Let's talk smallbore, just for S&G

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ghrit, Nov 19, 2009.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I love my 22's.

I have a Ruger 10/22, Win 67, Moss 320TR, a "no name" revolver, Henry Survival Rifle, a Win '06, and a Sig Mosquito (oh, can't forget about my daughters pink Cricket).

All are more accurate than I am, with the possible except of the survival rifle. The Win67 & Mos 320 are single shot bolt action rifles.

Would a .25-20 rifle be considered small bore? I've got a Marlin 1894 that was my Great-Grandmothers rifle as well

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have a Mach II as well, great little .17. Very accurate.

3. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

What I have:
    Ruger 10/22
    S&W Model 63 Kit Gun
    Ruger Single Six Hunter
    Ruger Single Six Standard
    Some single shot junior .22 that I bought for my daughter (don't remember the make)

What I want:
    SAI M6 Scout Wish I had bought one when they were everywhere :rolleyes:

I think I may sell the Ruger Single Sixes. I think a .22LR dedicated revolver is way better for my needs. I want to update the 10/22 with better sights, walnut stock, and a 18" barrel. I could probably buy another to save money but I've had it since I was a kid.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

KCKNDRGN, I have the Mossberg 320BB - supposedly once a Boy Scout rifle though I can't verify that. It has the Mossberg factory peep sight, and the later 'long' action that can make fitting a scope somewhat difficult regarding eye relief (my Mossberg 640KD in .22WMR suffers the same problem!). It's a real shooter, though the trigger is grittier than the earlier Mossy actions.
    When a range buddy told me he had 'this old twentytwo rifle' for sale, he said at first it was a 'Savage', and I was looking for an early Savage to fill in that part of my .22 collection. BUT... I was pleased that it was a Mossy! I am still filling in THAT collection too! ;)
    This one needed only minor work to clean up, unlike the old M146B that I bought off a kid at the range years back - it was a rusted RUIN! But, I ran a patch throughit, and the bore was clean and bright! It ended up cleaning up very nicely, and I totally refinished it. Pretty good for a poor rifle that had spent years stuck under a trailer!
    You just can't kill a good ol' Mossberg! :D

5. kckndrgn

Seawolf, I don't know about your Mossy, but the TR version is a smooth bore, with the exception of about the last 6" I think. There is an insert that has the rifling, there is supposed to be a smooth bore insert for shooting shot shells.

The original package came with clay targets, a thrower for the clay targets, both barrel inserts, and something else I think.

Since I got the rifle as a Christmas present from my Step-Grandfather many, many years ago I did not get any of the accessories, if I had those, it might be worth something. Oh well, I've got a nice shooter ;)

6. fwilliam1

fwilliam1 Monkey++

I agree on the .17 HMR. I have a Mossberg 817 in .17HMR that is deadly on small game. You have to make head shots if you plan on using the meat, a hit in the body has devastating impact on what's left. I have 2 10/22's one with an aimpoint sight for gophers, the other with a scope for plinking etc. I have a Browning "A" bolt that's a favorite of my daughter as well as an old Cooey model 60 and a Russian made Vostok. Ah yes you can never have too many .22's.

7. Catdaddy

Catdaddy Monkey+

I love my 22's- I have 5 and shoot them regularly. Lots of fun for pocket change. Although I would hate to part with any of them, I bet when the SHTF they will be worth their weight in gold as barter items- so I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, if the deal was smokin'.

Head shooting squirrels with a 22 was my introduction to hunting DECADES ago... and I still prefer tree rat and rice over Brunswick stew...

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I love the 5.4mm German Mauser that was used to train Hitlers youth. The size and design and such is the same as the K98 and it chambers and fires .22 ammo but .22 is 5.5mm so it shoots the projectile out at unreal velocities. Good to be sure and wear eyes with it though as the brass sometimes splits and sends hot powder back through the bolt. Shoots FLAT past 400 yards and is a total 1 hole gun.

Dad kept the family in squirl with it when he was growing up and I put many many bricks of ammo through it growing up.

9. D-Roy

D-Roy Monkey+

I've got the standard 10/22 and a S&W Model 18 (or is it 17?) pistol w/ 6" barrel. My first pistol as a kid and I still love it!

I'd really love to get a .22LR or .22 mag lever action or pump rifle - I've got a soft spot for lever action rifles. I saw a nice Browning model (BL-22) but was amazed at the price (retails at $499-$599). I could easily buy a 30-30 Marlin, etc. and usually have a bit left over. Not as cheap to shoot though;). The Henry models are much cheaper, but I've heard so-so reports on the quality of the steel in the receiver.

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

KCKNDRGN, I had forgot about the smoothbores! I found one at the local gunshow a couple years back, the guy wanted a mint for it - beat up and without the accessories! I passed.

11. E.L.

While I really like my 10/22's my favorite .22 is my Winchester 9422. Take a fine bead with it and it is deadly. Just ask the MZB squirrels and crows that have been dispatched in my back yard with CB caps.

12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a 1022 that I salvaged from a sunk boat and rebuilt; its a fun plinker. My favorite is is my Winchester 63 but I got a little Colt saddle carbine that used to belong to my wife's brother that is cute as a bug and fun to shoot. When I get serious about small game, my 7722 Ruger is usually the tool. I have .22 conversions for my ARFs, 1911s, and have one of those Springfield .22/.410 survival guns. My favorite .22 pistol is my Colt Woodsman, made the same year I was but still in a lot better shape. I have a couple of High Standards that are real tack-drivers; a Trophy set up now as a Steel challenge open gun,, and a HD Military that has taken many squirrels. I carry a Llama .22 that is built just like a midget 1911 in my pocket when I go walking the puppies. I have a Colt Diamondback in .22 also. The .22 is one of the most entertaining firearms available and more folks get introduced to shooting with them than anything else. Here's a pic of a few of my favorites.
    IMGP0003.JPG

13. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Have to agree that my favorite firearms to play with are 22's. I own 6 rifles and 6 handguns and am always on the lookout for more. Always liked the lever guns and will find one at a good price one of these days. Waiting for the ground squirrels to come out of hibernation so the wife and I can try out the latest 22's:

Ruger 10/22 with a Hogue stock, aftermarket bull barrel and 3x9 scope.
    GSG-5 with folding stock and red dot sight.

14. E.L.

How do you like the GSG-5? I have been tempted to buy one.

15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Decided to use this thread for the HSR update. I painted it in fall colors to suit my area, and it looks ok. I might not keep it this color...

It is a nice little plinker, but I had to do a little work on it (lube, action, replaced takedown bolt) to get it to function well. The Henry Survival Rifle is not exactly accurate; it is simply a small, lightweight, portable and floating .22 rifle.
    henry1. henry2.

16. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

<style></style>EL, I just recently acquired this rifle and have only put a few mags through it to sight it in and play around. When I saw your question I loaded up a couple mags and went outside for some rapid fire testing. Doing 5 to 7 round rapid firing was flawless. Previously after sighting it in when I was playing around, 50 yard offhand and 100 yard rested shots should have the squirrels in major trouble when they come back out. I did not do any bench shooting for groups so can't tell you anything about that.

The rifle is a high quality very well made firearm and has the same weight and feel as a MP-5. You would expect a 22 like this to feel like a toy, but this definitely does not. The one thing I might change is to put a small variable scope on it instead of the red dot for longer range shooting. The only negatives for me, but would not stop me from buying it are: folding stock when extended has some vertical movement, typical assault weapon heavy trigger pull and will not fire with the mag removed.

Oh yea, you asked me how do I like it, well I like it a lot and would recommend it. If you want one buy it while you can or before possible price increases. The importer ATI lost a lawsuit with HK and they are no longer importing these weapons into the country, but ATI will continue to do the warranty and repair work on the ones already here.

17. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

aimSurplus.com has the GSG-5 for $440 (FFL needed of course). Not sure if that's a good price or not. They're pretty cool looking, so it's nice to hear they shoot pretty well - you'd expect that from German engineering.

18. E.L.

Sweet! I am a big fan of the MP-5's, they fit me well.

19. kckndrgn

Get the GSG while you can. They lost an infringement lawsuit and had to stop importing into the U.S. I believe. I may be wrong, but that's what I remember.

20. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

"New" Remington model 341 -- it's a beauty! Made sometime between 1936 and 1940. Shoots .22 Short, Long, and LR. Holds about 15 LR in the loading tube. Haven't shot it yet

It appears that the stock has been refinished, but that's ok with me. Everything is in great condition.
    7658_800. 7661_800. 7665_800. 7667_850. 7670_850. 7672_625. 7674_750. 7676_800.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7