Let the disagreements begin!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by chelloveck, Dec 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I found this poster while browsing the interwebs. I could have posted it to the jokes, humour etc forum, for reasons that become obvious when looking down the poster, but thought it might be better placed in the firearms forum. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

3cyl, JLRhiner, Dunerunner and 8 others like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If I had to pick one cartridge, it might be the...... 6.5x55 Swede. Good for everything from varmints to moose. Light recoil, flat shooting, great killer, and very accurate. It may very well be that the most versatile round for North America is mostly used in Europe. You can also add the 7x57 to the all around list. From a practicality standpoint, in North America it's the .30-06.

Dunerunner, Motomom34, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

No no no your wrong 7mm08 just kidding but that would be my caliber of choice.

4. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

If you reload and cast your own bullets, then one of the centerfire 30s can do everything from mice to moose. My one do it all rifle is an old SMLE in .303 British. You will have to study up on the arcane art of downloading safely, and when downloading, a rimmed cartridge is preferred to avoid shoulder setback, which will occur in a more modern cartridge who's rim is flush with the cartridge wall, such as 30 - 06, .308, etc.

I can load a .314 175 grain bullet from cast lead that will have 2,440 fps velocity and is capable of killing any big game, or drop down to a .314 100 grain cast bullet intended for the .32 pistol, which will have a muzzle velocity of 900 fps, and works great on small game, and is my favorite cartridge for taking out groundhogs that invade my garden every year in the spring when they come out of hibernation.

Sgt Nambu, Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

nope. .12 gauge

Dunerunner and 3cyl like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

One of the best cartridges ever designed and should be much more popular.

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I am also a 264 win mag 25-06 243 260 fan but really it boils down to what you shoot the best and have ammo fir

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A 12 with removeable barrel.
    Then swap between smooth and rifled barrel as needed.

9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

OMG the replies thus far have warmed my heart!!
    Even though the .30-06 isn't even close to the top of my favorite cals it is hard to argue with the last three in Chels post. Those three would get the job done.

With ya Bro, the 6.5x55 is a SWEET round. Currently hunting a Swede Mauser to do a full custom sporter with.

Another GREAT cartridge. Buddy of mine has a custom 40XB chambered in 7mm-08 and is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot .

As I have gotten older, I find myself reviewing my interest in the "older" rifles and calibres. I haven't played with the SMLE or any .303 much, but I'm thinking one is on the list. I do something similar to your plinker load with the .300 Win Mag and the Speer 90 grain plinker bullet. I hard cast these with a gas check and have no leading issues out of my favorite BAR.

:rolleyes:

DUDE!!!!
    The .264 Winny is my all time fav light calibre for everything from to yotes to antelope and mule deer! Can't for the life of me underestand why that cartridge fell by the wayside. I have an old mauser action Browning chambered in .264.

GREAT thread Chel!!:)

10. chelloveck

I have not been disappointed! ;)

11. duane

duane Monkey+++

30-06, 22, and 12 ga. If self defense wasn't a need, could do here in NH with a 22 and a 12 ga with slugs and shot.

12. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Oh, and my three for squirrels to elephants?
    .22 LR
    .264 Win Mag
    .458 Win Mag

Dunerunner, Ganado and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You forgot the .577 Tyrannosaur for feral tanks.
    .577 Tyrannosaur - Wikipedia

Dunerunner, Ganado, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

God Love ya, I see several fans of the all mighty 6.5mm!!! I my self have quite an affinity for this size, and currently have three Rifles in 6.5X55 Swede. Then there is a custom Barreled 03 Springer in 6.5/06, one Mauser 98 commercial mag in 6.5/300 WSM and a new one in 6.5/.44 rem mag Thompson Contender! I also have the Trinity of Rifles mentioned in Chell's OP, .22 WIn Mod 52, 03 Springer NRA custom in .30/06, and a Holland&Holland Commercial Magnum Mauser in .375 Weatherby mag ( .375 H&H blown out to Weatherby Specs) and I can attest to the effectiveness this 3 rifle battery has! Few know, but the .30/06 and the .375 H&H have almost identical ballistics at normal hunting range, making them easy to switch between on a hunt even to the point of having one scope for both rifles and no need to change any settings!!! Still need a Tikka T-3 in 6.5X55 Swede, Hunting perfection that Rifle is!!!

16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Been lusting for that combination myself!

Sgt Nambu, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I finally got my Tikka Super Varmint in .30/06 for my all round nasty weather Mountain Hunter, and the Wife LOVES her Tikka in .243 win. I traded off my Sako finnlight .300 win mag so I now have an empty slot in the safe for another T-3! Thinkin another Super Varmint in 6.5X55 Swede should put me in nirvana but good! LOL Never can have enough rifles!

18. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

Personally (and this coming from someone who has never owned a gun) I like the 12 gauge. From everything I've learned about shotguns, it seems to be extremely adaptable to just about any kind of situation. Not only is there a wide variety of ammunition types including custom ammunition that's easy to make, there are several ways to modify the weapon. That's part of the reason why I like the SAIGA 12. I see it as a do-it-all weapon.

Bird shot - small game
    Buck shot - larger game
    Slugs - range shots or just make a big hole
    Wax rounds - reduces spread
    Magnesium round - catches target on fire
    Frag round - bunker buster
    Tango round - slices OATH 12 Gauge Tango Shotgun Ammo Plastic Case - 5rds - Limited Supply - TA120P
    Flachette round - dices
    Coin round - turns coins in to shirikins
    Armor piercing incendiary - cooks from inside 12 Gauge Armor Piercing Incendiary - 3 Rounds Per Pack - G12-008
    .50 BMG round - great for long distance 12 Gauge ".50 BMG / M17 Tracer Sabot" Shells - 3 Units Per Package - G12-050
    Rock salt rounds - for small game, pests or telling someone to get the hell off your land
    Etc. (I could go on but I'd be at this all day)

Now let's look at the different ways to modify the SAIGA 12.

Regular SAIGA 12
    http://www.kushnapup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/home-kush-2.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Bullpup modification
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/saiga-bullpup.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Sniper modification
    http://www.onesourcetactical.com/images/products/detail/SaigaSniper1.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Tactical modification
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/124786/990094405/wm_4088268.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Stealth modification
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6220/6348364204_3b0e7c8e94_b.jpg
    [​IMG]
    The list just goes on. One gun can do so many different things. I love it! Of course, in order to modify it, you need tools and time to modify it. Not to mention that all of the accessories and attachments would weigh you down along with the SAIGA itself being a hefty gun. Still though, as long as you have a home base, you can leave with whatever set up suits the situation.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    chelloveck, Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  19. chelloveck

Man, you might as well attach a chain saw to the damned thing.......oh.....dang.......someone did!

upload_2016-12-15_18-30-18.
    Via:Yes Please!: A Sweet Chainsaw Bayonet

bebop, Dunerunner, Tully Mars and 7 others like this.
  20. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

That's insane! LOL. It seems like he could use a better foregrip for that thing but that's awesome!

Dunerunner, Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  12. Ura-Ki