Life without car and a backpack to shop for food in town ..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hank2222, Feb 19, 2011.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

All the more reason to learn gardening ASAP.
    It is a long learning curve and not to be taken for granted.

3cyl likes this.
  2. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

We have a small local store about 5 miles away but that store wont last if things get bad. The big chain stores are many miles further and opne of the main reasons we prep the things we do. Walking out of here is the last thing I plan doing. Buying propane for the jeep RIGHT NOW at .99 cents a gallon is the best answer I have . I just wish I had the money for the big tank and wet leg right NOW. Amerigas is offering .99 cents a gallon for fill ups.

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@Kingfish , get as many propane jugs as you can , I use a 100# one that has the nice birthday , get it filled for 50 bucks & the tip it upside down with a hose from that 100# held high or above the MT old jug connected male to male hose & overnight it will transfer .
    Your working with 120PSIG and use gloves & goggles , so you don't burn yourself. weigh scale is to know the amount inside .100# bottle is 181# for my bottles , weight is embossed on them TW =81# plus my 100# LPG =181 # with an 20% area for expansion !!
    DO-NOT over fill for storage , they will fart it out !! I know .
    I have amassed more than one wet sub & I can move it if need be .(tractor for the 500 pigs) .

But you get my point , and this is a NOT Recommended procedure , till your having a smoke & and transferring .

Remember LPG / Propane is heaver than air & sinks into hols like muster gas did. To flush your lungs of it , invert on stairs face down & downhill & breath .

4. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

Yes that true but it was crazy during the time the gas was at 5 dollars a gallon out here .people where. Crazy as heck when it came to making sure the car gas not stolen from the vehicle

5. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Then I'm guessing you know where Madera is [OT]

hank2222 likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

10 Bucks a gallon?
    Man, My royalty checks would be outstanding!!!

hank2222 likes this.
  7. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

My shopping bike:
    (I normally mount a couple of milk crates on the deck and put the front panniers on when shopping for groceries)

[​IMG]

On a related note...when I lived in rural New Mexico it was customary for all the grocery stores to offer dry ice, since so many folks lived an hour or more away from the stores. You ask for dry ice back here in Ohio and they look at you like you are nuts.

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@chimo I remember those days in NM!

hank2222 likes this.
  9. weaselhawk

weaselhawk Guest

At the time i had no car. Was few days after my birthday got 30$ in the mail in a birthday card. I get this great idea ill ride my bicycle 25 miles from me to this 10 person town a guy there has a store if you can call it that its in a old shed if you knock on his door and he is home he will open it up and sell you food i was thinking ok ill ride there and get food and a six pack. only a 25 mile ride on gravel in hill country i was 44 and not rode a bike since i was 14. i made it about 1 mile and i got off the bike and tossed it down the hill its still there and walked home. numb no 44 year old man that has not been on a bike in 30 years has any bussines on one i was numb two days bikes are no longer in my survial plan

Ganado, AxesAreBetter and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have around 10 of those 1 pound 4 packs of propane, 8 20 pound grill tanks and 4 100 pound cylinders to go with my 500 gallon sub tank. What I need is another sub tank like a 300 gallon with a wet leg to fill the jeeps fork lift tank.

Ganado likes this.
  11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Everyone I have ever met that talked about how awesome bikes were was not riding a "normal" bike. Reminds me of an old school 10mm guy talking about how pistols have stopping power. Haha.

hank2222 and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7