Let the WAR begin! (MUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAaaaaa) glock vs 1911

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, Sep 12, 2017.

1. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Not enough rounds? If I need more than eight .45 lead bricks then time to put my mag change practice to use, or deazz the a.o. or maybe sit. awareness should have been a higher priority. But yeah glocks have their place........keeps people from wanting to borrow my 1911 A1s. Or maybe chew toys for their pups as iron 1911s are pretty hard on teeth. [peep]

tacmotusn, Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Scared ya! Had to get the block, back then the only way to get 10 mm was ether a Bren10, or Block! Then Colt figured out how to make a 10 mm 1911 Delta Eliet and we got a few issues to us, and the rest is history! Now the Block sits in the back of the safe taking up space while better pistols get shot and carried! I take it out some times to show just how good a 1911 is for those shooters who HAVNT learned yet!
    1911, it's like a Glock for grown ups!!!
    For those that say a 1911 can never be as reliable under combat conditions, I took the gunsite challenge with my carry STI 10 mm and shot the full pistol coarse with zero failures of the pistol! Gunsite gave me my money back and paid for the ammo! Cost them almost 1200 bucks to honor that challenge! And that was with a match grade, tight fitting unsuitable for combat 1911!!!! Didn't see a single block or any others go through that with out a failure, not one!!!! So, tell me again, how good the blocks are!!!!!

Motomom34, tacmotusn and Tully Mars like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Hi...my name is Bandit and I'm a Glock shooter...I started as a child, shooting small, baby Glocks and now...I have even gone so far as to customize my G19 grip! It cost a fortune but I couldn't help myself! I admit it! I'm a Glocker! 'My hands are shaking, my heart is breaking, bugs crawling all over me...' LOL!!!!!!!

So, I take it this is not a good time to suggest a 'Glock Gun Club' section for the forum? Maybe a 'Glockers United' section? 'Come Out of the Closet You Glockers!' section? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Geez...will I ever live this down??? LOL!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You just need therapy my friend! Lol. Nothing wrong with a Block, just poking some fun at the fanboys that swear Glock is the be all, end all of firearms design, and the only caliber a feller should ever need is 9 mm, and lots of it!

Tully Mars, oldawg and Bandit99 like this.
  5. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

I got a fuzzy math question? 1+13 then (reload) add another 13 = 27 So 1+8 then (reload) add another 8 then (reload) add another 8 = 25. So after you have expended all three mags for a 1911 you are still 2 rounds shy of a single reload in a Glock 21 (SF) Now anyone telling me that they go On Duty without two extra mags for thier 1911 is either pulling my leg or a bit foolhardy. But what makes the Glock 21 (SF) turn from ugly duckling to swan? 27 + 13 = 40. Beauty is in the hand of the holder.

I must confess that along with all the 1911's I've been issued or worn out in the past, the current stable includes .45 ACP is an AMT, a Kimber NS, and a S&W "E" Series NS. Not to mention a 1911 9 mm Taurus & a 22 LR Kimber. But I only need 3 Glocks: Model 21 SF NS .45 ACP 13+1, Model 34 NS 9 mm NATO 17+1, and finally the Model 30 SF NS .45 ACP 10+1.Of course I elected to purchase a .22 LR Glock Conversion just to make practice practical. (NS = Night Sighted)

I don't understand why folks think that you have to be either a 1911 or Glock Fan Boy? They both work well, and they both require maintenance to perform optimally. (Any 1911 user that hasn't had to have the Safety Plunger Tube re-staked? Will!) (Any Glock owner that hasn't needed to expend enough rounds quick enough to warp the frame? Might!) So shoot your Glocks slowly at the range, and save your Republic Credits to pay for the usage (Round Count) related repairs of your 1911. JMHO.

Gafarmboy, Ura-Ki and Bandit99 like this.
  6. Bandit99

@M118LR You, sir, are da man! And, as you so logically and eloquently pointed out "Beauty is in the hand of the holder."

To be serious, but only for a moment... I would love to own a Colt .45 and I am sure that some day I will not be able to stop myself from purchasing one but what really started to change my mind was the fact that the majority of criminals and/or terrorists do not operate solo. They operate in a group of two or more. So, in my opinion that in the modern urban jungle the single-stack .45 just does not hold enough rounds and, due to my dainty, petite hands I cannot get a controlling grip on a double-stack .45 so...So, for me it is a double-stack 9mm which is the maximum I can do. I have even gone so far as to have the grip of one of my G19s customize so it is a bit smaller which did indeed improve my shot placement especially on follow-up shots (second round). I like everything about the 1911: its flatness, its grip, its tried and true reliability and its large .45 round. But, I am not going out that door with anything less than 15+1 rounds in my gun and two extra magazines, not in this day and age. Face it, gangbangers with Uzi's, terrorists with AKs...frankly, we should all be carrying our ARs with extra 30-round mags and maybe someday soon we will.

Ura-Ki and M118LR like this.
  7. M118LR

S&W1911.
    Everything good about a Colt 1911 and an external extractor to boot.
    If you can control a double stack Glock Wonder Nine, everything about the Double stack Glock Short Frame Model 21 fits even smaller hands. (Mens Cadet Small Golf Glove) 9 mm NATO works well offensively, once you are receiving sidearm fire defensively nothing less than a .45 ACP will do. JMHO.

Speed and capacity make you sleep soundly at night, accuracy kills and brings you "HOME" every night. JMHO.
    One well placed round beats a thousand or more near misses. Once again, JMHO.
    "NEVER SHOOT A LARGE CALIBER ASSAILANT WITH A SMALL CALIBER SIDEARM!!!"

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Ura-Ki and Bandit99 like this.
  8. Bandit99

@M118LR
    From Glock website, 'The SF model reduces the circumference of the receiver at the rear' but does not give any dimensions...this guy slipped by me. How long has it been out? I shall look at the Glock 21SF... Thanks!

M118LR likes this.
  9. M118LR

"The Sandy Springs (Ga.) Police Department traded in their previous pistols for the Glock 21SF in August of 2007."
    Glock's 21SF: The Perfect Duty Weapon
    I believe I purchased mine through the Glock Mil/LEO program prior to 2007, but I don't recall exactly when. Even with my small hands & short fingers the distance to the trigger is such that I have full control. Thankfully it has an ambi-mag-release otherwise I'd need to manipulate my grip when shooting from the classic one hand position.

10. Bandit99

@M118LR I am looking at one today while I am in town...I wish I would have know about the SF version before I dove head first into the 9mms when I got back as got 3 of them and 2000-3000 rounds of ammo.

11. M118LR

Hope it fits. Next stop, custom.

12. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Have heard stories about glockers...

don't ask me to repeat any of em... their too terrible! :D:D:D

Ura-Ki likes this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Not that it helps Bandit99, but Caspian makes a really sweet double stack frame kit for the 1911 that is the thinnest I have found. They also allow the use of "standard G.I. grips" which unlike the other double stacks, make tuning the grip a breeze. They also take standard double stack magazines and can handle all the standard chamberings, making them the best 1911 for carry use you could ever want. Brownells sells them for around $450 when they can get them, and had I known, I would have orderd several. I find they work better then my beloved STI frames, and cost less then half as much! I could build one of these Caspians for just over a grand, and that's with all the good parts.

Combat experience taught me the hard way, that 9 mm was way to under powers for use against some one kranked up on chemicals and a berserker attitude, having dumped a full mag into a tango, still took a round of .12 gau. Buck to drop that dude. Only time I ever had to use a side arm, and it almost got me killed, as it was, I took a round of 7.62 to the chest plate for my efforts, and put me down for about 20 min while I tried to breath! Other units had better results with .40 and .45!

Today, we as civilians face a different kind of threat, the fighting irons we used to carry as normal are now back ups to what we should be carrying, large capacity , full size combat side arms! This is why I switched to a full size, double stack 1911, and in a caliber capable of stopping more threats then the typical 2 legged type! A double stack 1911 with flush mags in 9 mm gives you 21 rounds, a .40 or 10 mm gives you 17 rounds, and in .45 gives you 15!!! That's serious fighting iron, and with reloads, makes all the other pistols at best, equel when it comes to capasity, then add in all the mods the 1911 can take to truly make it for YOUR needs, and it's possible to have a good combat 1911 that has no equel. Too bad some one hasn't figured out how to do all this to my beloved Beretta M-9, a 10 mm Beretta would be fearsome!!!!
    The argument over quantity vs quality is nothing more then a bunch of old rubbish, today, we can finally have both in a quality dependable fighting iron!

jim2, Tully Mars, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  14. M118LR

That's just about the cost of an entire Glock 21 SF with 3 Mags + mag loading tool and cleaning brush using the MIL / LEO Program.

15. Bandit99

@Ura-Ki Hell'va story and believe me when I say that I will take it to heart. I have two questions:
    1. After your incident using your 9mm, which I assume was an M-9, what did you switch to, or did you continue to carry your 'beloved Beretta M-9'?
    2. What do you carry now?

@M118LR I did check out the G21SF and, honestly, I did not see much difference in weight (empty of course) from my G19 and the feel was sweet, nicely balance. I also looked at the G21 Gen5 but preferred the balance of the SF. With the standard trigger I still cannot get the pad of my index finger on it 100% but...triggers can be changed and honestly Glock triggers need to be changed for they are mushy. What I like about the 21SF is the feel, very much like my G19 and I know the gun since it is built exactly like the G19 and I only lose 2 rounds (13 rounds vs G19 15 rounds). It cost $530 here which I think is an good price for it. I am going to go to a range which rents handguns and see if I can shoot one, hopefully this Sunday.

OOOOOHHHH! That is sweet! I love everything they did to that 21SF....my wife is going to kill me. I did the stipple on my G19 among other things but had it done by a guy here. It turned out really well and makes a big difference. I also use the TRU-GLO sights. That Pyramid trigger is a must have and will do even for my 19s, should have done it already but...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017
    M118LR and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

This the frame kit?

CASPIAN 1911 AUTO HIGH CAPACITY RECEIVER KIT | Brownells

what might one be lookin at for... say... a .38 super? askin for a friend... honest...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017
    Tully Mars likes this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Bandit99 we switched from the Beretta to the H-K USP. 45 and then the Colt Delta Elite 10 mm! With Mec Gear mags, we had 12+1 In the 1911s! Made up for the lack in capacity. We did studies and found that every engagement that got reported, found most lethal hits were scored in the first 5 shots at a single tango, and with multiples, the first 8 scored two tangos struck with lethal hits, and that the terminal effect of the bigger .45 had more probability of a single hit stop then the 9 mm! When we switched to 10 mm, the terminal effects were even more sure of a terminal hit stopping a tango. That's why I carry a 10 mm now, especially because of the terminal effect of 10 mm hollow points bringing almost double the energy of a 9 mm and dumping it radially within a tango! I built my self several carry 1911s both single and double stack, and in .45 38 super, 10 mm, and 460 Rowland, and although they weigh North north of 50 oz loaded, they are quite soft shooting and stay at point of aim far better, making follow ups or tango sweeping far more accurate, and all are equipped with tritium front sights. Currently, I carry ether a STI double stack frame 2011 series 1911 in 10 mm, or a single stack Kimber Eclipse Custom, also in 10 mm, depending on how I want to carry I have the option of what first load capacity I want in virtually identical side arms, and I don't have to switch holsters between them!

Yup, that's the Caspian frame kit!!! And would make a sweet .38 super for any one wanting one! I just did mine in 10 mm with a 6 in long slide and target sights, super accurate and soft shooting! Put a really sweet set of G-10 grips on it and a arched main spring housing with mag well extension! Will post up some pictures soon!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Tully Mars and M118LR like this.
  18. M118LR

It's always best to test drive prior to purchase. Welcome to the .45 ACP World.

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

thing with me is I have smallish hands... standard 1911 works but needs a short trigger for optimal grip...

the very best is slim grips with short trigger... as a mech they always gave me the tight places hard to reach jobs...

so how much more would you say the caspian frame adds?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  20. Bandit99

@Ura-Ki "We did studies and found that every engagement that got reported, found most lethal hits were scored in the first 5 shots at a single tango, and with multiples, the first 8 scored two tangos struck with lethal hits, and that the terminal effect of the bigger .45 had more probability of a single hit stop then the 9 mm!"
    This makes total sense and I am not surprised...I just wish I knew it sooner.

"When we switched to 10 mm, the terminal effects were even more sure of a terminal hit stopping a tango."
    Why? Why was the 10mm more terminal than the .45? Velocity? Better control so follow-up shots were more accurate?

"I carry a 10 mm now, especially because of the terminal effect of 10 mm hollow points bringing almost double the energy of a 9 mm and dumping it radially within a tango!"
    The above probably answers my question above... So, just to be clear, the 10mm (.40) was found to be superior to the .45 or was it more just a trade off - meaning - the 10mm produce 'double the energy of the 9mm' and also allowed more rounds to be carried due to being smaller in size than the .45? I mean, why not carry the double-stack .45 shooting heavy hollow points instead of the 10mm (.40) to get maximum effect? I'm just wondering why the 10mm over the .45?

Sorry, about the all questions Ura-ki and shut me down whenever you want but...I'm learning.

M118LR, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7