Lethality of the 22 LR standard velocity round

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by E.L., Apr 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Couldn't have put it better myself. [applaud]

2. scratch755

scratch755 Monkey+

Some of my best shooting fun was with a 22LR

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

A Ceiner .22 conversion in a suppressed M-16 sounds like a Singer sewing machine running and chews up a lot of cinder blocks real fast.

4. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

Wish I had picked up one of those GSG5's before they dried up. And since I don't like the GSG AK model, I'll probably save for a nice Spike's AR22 upper and some mags. 22LR is a great round and like others, I've heard it has killed more people than other rounds and I don't doubt it.

If it could do 3000+ fps and cause hydrostatic shock, I'd abandon my 5.56 chambered AR!

One other point worth mentioning, if not already, is that the majority of "sniper" engagements (from law enforcement) average about 75 yards. I believe the average police engagement (handgun) distance is like 5 yards. So there's no reason to not equip our law enforcement officers with 22lr deringers and 10/22s! lol

5. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Heard that when the DOD was vetting out the M16, they actually had a .22lr gun in the running. Can someone confirm?

6. fortunateson

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

It's still danged loud!
    I prefer the other aguila, but it has little power, no powder, and is silent when fired from a bolt action rifle....But it's only good for about 50 feet or so. (??)
    I tried firing it from my puny AR-7 and thought it was a misfire...it went off, but all I heard was the firing pin click. I had to see the impact to even know it went off!
    Good for pest control and has some penetration on cans....I have not tried it at further distances or on wood.
    The sound that the SSS aguila makes is louder than I expected with the heavier bullet and shortened case...From a rifle it is loud, from a 4" barreled pistol, it's like my 9mm!
    Figure on the bullet weight being half again as much as a standard round, it must have good penetration, but I have yet to field test them to see the accuracy or distance they are good at/for.
    Anyone do any testing?

8. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I just love those CCI Stingers; they shoot in every thing I got and make a definite impression.

9. fortunateson

I got some Aguilla subsonic. Not this stuff, but standard looking bullet (blue box?)
    Anyway, like you, I was surprised at how loud it was.
    Apparently, the whole idea is to remove the sonic boom so that it will be almost totally silent in a suppressed weapon. I was expecting the "hand clap" of a CB.
    BTW, I'd use CBs before those "primer only" numbers. They sound a bit too weak especially considering they say NOT to use them in a rifle.
    CBs are plenty quiet and have just enough oomph. Great for humane slaughter of rabbits. They don't even leave an exit wound.

Have not tried these though.

On another note. I'm seeing bulk packs reappearing in retail stores - Walmart, Dicks, etc. For fairly reasonable prices too. Seems like the ammo shortage is ending, at least for the time being. Maybe I'll be able to find some 380 soon!

10. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My dealer said that he has had problems with the Aguila rounds not making it all the way down the barrel. I'll stick with the CB caps.

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I wonder, having a shorter barrel like the AR-7 has, may make a lot of difference? I know that I shot one once from a 4 inch barrled revolver and it was not so quiet anymore...it definitely made a nice pop!
    I have even tried the subsonic rounds made by Remington ( I think..?) green boxes....
    They are evidently not made for just any firearm, due to their sound...must all be for a suppressed system. They are quite loud!
    Just "horsing around" I pulled the bullets frm some cci's and dumped the powder, then "swaged" some .22 cal pellets into the cases, and sealed the tops with nail polish...They worked. No sound in a rifle at all, and they mushroom like crazy. Not sure about their ballisitcs, or penetration at any given distance....They will punch holes in those aluminum, street light housings though, from about 50-60 ft.
    My favorite today is the remington yellow jackets. Truncated cones, and high speed....but they hit about 4-4 1/2 inches higher than a std round.....
    Problem is they cost me...they do serious damage to the plastic buffers in Marlins and Rugers 10/22 rifles. Worked great in single shot bolt action.....
    It seems a that few rounds seem to function best in a single shot, ( not counting on operating a blowback bolt rifle...)

12. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have those 'super calibri' rounds and love them. Never had a problem with them clearing the barrel. Unless you are shooting FA, you know if you've fired and cleared. With the super colibris, you know you've fired because you can hear a crack 100 yards away. Fun stuff.

Aquilla makes their propellant hotter than normal rounds and you can smell it when you shoot their other stuff. very chemical rather than gunsmoke. Ever try their short shotshells?

edit: the subsonic is the Sniper Sub Sonic or SSS. 40 gr bullet on a 22 short shell. Ouch. The guy I bought my suppressors from told me about a time he killed some coyotes from 150 yards with those.

13. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I did notice a smell from the colibri's that was like a cellulose or acetone mixture...reminded me of nail polish...probably why I though if it for a bullet seal! I haven't paid any attention to the rest of Aguila's rounds....
    It's weird how many different brands act in different makes of firearms.....
    My Marlins and Rugers love some Remingtons, all Peters, and all CCI's....Not so much the Remington's in the dark green boxes...."Thunderbolts". Too dirty and they jam from all the unburned powder, and the barrels look terrible...(too soft lead?)

14. fortunateson

I hear that. Never liked the thunderbolts either, but have plenty!
    In general, regardless of caliber, when dealing with domestic ammo,
    I prefer
    Federal
    Winchester
    Remington
    In that order.

15. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Found the pictures.
    Thread is complete again :)

kellory likes this.
  16. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

I do know that in WWII the English Commando's used Winchester 74's with silencers as close range sniper rifles. I am in the process of testing a Remington 540XR target rifle. I have a couple CZ's that really shoot. I won a turkey shot with one a few weeks ago. My first choice as a survival gun would be my CZ and a .357. I do think not big game will be around long or widely hunt able. Otherwise an AR is great if you have to engage in combat or hunt larger animals. I regard survival as much different than hunting normally.
    I should add that a Win. 74 is a semi-auto 22lr made in the 30's through the 50's. I have one it has a fairly long heavy barrel and is pretty accurate considering it's age and use and that it was run over by the bull wheel of an old time grain binder in the 1950's. It was my dad's and my whole family learned to shoot with it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  17. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

Many common 22 rifles do not do any better with match ammo. That ammo is made to shoot in match rifles with a tighter chamber with no free bore, and a slight choke near the muzzle. Match ammo usually has more consistent velocity but not in every gun. My 540 won't chamber some standard ammo. And it is a challenge to find the ammo that shoots best in any individual gun. Surprisingly some of my better guns like Federal bulk and Remington Golden Bullets.

melbo likes this.
  18. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

Thanks for the info

19. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

The post about the turkey has been around a long time. I read that post in the last century, or not long after that. Of course there are a few problems with the test, first the turkey was frozen and then thawed, the turkey is hollow (no guts and other things slowing that bullet down), etc. Still it is a heck of a test and Desert Frog deserves a BIG thanks for doing it and posting it.

20. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
    D2wing likes this.
  1. natshare
  2. oil pan 4
  3. Oddcaliber
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Brokor
  6. Brokor
  7. RouteClearance
  8. Oddcaliber