Combat Studies Group Liberty Tablet Update #1

Discussion in '3 Percent' started by melbo, Apr 10, 2015.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]
    I have received an avalanche of emails related to the upcoming tablet. Instead of trying to answer each one individually, I will try to address all the questions right here in a FAQ fashion.....

FAQ

1. What are the hardware specs?

7 inch tablet
    1920x1200 resolution (HD)
    Gorilla Glass screen
    5mp back camera, 1.2mp front camera (with blockers included)
    Quad Core Snapdragon 1500mhz processor
    2048mb RAM
    16 or 32 GB of on board storage
    3950mAh battery
    Wireless/Qi charging ability
    NFC disabled (for security)
    built in microphone removed on request (can still use a plugin headphone/mic combo if desired)
    baseband radio firmware removed (for security)
    Bluetooth 4.0
    Wifi a,b,g,n

2. What operating system does it run?

A highly customized Cyanogenmod with SElinux rules, Secdroid hardening and several security specific mods.

3. Will it have Google on it, or the Play Store?

No. Google has so many apps and backdoors that snoop on you it would make your head spin. This system is free of all that. There will be three available stores for desired apps.

4. Can I still use the tablet for my day to day tasks? Listening to music, etc....

Yes. It will come with safe apps for music, video, internet browsing and secure email, chat and telephony.

5. Will the tablet use TOR?

TOR will be available on it, as well as I2P, Mesh networking and a very strong VPN. I am also working on a VPN/TOR/ObfsProxy combo setup for extreme anonymity.

6. What VPN service are you using?

I have gotten it down to three candidates. They offer no logging, offshore protection and anonymous payment systems.....as well as meeting my standards for the highlest level encryption available.

7. What physical security will the tablet have, for example, what if it falls into the wrong hands?

The tablet will have a very robust disk encryption system separate from the login password with a user specified self destruct in the event that the password is entered wrong a certain number of times or a brute-force hack is attempted. The bootloader and recovery are also locked.
    Also comes with a Faraday/RF shielded pouch, for when you want it to go completely dark.

8. Is it durable and/or Milspec?

Yes. It will come in a MIL-STD-810F certified housing. It is not fully waterproof at this time, but can take some rain or light splashing.

9. Since this is an especially secure device, will it be a pain in the ass for the non-geek to use?

I have gone to great lengths to keep the tablet as user friendly as possible without compromising the security. With that said, security comes first every time so there will be a small learning curve. Not to worry though, I have been testing it with my technology hating wife and she has not had too many issues.

10. What other useful software will it include?

A secure wallet for the major crypto currencies in use.
    Anti Virus and Malware suite
    An eReader/book app
    Secure browser
    TOR browser
    Encrypted notepad
    Steganography app
    PGP/GPG client
    Secure IM
    Mac spoofer
    Software Defined Radio apps
    Metadata removal software
    Mapping app
    Ballistics software
    Thermal camera (separate add-on)
    Police/EMS scanner
    Secure file wipe/shred
    DNS switcher
    Serverless email system
    One touch, throw away email addresses
    Secure anonymous cloud storage

Will also come with a USB multi-port device for using normal flashdrives and for SDR radio add ons later.

11. How do we know you aren't really working for a shady corporate/government group and this is just a honeypot for mining our data?

Well, frankly, you don't. There is nothing I can really say to convince someone that I am one of the good guys if paranoia has led them to think otherwise. If you know me personally or have taken my classes or have been visiting my site over the years, you should have a pretty good idea of what I am about. I have been a staunch privacy and liberty advocate since before I even joined the military as a young man long ago. This project started as something for myself and my family members, to enhance our data and communications security. It was only due to repeated requests and cajoling from my colleagues that I agreed to make them available to the public.
    One more thing to consider - I can guarantee you that iPad, Macbook or Windows device you are reading on right now is comprimised and sending every detail of your life to corporate thinktanks and government central planners.

12. How much will they cost?

I am still putting the finishing touches on them and have not finalized the price. Similar "military grade" tablets on the market go for around $1000 (and don't have the enhanced security I am offering). I am looking at keeping the price at least half that, if not less.

13. How will they be shipped?

Any way you prefer. USPS, UPS, FedEx, personal courier......doesn't matter to me. Some folks have some trepidation about using certain carriers - I will work with you to get it delivered in whatever way makes you feel the most secure.

14. How do we pay?

I will get a Paypal button set up on the new Store page. I also accept Bitcoin, or Darkcoin if you really need anonymity. We can also do old-school money orders if that is more your speed.

15. Are any services included in the price, such as VPN subscription or VOIP service?

I will be including an Unseen account with each unit (Unseen has the best security solution on the market right now for chat/phone/video). I may also include a 6 month VPN service for free once I decide on the provider.

16. Will the product continue to evolve or is this it?

Yes, in technology as in any warfare, we must strive to keep up with advances and an ever shifting landscape. I definitely want feedback from you as you use the tablet.....things you don't like, things you would like to see included, etc.

17. What happens if I break it?

If it breaks the first month due to a design flaw, send it back and I will fix it at my cost.
    If you smash the screen or destroy the USB port or something like that, send it back and I can repair it for a fair price.

18. How many are available?

I have 12 this batch, with 6 spoken for already. I plan on having a much larger batch ready by March.

Let me know if I didn't answer your question. I should be finished testing in the next few weeks and hope to ship after the holidays.​
    [​IMG]

Continue reading...

Ganado, Dont and Tully Mars like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7