks after the call, Acerra showed up at Simmon's house with a truck full of gifts.

"Bed, TV, desk, chair, a Wii game system that somebody donated to me because of the story I told them," said Acerra.

Simmons told Acerra that because of the new bed, his back won't hurt anymore.

Simmons was sleeping on an inflatable mattress. The teenager said the mattress would slowly deflate throughout the night.

"I didn't do this for publicity or to get people to notice me," Acerra said. "I did it because I could. It was the right thing to do and I think people should do things like this."

Officer Acerra said he has gained more than just a few pats on the back; he's gained friend.

Acerra gave Simmons his cell phone number, and told him to call anytime.

Acerra plans to bring Simmons more bedroom furniture, including a dresser and mirror.

A spokesperson from the Sumter Police Department said Thursday since the story aired, Officer Acerra has fielded a few calls from people wanting to help the Simmons family.

Police officer goes above and beyond for Sumter teen - WSMV Channel 4

Brokor and Pax Mentis like this.
  3. kellory

It's good he helped the boy, but did he do so with the parent's blessing, or did he decide for himself to suplant the parents? Is this a case of true charity, or a village pushing it's way into a family? The parent's response is not part of the story.....

4. tulianr

I can't see the officer being able to move in a room full of furniture against the parents' wishes, so I assume it was with their blessings. Surely, the parents could prevail if they truly didn't want their child to have a bed. So far, I've been able to keep my mother-in-law from moving all of her cast-off furniture into my basement, and she's way scarier than anyone in uniform. ;)

5. kellory

Depends upon the conversation" had between an armed officer with the "best thing for your child" speech, and the possibility of legal or public action if not allowed. I happen to hate the expression " it takes a village, to raise a child". No, it doesn't. It takes parents.

I hope there was no intimidation involved.

6. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Bear in mind that a lot of people here will just assume that the officer did SOMETHING wrong in the process. To admit that one actually did something positive is just too foreign to them.

tulianr likes this.
  7. kellory

If intimidation did not occour from time to time the expression " under color of authority " would not exist.

8. tulianr

KC police officers take a break, play basketball with kids who compare them to NBA players
    Posted 12:14 pm, July 17, 2014, by Sean McDowell and Michelle Pekarsky, Updated at 06:26pm, July 17, 2014
    [​IMG]
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A man identified on facebook as a teacher of special education at J.C. Harmon High School in Kansas City, Kan., posted a video to his page of police officers playing basketball with kids.

It happened in Kansas City, Mo. It had been shared almost 1,000 times by Thursday afternoon.

Samuel Krazy-sam Lockridge said “S/o (shout-out) to kcmopd for taking time out to block off the street and play ball wit the kids.”

People posted comments in praise of the police.

“that pretty cool… they might just make me change my mind about our police department,” said one woman.

“that really touched me i never see sh*t like that now a day i loved it tho,” said another.

“Hats off to KCPD !!!” said one man.

FOX 4′s Sean McDowell spoke to the officers seen in the clip. They say they play ball often with the kids and not for publicity.

“There have been several times we’ve stopped to play basketball with them, throwing the football around and stuff like that,” said Officer Todd Templeton.

He, along with officers Tanner Moats and William Hooley said taking 30 minutes to play isn’t that rare; it just happened to be captured on camera this time.

Even though they may not think it’s a big deal, the kids and neighbors appreciated it.

“It was a good experience. It was like playing with NBA players,” said Clark Woods, 11.

Officer Templeton enjoyed that comment, but had to laugh.

“I’m not LeBron or anyone like that,” he said.

BTPost, oldawg, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  9. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Did they intimidate those kids into playing basketball with them ?

Sometimes a person can't do a good deed without having several others question their motives.NO!!

kellory likes this.
  10. tulianr

Michigan police officer gives young mom car seat instead of a ticket
    Posted: Oct 06, 2014 12:46

(CNN) - A public safety officer from Emmett Township, Michigan went beyond the call of duty on Saturday.
    Emmett Township Public Safety Officer Ben Hall was on his patrol when he pulled a vehicle over for a traffic violation.

When he made contact with the driver, he noticed a small child in the car who was wearing a seat belt but not in a child's car seat.

The young mother told Officer Hall that she understood the importance of having the child in a car seat, but could not afford one because of her limited income at the time.

Rather than giving the young mother a traffic ticket, Officer Hall had the mother pull into a Walmart parking lot, where he went inside and purchased a car seat to keep her daughter safe in.

Read more: Michigan police officer gives young mom car seat instead of a ti - KCTV5

BTPost, kellory, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  11. -06

-06 Monkey+++

There are a lot more good guys than bad in our LEO groups but that 10%(sometimes more) is what taints the image of the rest. They need to be kicked out, banned from all depts, and even prosecuted.

tulianr likes this.
  12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Officer Skips Ticket, Gives Mom a Booster Seat Instead

Kudos to the cop, but I don't see this as changing the mom's ways. Skeptical . . . most health depts give them away for free and a car seat isn't something that you just don't have with a 5 year old. When I hear "I'll do that as soon as I get back on my feet," I cringe because there's a whole group of people who keep making the same bad choices and NEVER get back on their feet. She made it seem like she had to sell her previous car seat to get groceries.

Ganado, kellory and tulianr like this.
  13. tulianr

Cop HAD NO IDEA he was on Camera. People are Amazed at what was Captured.
    By Hunter Roosevelt on April 22, 2015
    A police officer had no idea he was being filmed and that those photos would later become evidence of what he had done.

Officer Cody Remy was on patrol in Bridgeport, Connecticut when he saw a child struggling with his bicycle. The veteran officer pulled his cruiser to the curb, got out, and did what Cop Block / police haters says police never do.

[​IMG]

He helped.

The officer took a few minutes to repair the chain on the bicycle and get the kids back to playing, almost like a modern day Normal Rockwell image.

Best of all, Remy doesn’t think he did anything special. It’s just what he does in the line of duty. In fact, he was so adamant about it that Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch had to step in and give Cody Remy the credit he deserved.

“Officer Remy’s act of helping out a child in need in our community is a great example. He doesn’t think he did anything extraordinary,” Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch said in a statement Sunday. “But I disagree. The picture speaks for itself. And, I’ll leave it up to others in our community and beyond to decide for themselves.

“Bridgeport police officers help protect our community day in and day out,” the mayor continued. “They help make our neighborhoods safer and more secure for kids and families, ensuring our city continues getting better every day.”

Read more: Cop HAD NO IDEA he was on Camera. People are Amazed at what was Captured.

Witch Doctor 01 and kellory like this.
  14. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Glad to see this thread pop up. Didn't know about it.

Back in elementary school, when we lived in town, me and a buddy decided to wade across the park lagoon. Naturally along came a patrol car. He stopped and called us out. Being good kids (generally) we waded over to him. He was very gentle but stern. NO wading. Fast forward a few months. We were trying to fish the lagoon. The knots tying our hooks on were as you would suspect from young unschooled fisherman. Just keep tying. The officer drove up again. and got out. We thought, "Oh no," He spent quite some time with us showing us knots and talking about where we should be fishing (We were in the shallow end).
    Officer Applegate. 50 years and I still remember his name.
    I have an elderly friend who hates LEO's. We've had a few conversations about it. His first few encounters with LEO's were apparently bad. He and I formed polar opposite opinions of LEO's from the first one or two run ins.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Witch Doctor 01, tulianr and kellory like this.
  15. tulianr

I imagine all it takes is a couple of bad run-ins with a police officer to permanently affect one's overall view of the profession. I suppose I've been lucky in never having had what I would consider a bad encounter with a police officer. I've had my butt chewed out a couple of times in my younger years, but I deserved it; I was in the wrong. Most of my encounters have been with county deputies and troopers; and almost without exception, they have been professional and courteous.

I think a lot of the problems people have with LEOs stem from the attitude they display to the officer. Most of my LEO friends are pretty laid back, decent guys; and will return what they get. You give them crap, and you will get crap back. You act like a gentleman to them, and they will reciprocate.

I know there are some police department policies across the country that need a serious rethinking; no-knock warrants and the militarization of our police forces need correction. I also know that there are some cops out there that are absolute jerks, who put on the uniform for all the wrong reasons; but I think they are the extreme exception. I think it is only fair to point out the cops who make the news for the right reasons; since we are often so quick in pointing out the ones who make the news for all the wrong reasons.

kellory likes this.
  16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Not to cause a disturbance here, and I am happy you found this thread, but the facts are clear. We live in a militarized police state. However, I for one am always happy to see police doing the right thing. Please keep this thread going, I love reading the updates and stories even if I do not agree with the opinions of a few around here who are blind to what is happening to our country.

For the record, I live in a small town, most of the police here are fantastic gentlemen, with only a few bag eggs. Just a few miles away, in a larger city, police corruption is rampant and crime is escalating, along with police brutality. I do not have any bad run-ins with police at all. I am always courteous and respectful no matter what and do not pretend to be superior in any way. At the end of the day, we still live in a militarized police state.

Ganado likes this.
  17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Let's keep this thread going. I love seeing good cops in action. Despite everything that happens every day in our nation and across the world, we should not forget the good guys, whose jobs are made even more difficult due to the growing number of militant, psycho police who give them a bad name.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't be vigilant and recognize the officers who murder civilians and are rarely held accountable, but it's important to recognize the good, too. *tips hat to all the good cops out there*

Ganado, BTPost and Sapper John like this.
  18. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

It was said the media does everything they can do to cover for the actions of bad police officers. I will tell you the opposite is true. Smearing police officers gets them (media) ratings and they will do everything in their power to keep a 'bad-cop' story going.

Especially if it includes a white police officer and a minority suspect. The media stirs the pot on purpose hoping to escalate situations into Ferguson and Baltimore type riot events. Again, for ratings. The worse it gets, the longer they keep the story going with more viewers....which calculates to more money in advertising.

I'd point out also that modern social media instantly gets people's attention when an officer does something. Also, many agencies are policing their own these days instead of covering up incidents. I have noticed prosecutions of officers as becoming more and more common. This does not illustrate officers are getting worse, rather it shows officers are being held accountable for their actions and the media is showing the story.

kellory likes this.
  19. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I wish I could agree...but my own close associations with law enforcement doesn't bear that out. But I agree, we need more balance...there are still a lot of good cops out there...I only wish they would police themselves a bit better, but that has never been a strong point of the profession.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Then there's this.
    Georgia Trooper Delays Tragic News to Save Kids' Halloween - NBC News
    If the link stops working, it's about a cop that took care of four kids on Hallowe'en until after the celebrations were over, simply to delay telling the kids that both their parents had died in an auto accident and buy time for the grandmother to get there.

Sapper John, Ganado, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  1. chelloveck
    [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Nov 21, 2015, 3 replies, in forum: General Discussion
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7