Life Altering Moments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ganado, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I did a 2 week silent retreat a couple of years ago and it changed my life.

After 14 days of silence I was a different person. I listen more now, talk less. Other people tell me I'm a brilliant conversationalst. Not because I talk but because I listen which makes me the most interested person in the room. The person the most interested in other people. This whole experience made me aware of the need for others to be heard. We have so few listeners in the world.

Anyone else have a life altering experience?
    One that changed how you view the world?

Sgt Nambu, Bandit99, AD1 and 10 others like this.
  2. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

when I was younger in high school I used to spend weeks at a time in the mountains high up in the Olympics by my self just to reload get away getting back to nature sit and take the time to watch the circle of life and learn to not take things for granted and how to truly be free and live in the wild

not sure if that counts or not

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2016
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

A woman that was silent for 14 days hmmm.... fascinating!!!!! :lol:

Life altering events for myself..... mass casualty event (plane crash)... a man walked up to me on fire asking for help. Life is precious and short....enjoy every day you have upright on this planet!!

Green Ramp disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sgt Nambu, Bandit99, AD1 and 8 others like this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I was beaten and starved as a child for many years.
    I played alone in the dirt, with toys made from sticks.
    I spent countless hours hiding in a dog house in the back yard.
    I know a thing or two about silence. I was beaten, but never was I broken.
    I also know the reasons why it happened to me, and I am not angry. I am thankful.
    I appreciate every smile, and I will not accept "I can't" as an answer.
    Once we set our minds to focus, we can do anything.
    I created an entire world in my mind, and every moment belonged to me.

I was an abused child. I never turned to crime, I'm not an alcoholic or violent.
    I live my life in service to others, in a manner I choose.
    Because, these moments are mine.

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I learned so much about life while facing death, holding death in my hands, It truly changed who I am, and how I live life! To see a man holding onto some small shred of life, while it is slowly escaping his grasp is the most life changing experience I have ever had. To have a small part in saving that man's life forever drives me!!! I cannot escape who I am, I embrace it, own it, make it mine!!!

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Having attended 14 different schools while growing up and my first marriage was life altering. It taught me that others have values and agendas that are contrary to what I believe. In itself, that is what motivates me to prep and distrust others until they prove they are not a threat.

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Going to a third world country when I was 20 and seeing what poor really meant.

Sgt Nambu, Bandit99, john316 and 8 others like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have had a number of life altering events throughout my life time, starting with asking Jesus Christ into my life.
    That was the best most significant positive one .

Once while working on a relatively flat car port roof, I was using a push broom sweeping backwards as to not break up the old material any more than necessary . I steeped right off into mid air and in that moment could see the ground in front of me and felt as it were a big sheet behind me that pushed me back on the roof .
    In those days I weighted roughly 190 lbs and played football and wrestling in High school, as well as doing construction with my dad during the summer. It wasn't wind that pushed me back on the roof.
    I have seen many miracles through out my life, and seen lives changed ,healed and stress relieved .

Bandit99, john316, Sunchaser and 7 others like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Looking back I can now see that fighting for my life was what saved my life.

10. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yes. I had one.You can read about it in my upcoming book. The Million Dollar Da$h. Reserve a copy now. [afro]

Ganado and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

The birth our first child was and still is life changing.

12. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

A pistol aimed at my face that just went click. I knew then I had just received a gift.

13. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Standing at the border between East and West Germany back in 1981, like looking into a black and white movie from a color one. Suffered from depression for 2 weeks.
    We are quickly becoming a black and white movie here, it makes me very nervous!

Ura-Ki, Dunerunner, Sgt Nambu and 5 others like this.
  14. Sunchaser

Sunchaser Monkey

Wow. Truly inspiring events everyone. I can't say I've actually had one myself, at least none that would compare to the ones described above. I do feel as though I try to put myself in other people's shoes often. I can't watch scary movies because of this :). It's awesome you all were able to take events like this and use them to better you. Thanks for sharing!

Ura-Ki, Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  15. john316

john316 Monkey+++

yes

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Bad habit of nearly getting killed did a lot for me.

Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Apology in advance for a long winded tale...

I had a good friend from HS, the kind where I would stay over at his place, we'd play ping-pong all nite, set off illegal fireworks, fix each other's car kind of friend.

He stayed in town, went to University, I had my deferment pulled two years into my degree program (another long story for another time which explains my still seething hatred for bureaucrats) so joined The Force. This was to at least maintain the illusion that I has some control over my own life.

While back @ my hometown on leave in route to a new duty station, my buddy Ron dropped by. We had a nice long chat. He'd graduated and had a good job, was working gigs on the weekend playing his trumpet in a local band and was, for all appearances, going well.

A month later I got a note from my folks that he'd killed himself. Several years later I was able to run into a mutual bud to get the full story. The reason for his death was even more disturbing owing to the (to me) trivial nature of his 'problem'.

It was gut check time for me.

I'm still pi$$ed at Ron for throwing his life away over something so stupid as to be sicking. It also taught me to pay attention to what people are saying. I played our last conversation over and over in my head - and in retrospect, I missed a couple of big flags... I can't undo what is done - but I can damn well make sure it never happens again to/with anyone I know.

It took my losing a bud, and it was a lesson I will never forget. There is more truth to the saying - A friend in need is a friend indeed - than you might think....

/rant

Ura-Ki, Sunchaser, Dunerunner and 5 others like this.
  18. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Pulling the trigger on a 1911 I that had in my mouth should have been a life-ending moment...

Watching as the friend who was trying to talk me down gently took the gun, recocked the hammer and fired the gun successfully into the air was a life-altering moment.

The sunrise was especially beautiful that morning as I resolved that I no longer had any doubts about the existence of God, that my life was indeed in God's hands and that while every day may be a good day to die...it's an even better day to live.

Ura-Ki, Sunchaser, Dunerunner and 4 others like this.
  19. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Wow! My little epiphany and issues seem so small now! I'm truly glad that you folks all survived that, often terrible, moment!
    I was at my post, on a 2nd Infantry Div. Guard Post, looking into N Korea, when they decided to throw a few 14.5mm Heavy Machine Gun rounds at us. One of those rounds hit a sandbag about two feet from my head! Now, this bag had probably been filled in about 1953, this happened in 1967. Those bags were as hard as rocks, all the time, and frozen to about -30*F when the bullet hit it. It literally disappeared as a sandbag, instantly! Debris hit me and the concussion threw me to the ground! No real wounds, just peppered with sand!
    As I lay there, two things happened. First, I was awe struck by what a beautiful day it was! My face didn't hurt because of the brisk frostbite turning my flesh to ice, in fact the cold felt great! I've managed to, generally, appreciate and enjoy life since!:D
    The other thing was, wow, I must be growing up! I didn't pee myself! Haven't since either, at least not from fear. Like I said at the start, pretty puny, huh.

Ura-Ki, Ganado, Sunchaser and 3 others like this.
  20. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Nothing is so terrible that a good friend cannot help you face and resolve. Testing God's plan for us, though; is not the best of ideas. I thanked God today, that he saw fit to be watching over you that day.

Ura-Ki, Ganado, Sunchaser and 3 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7