Let's talk Honda generators

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by ColtCarbine, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I'm looking to purchase a Honda EB2800i Inverter Generator. I'm leaning towards this one being it is a lot of generator in a small package. It has 2-120 volt GFCI protected duplex outlets and weighs 67 lbs. I have no need for a generator with a DC option that I'm aware of.

I've read a lot of good reviews on the EU2000i but from the sounds of it, it won't meet my needs to run my power tools. Besides that the EB2800i Is the same price as the EU2000i.

I'm a Plumbing Contractor and like the idea of small and lighter, being space inside my plumbing van is valuable.

This is a business purchase for use on remote job sites and/or for instances that a power source is a substantial distance away. Drilling 4 5/8" holes with a self feed bit in wood needs consistent reliable power. Nothing worse than having an interruption in voltage and amps while doing so.

Major tools that will be operated are: air compressor, Milwaukee Hole Hawg, Milwaukee Portable Band Saw.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I suppose it would depend what size compressor you have. Does the genset provide enough watts to start the compressor?

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Honda's are the standard. I know they ain't cheap, but they don't break down. We have the smaller 2000 and it's logged a lot of hours tailgating and using it to power pea shellers out in the field, stuff like that. Besides being reliable they are light and quiet-a big plus for me.

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Agreed. Wouldn't trade mine for anything. EU20i, here.

sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@ColtCarbine Does the EB2800i allow you to run it in parallel with another one EB2800i? I ask because I haven't done the research but will also purchase a generator this Fall. I was going to get the EU2000i but if you say the price is the same, I certainly could use the extra wattage. I never even heard of the EB2800i.

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Generators hate air compressors.
    My fixed speed, 420cc 13hp 7kw generator couldn't even start my 2.5hp air compressor.

The drill and band saw could easily be ran off a power inverter.
    My small sub 1hp air compressor is also ran off my power inverter.
    My 2,000w xantrax pure sine wave power inverter easily does all that and more and only cost under $400.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Generators and air compressors, the bigger compressors only do well if the compressor is set up for 230 v or if used with 115, start with no air in tank and have a continuous run system. Once the tank is pressurized, it is very difficult to restart the electric motor from a dead stop. The problem with most generators is that they use only 1/2 the output per 115 v leg, thus a 5,000 watt generator will put out 5,000 watts at 220 volts, but most will only put out 2,500 watts to one 115 v outlet.

8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Inverters put out full power and only 120 volts that I know of. I have owned my EU200i since 2006 and never regretted the purchase. I would have gone with a 2800 but they didn't exist then.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My 2.5hp air compressor is 240v. Any compressor greater than 1hp is 240v for me now.
    I did fix that compressor by putting a 4 pole motor and modified go cart clutch.
    Now my 7kw generator starts that compressor no problem.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. STANGF150
  2. BailyTheFox
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Dunerunner
  7. azrancher
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. ghrit
  11. oil pan 4