Lever action

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Disciple, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

guys there is a debate that exists as to the pro's and cons of making use of a lever action rifle for use in the famous shtf situation.......I know we have all thought about it. in your minds what are your pro's and cons in using such a rifle for survival and which would be your choice lever action ?

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

If i had to use a lever action i would choose a .30-.30 like the Winchester model 94 or one of the marlins.

Pros: You can transport a lever action in California or else where without too many raised eyebrows... it's not a "black" gun.. they tend to make good brush guns due to their length and have a 300 yrd + range... common ammo generally available any where that sells ammo... decent number of rounds in the magazine

cons : hard to shoot in the probne position, slower reloads...

just my thoughts...

3. azprospector

azprospector Happy Desert Rat

You can't go wrong with the Winchester model 94 as part of your survival gear. I've taken more game over the last 60 plus years with this rifle than probably any other, except maybe a 22LR for all those really small game critters. For most, the vast majority of game they are going to be taking will be shot within 150 yards. Probably even closer if they are a good tracker and know what they are doing.

The reason I am so partial to the 30-30 probably has a lot to do with the fact that I learned to shoot with one at the age of 8 and it just feels natural in the hand. Another big advantage is that it is light. That really is appreciated by the end of a long days hunt.

I have a number of other rifles and none of them shoot like my Winchester. I could be that I'm just an old desert rat who has gotten too set in his ways but there are a lot of others who feel the same way. Another factor that the Winchester 94 has going for it is a very long history of dependability. You can almost bet your life on the fact that if you obtain one, it's going to go bang the first time you fire it.

4. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I did have a win 94 in .30-.30- but none the less my brother sold it on my behalf, and I cracked his coconut......but anyhow I'm looking at a henry big-boy to go along with a 1955 russian sks. the lever action would be in .44 mag. It do like it because it is lightweight and ammo is easy to get and it's not your ave "black" gun. I can get by carrying it in my truck along with my 12 gauge without getting stopped by the cops. shooting in the prone postion is not a problem for me cause I just dont do it If I cant shoot kneeling, or standing I just won't shoot. truthfully speaking I'm a big guy, so I have certain limitations at this particular time, I am working at aleviating that sit. but its just time now.

5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Can't really go wrong with a lever action in .30-30. I have 2 Marlin 336's (one was mine, one was my dads that I got on his passing). Both are excellent guns.

I also have a Puma 92, in 44Mag. I like this gun, don't know why but i just shoot good with it. My plan it to get a 44Mag revolver to match up with it, shared ammo. Nice thing about the 44 is I can get shot shells for it as well, limited use I know, but still nice to have versatility.

6. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

If a lever is what you have when SHTF, then that is what you use. Someone that is skilled with one will probably do OK. My take on them is that they are slow to reload, have limited magazine capacities, and can't put out the volume of firepower that may be necessary in some situations.

7. azprospector

azprospector Happy Desert Rat

Your correct Grey Wolf in that no lever action rifle is going to put out the volume that a semi-auto will. Each persons situation will be different but one thing everyone should do to the best of their ability and means is have a variety of weapons at their disposal to deal with any situation. I see in most SHTF situations the need for heavy fire power will pretty much not be needed on a daily basis after 6 months.

The first few months will probably clean out the majority of the crazy and dangerous elements and leave those of us who wish to live a normal life the way our Lord meant us to. There will till be situation where weapons capable of heavy fire power will be needed but for most of us, keeping food on the table and keep predators, 2 & 4 legged in control. The old reliable 30-30 will fit in very well and can be a very effective weapon for every day use.

8. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

From a caliber standpoint, you can't afford not to have a 30-30. We've had a 92 and we now have a 94.

30-30 is one of the most popular deer calibers ever. Ammo is common. The new Leverlution projectiles have really extended the range of what was a 100 yd bullet.

If I lived in a place with an AWB I would move. If that wasn't an option, a lever gun may be my preferred gun. A bolt action gun offers similar advantages and with a surplus gun, you could buy surplus ammo. Something else to think about.

9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a Trapper Winchester in .45LC that I carry often. It is a handy little truck rifle.

10. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I have got nothing personally against "bullet pukers" I used to have 2 ak-47's, and am wanting a dpms lr-308 battle rifle. they do have their purpose in extended bettle conditions. What I am speaking of in those situations where it is more advantages to be able Pick off one at a time with either a .30-.30, or a .44 mag with a shot in the brain bucket it's one shot one death. if you have one or two up in trees 6 guys or more with bullet pukers on the ground then one or two 700 800 yards out with a remington 700 in .308 you got a decent battle group. Its just a variation.

11. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

If you can afford only one decent rifle, what would you choose?
    Personally, I would rather have to hunt with a fighting rifle than have to fight with a hunting rifle.

12. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

well, gray wolf I would have to say I would take a lever action, here is my reasoning If you only have a so much money for a rifle you also are on limited funds for things like ammo. Knowing this I would rather have a gun that trully shoots one bullet at a time and get proficient with that gun. instead of the bullet puker, My reasoning is this you get proficient with that lever action it's one shot one kill where with a bullet puker you might have 6 or 7 shots and one bullet will hit and kill one the others are embedded in trees, bouncing of rocks, and what ever else yeah you can cause allot of injuries with a bullet puker but if your not proficient with it at high rates of ammo going through it. it is basically a useless weapon. so the lever action if one is proficient with it. and if you are out there alone and are staying suffieciently hidden.
    why worry about troops coming after just one man, If they send 500 troops after me yeah I'll go down shootin but I'll still be going down none the less, it's that way with all of us. I don't care if your armed to the teeth. If you are alone you are toast, no questions asked. So really it doesnt matter if you have a bullet puker, a gattling gun or a lever action or a single shot rifle and a one eyed dog, if they are after your hind-end, they will get you thats what I'm trying to convey.......................... So really it doesn't matter which gun you use, as long as you can live with that decision and can actually "survive" in a harsh enviroment. In that enviroment it's not the troops I'm going to be worried about It's that momma bear, or that pack of wolves, or that hungery mountain lion lthats looking at me like i'm a freaking pork chop. thats what I'm going to worry about, and in that situation a big honking bullet puker may not be the best gun suited for that situation. Unfortunatly it is all personal preferance.

13. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Marlin 336 in .35 Rem or Marlin model 444 - that is to say if it had to be lever gun for big game.

I would not discount a pump action Rem 7600 in .308 or '06 also comes in .243 and .270 win. - you can get 10 rd mags for $40. and no end to customizing. These are much better duel purpose rifles than the lever gun IMO.

14. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

It would be nice though to have a lever action from marlin or henry that would shoot a .40s&w. It would make life awhole lot Easier. then I could shoot the same cal as my handgun.

15. Rex Lee

Rex Lee Monkey+

I had a .44 mag lever action, great gun but wouldn't be my choice for a SHTF rifle. The .44 mag rifle is as big/heavy as a main battle rifle and ballistically the .44 drops around 100 inches at 300 yds. Great close range brush gun for hogs. Not very versatile though. Plus ammo costs twice as much. The .30-30 is a better choice, if you prefer a lever gun. Still not great ballistically, but I wouldn't feel too bad off with a .30-30 and a dozen boxes of ammo if SHTF.

Here is a graphic comparing the bullet drop at 300 yards, of the .44 mag, .30-30 and a .308 for comparison. It is based on a pistol, but believe me, a rifle wont change velocity/drop enough to make it good at that range.
    _44_vs_3030_vs308.JPG

16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hey if it was good enough for John Wayne....
    Just have to pick your target's better and shoot steady...
    One in a .308 would reach out and touch someone though....

17. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

you would have to pick your ammo carefully... pointed rounds in a tube magazine are a no-no....

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

True Dat....
    I understand in recent year's some ammo manf's have addressed that problem......

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

True, unless you find the polymer tipped "Leverevolution" rounds in your local wallet drainer shop. Hornady, I thinks, I do ---

20. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

isnt there a equivelant in the leverevolution that works as well as say .308 ? and what I'm saying something that packs as much punch (besides .44 mag) and is as close to the balistics of the .308 round. I know the .45 packs decent punch.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7