lever actions and single shots

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman1111, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I just sold my Henry Goldenboy .45-70. I liked it ok but prefer my double-barreled rifle in that caliber.

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

3. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Anyone like a M 71 in .348? A little hard to find now and ammo is limited so reloading helps.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. secondrecon

secondrecon Monkey+++

My favorite and only lever action is a Savage Mdl 99 Take down in .300 Savage and I have the .410 shot gun barrel set with it. Will send pics later

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have several lever actions, Three that are the special to me two are Marlin 336's and the other is a Marlin 1894. One was my father's that my son inherited. The other was the 336 that my dad got for me when I first started hunting when I was around 15. Slight differences between the two guns but I love going deer hunting with either one.

Another that was inherited was a Marlin 1894, chambered in 25-20. Based on the serial number, it was manufactured in 1897 and as far as I know it has been in my family since the original purchase (or so I'm told). This one was inoperable when I was a kid, it was always just a show piece and would have stories told about how my dad's aunt used it to put food on the table. When I got it (again, it went to my son, not me, but at the time he was less than a year old) I decided I wanted it operational again. I was able to strip it, replace broken/missing pieces and had the barrel re-lined. The original finish was worn off and someone in my families history painted the metal black (there were visible runs in the paint). I stripped it and reblued it. Now I'm reloading my own 25-20 rounds and the rifle will be handed off to my son when he's ready.

Alf60, oldawg, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Not a huge fan of lever actions but am real fond of breech load single and double shots. My favorite small game hunting gun is a old oddball .22LR .410 over under Stevens .22 on top .410 under. Have gotten kind of fond of a .270 New England Firearms single shot breech load I picked up in a tractor trade deal a few years ago. Had planned on selling it or trading it but I kind of got attached to it and its simplicity.

Been thinking about finding one of these to replace the Stevens for my tree rat and bunny hopper gun.
    .22/.410 Savage Hybrid | Gun Review

jim2, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

PXL_20210624_232637539.
    PXL_20210620_031059194.
    Not too bad, all things considered! Restoring it, with out Restoring it!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

PXL_20210625_201321085.MP.
    It didn't look like it had much rust inside, but as you can see, looks can be deceiving! Now it's all brand new shiny bare metal ready for bluing and then aging back to original worn, minus all the rust and caked grease and schmutz! A little tig welding inside the receiver to tighten up the bolt lock slide, as well as the slides rails and she is good as new, should be smooth as glass and lighting quick!
    PXL_20210626_210529829.

9. Txmoose

Txmoose Monkey+++

500 S&W, 7 shots, lot of fun to shoot. 9C1FEEB4-1629-4877-A6D6-202590C118CE.

mysterymet, jim2, Mountainman and 3 others like this.
  10. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

What power is that scope, it looks like a Leupold..

11. Txmoose

Txmoose Monkey+++

2.5x long eye relief Luepold

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7