Let there be light!

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by chelloveck, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

[​IMG]

2. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Didn't mean to leave you hanging like that.

The Books of the Old Testament were written in Hebrew

and the Books of the New Testament were written in Greek

Since the word dragon is a Greek word, then the only place in the Bible dragon it is used literally is in the New Testament.

Revelation 12 and 13 introduce us to a portion of scripture that is highly symbolic. Whilst some have troubles with earlier chapters it is really from here forward that many Bible students throw up their hands in desperation at attempting to unpick what Revelation means. In particular the beast and the false prophet appear to be subject to so many interpretations and counter interpretations that it is almost impossible to ascertain from the commentators what is happening.

In the case of Revelation 12 and 13 the one piece of symbolism that can be unpicked trivially, at least by anyone prepared to take the Bible at face value, is the identity of the dragon.

The identity of the dragon is yielded by Rev 12:9: -

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

What is perhaps more interesting is the question: 'Why is he described in these verses in a new form?' Given the writer of Revelation was prepared to unveil him as Satan then why first unveil him as a dragon?

tulianr, Minuteman and chelloveck like this.
  3. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

First you need to realize that this was not directed at you, whatsoever. I have no reason to kick you in the groin, nor would I do so w/o good reason. You are a fellow Monkey and Christian brother.

One would think that a organization that had an income of $20 million and spent $19 million of those funds on Programs would make the road to Salvation a little easier to find.

However, it is pretty easy for one to find a way to spend their money.

It is probably best if I leave it at just this, as I view AnswerInGenesis as a Mega Church on steriods.

While I do agree that the connection of Behemoth and Leviathan is an interesting Revelation in interpreting scripture in the Old Testament, it does need to be put in perspective and not so overbearing.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Minuteman and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7