lets talk reloading.....i need help

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by the dog, Mar 1, 2008.

1. the dog

the dog Monkey+++

got a question........i have never reloading at all.i want to be able to reload a few calibers like 30-30,35 rem,300 savage,45-70 govt and 30-06 sprg.i am not talking about doing 1000's of rounds.just a box or 2 over time as needed.the price of ammo is unreal.i seen a box of 45-70 today priced at $40.i have been looking at reloading kits in cabelas.they have about everything.but i seen a lee hand held press.it is small and looks handy.it cost $30 will it work for what i want or should i get a press that mounts on table edge.the rcbs master reloader is priced at $269.i just dont want to sink a lot of money inot somehting i may only reload a box or 2 a year.i just want to make it simple and duplicate factory loads.any help is appreciated.thanks

here is a link to press ia m talking about.nothing fancy just plain and functional...or is it junk??????

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

2. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

It definitely isn't junk. I bought one and have been reloading 50-100 rounds per week for the last several months. I'm doing 45 LCs, and the cost is about 7 bucks/50 versus 25 or so for factory.

Keep in mind that you a die set for each caliber (35-40 USD). I think if you're talking about 2 boxes a year, you're better off buying the high-priced stuff. OR, use the reloader as an excuse to shoot more.

3. the dog

the dog Monkey+++

one of main thoughts is jsut being able to do it myself...not at mercy of a ammo company or store.....just a step in self sufficent direction. federal 300 sav are $26 a box.seems it wont take long to recoop money at these prices.

4. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Well this isnt as easy to answer as you might think .

For those of us that reload we too often started out with the simple goal of reloading for a few calibers and saving money , then it expanded and so did our needs , expierence , and knowledge .

One thing is do you not own any handguns or plan too ?

A well rounded survival plan or even a sound home defense plan includes a handgun or two often of different calibers .

I suggest for the moment as you think over the entire situation , if you are determined to at the leaset procede with some reloading for those rifle rounds listed you buy up some components as the prices on those are rising also . Primers that use to be $18 per thousand are now $30-1,000

Cabela has some Remington 165 gr soft points that would be suitable for hunting in your 30-06 and 300 Savage in a 500 pack for under $100 .

You also want to find a local source where you can get say 1,000 primers each in the sizes you will be using . Do NOT order your primers as there is a Hazmat fee in addition to the regular shipping charges on explosives "Primers and Powder" and they must ship seperately and will both have the hazmat fee added to them . I suggest Winchester Primers .

You could get a set up that would be flexable enough to load not only the rifle rounds listed but also pistol rounds in a timely manner for under $250 by going with the Lee Classic Turret Kit and adding a few things like a Perfect Powder Measure for your rifle powders .

Once you get into it you'll find that you don't rally save money but instead shoot more for the same ammount of money you would spend if that makes sense .

I strongly suggest you get a good book to get started "The ABC's of Reloading" is about the best book you can get and can find it at Amazon.com for about $10 .

If you want more specific information just let me know .

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If you are getting into reloading to load "just a few rounds" to save money, just keep buying the high priced stuff. Reloading can be an expensive proposition. I strongly suggest a table mounted system, the hand systems will work, but after decapping, sizing, loading and crimping, you will rapidly get tired of it. You are looking at several hundred dollars once you start buying dies, trimmers, tumbler, and the miriad of other tools. You mentioned four calibers, so at $30 per die set, you are already talking $120 for just the dies. $50 for a good used press, trimmer, bullet puller (you will make mistakes) scales, funnel.... Are you getting the point? Reloadin is a delibrate operation that takes dedication if you want to do it right.
    With that said, I suggest you do it, most reloaders do it for the hobby instead of the money savings. Once you get going going, you will get hooked and you will find more equipment and start dedicating more time and space for it.

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

This is correct. Funny thing though, I am actually saving money too. I have several friends that like to use my stuff and they always have powder and bullets left over and always load an extra rack or two for me to try out (their brass). sort of a nice little perk.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm surprised you guys didn't send the dog to the handloader's bench.

Dog, you can get there from the SM main page, click on the link. Those guys are great for that sort of info.

8. the dog

the dog Monkey+++

thanks for all the advise.i understand about 'getting into it' thing sometimes we start hobbies that we really enjoy and they morf.....lol......anyhting you do is expensive anymore.but i live in a remote setting.there is a small town close by but no place to get reloading goods.the "big city" is a decent drive away.it now costs me $40 in gas to go there and back...soooooo.....just in gas it could save me a bundle.i think..at least for me....in the future i will be staying home much more.i think being able to reload will add to that stay at home thing.i lived in Alaska for a short time.i read some books about some brothers and the one thing they used all the time was their reloaders.but they done alot of shooting.i can already see my "project" is going to morf....lol..oh well you only live once.thanks for all the talk and time.

9. Claymor

Claymor Monkey+++

I have one of the hand-loaders that you mentioned in your first post.

I couldn't get it to properly resize full-size rifle brass (308's). Pistol ammunition was fine, and 45-70 probably would be, also.

One thing that has worked is to decap & resize my rifle brass on my RBCS bench press, then take my primers, powder, bullets, & the hand press when I would go on vacation to visit my wife's family. When there would be down-time, or she would be chatting with her sisters, I would be increasing my ammunition supply.

I've also used the Lee die kit (that you use a nylon or leather mallet with). Again revolver & bolt-action ammo was OK, but some automatics didn't like its product.

10. dukenukum

dukenukum Monkey+++

when I was an apartment dweller I used one still have it works great .

11. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

one word "e-bay"...

12. sniper-66

Ghrit, you are correct in the handloaders bench, sorry I didn't mention it.

Now Sea, I have to disagree with you. You have been connected to the Matrix to long and you are unable to see the real truth, you need to get one of those little colored pills.
    It appears that you are saving money, however, what is really happening is that you are being given more trigger pulls. Follow my logic here. Lets say that you have $100 for ammunition and that gives you 200 trigger pulls at $.50 a round. Now, for $100 reloading, you can make it for $.20, that gives you 500 trigger pulls. Tell me once in your life where you had $100 to spend and you went, "I'm only going to spend $40 of it because I only need 200 rounds". No, you spend the money and get the 500 rounds worth, load 500 rounds, and increase your trigger time by 300, hence you don't really save money. If you did, you would take that extra $60 and put it in your child's college fund and they would be much better educated and you wouldn't have the stockage of ammunition that you do.
    Now Neo, argue against that logic, Word Up!!!

P.S., Can you tell that the Matrix is on TV right now?

13. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Kids are out of college. Work too much and don't get nearly enough range time; if it weren't for the machine-guns, I would be stock-piling. I guess you do kinda have a point though; stop by Mobile some time and we'll burn some of it up for a good cause.

14. Claymor

Claymor Monkey+++

I shot competition for about 24 years, & reloading was a necessity.

15. sniper-66

No @#%$!!! I'm in Ft. Rucker for the next three weeks!

16. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Good bug out reloading instrument, try the Lee Classic Turrent press for home use. They are a great value also.

17. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Check out the Lee Classic Turrent press. Under a 100.00 at Cabela's. Mine is great. Get a good digital scale, and some dies and off to the range- cheaper.

18. badkarma

badkarma ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i'd recommend an RCBS rock chucker press. they even make a "kit" that comes with the press, powder scale, primer tray, loading block, re-priming tool, etc etc for less than $300 IIRC.

19. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

I save a TON of money reloading. Well - actually I shoot twice as much for the same cost i used to buy ammo for.....

But seriously for large caliber premium projectiles like Noslers, Swift, or A frames - you can load your own ammo for half the cost of buying factory loaded. It doesn't take but a few hundred shots to break even.

1. Gator 45/70
    Link Shooter's Reference Cartridges
    Thread by: Gator 45/70, Dec 11, 2023, 2 replies, in forum: Firearms
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. wideym
  4. Gator 45/70
  5. Ura-Ki
  6. deMolay
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid