Lessons Just Learned

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by STANGF150, Jul 21, 2011.

1. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

I just learned a lesson not 30 minutes ago. My mother hollared my name a few times. When I hollared back What she finally shouted Snake In Yard!!! Well, I tend to use shotgun for killing snakes since a snake with no head is pretty much DEAD!!! Grabbed my doublebarreled 12-gauge coach gun as I went out the door.

Lessons Just Learned

12 Gauge 3" Magnum Buckshot is Overkill. Couple of BIG Dents in yard now!

12 Gauge Is a bit too friggin hard on the ears for mere snake killing. My old 20 gauge is better & Quieter.

2 Quick Shotgun Blasts makes ALL the Neighbor's houses light up!. Thank God I'm not in town limits! Its been awhile since shot my coachgun, so first shot hit 4" high. Second shot splattered the snake's head.

Not EVERY gun in the house has to be loaded with One Shot Stopping Power!!!
    [banghead]

Now my poor ears need a rest so the ringing will stop. As was 3 feet away from my fence, so I got even the echo of the shots. LoL

Next time I'll just use my .45 [elim]

Sapper John likes this.
  2. beast

beast backwoodsman

what kinda snake?
    some of them do taste damned good
    some i let roam my place freely, like gardners
    they keep mice and toads from overrunning me
    i find a shovel kills snakes quite nicely without having to be too close, and it does so without alerting the people a mile away

3. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

I feel for you STANGF150...I've got two ponds right by my cabin and snakes have been a problem every once in a while...Had to get a Remington 1100 in 20 ga. for the wife to bust the snakes with...A good investment, she learned to shoot so well she is now a certified warrior "princess" (my granddaughters words, not mine) now she wants to shoot any unwelcome critter that comes in the yard...she even went and bought some slugs for it...it's all good and the ringing ears will pass...

Cephus likes this.
  4. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

That is what the .410 is for ,the only reason to have one ,and so the kids can play with it.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Guess I'm just too OLD FASHIONED, or still a kid, at 60?
    I prefer "quiet" and I'll use a pellet rifle or pistol to dispatch things....
    In some cases I'll use the "aguila" 20 grain .22 caliber ( powderless) rounds to take out critters. No richchet and the only noise I ever heard was the firing pin hitting the soft brass case. EG: "click"... "smack"! ( works in 18+ inch barrels, as I do get a loud "POP" when fired from a 4 inch barrel revolver!)
    ymmv

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I am a big believer in the Aguila Colibri loads.......

Me.............. 4
    Big hairy spiders.... zip!

[fnny]

7. STANGF150

The reason I don't let any snake in my yard live is cuz I have chipmunks. I love watching those cute lil chipmunks. They make the Energizer Bunny look like he lazy & on welfare! That an snakes like the birdhouses on my fence. A snake got sum bluebirds ONCE.

8. LogOut

LogOut Monkey+

You got spiders big enough to need shootin ' ? :eek:

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Buck fever makes a spikehorn look like an elk?

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Ah, the snakes roam free across our lands. No need killing them here at this farm. But when the turkeys find a snake, One of 2 things is going to happen: They stomp and peck the life out of it, or it slithers faster than it probably has into the garden, into the weeds or under one of the barns.

We've never had a problem with snakes taking our eggs or chicks.

I guess I might look at it different if there was a depredation problem but so far, none.

Don't tread on me sayeth the snake.

11. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

We like snakes here, but the only good chipmunk is a dead one. They are devastating if you are trying to grow a garden. The cat patrol takes care of them for us, saving me a small fortune compared to buying the .38 shotshells the wife was using on them!

12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I use CCI Shot caps for a 22rf for snakes.

13. STANGF150

Ours eat the birdfeed we put out. They don't bother my lil garden except to run thru it or sum times plant a few Sunflower seeds. The Lil Farmers LoL

14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Chip 'n' Dale brand catfood.

Seems like the cat patrol might be saving you on catfood if they actually eat the chipmunks....similarly....the carcasses would make for reasonable blood and bone fertiliser, if you aren't likely to have other critters digging them up.

15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Want to borrow my Father-In-Law? He love shooting stuff. I'd advise that he only have access to low brass steel shot if you have farm animals.

16. bluedog

bluedog Monkey+

Is aguilla 22 shorts that your're talking about? But what does "powderless" round mean? Who has patience to teach this ole dog?

17. STANGF150

No thanks, theres homes, a hospital, Retirement home, Down town Rutherfordton all within range when he misses lol

18. LogOut

LogOut Monkey+

The only "powderless" rounds I know of are Aquila Colibri's. Basically a .22 short propelled by the primer only, no powder.

Very quiet.

19. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I know we get what are called CB rounds for the 22 here and they are very QT .

20. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I think i found the answer...

winchester-saddle-gun-and-box-t.

STANGF150, Sapper John and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7