1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Lightbox Setup

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I saw where a couple of you asked for pics of my lightbox and I didn't see that until today - doh! :lol:

This is very simple to make - get a few full sheets of posterboard at Walmart or Target, then go to Home Depot and get a stick of 1 1/4" PVC pipe, 3 clamp-on lights and 3 daylight 75 watt flourescent bulbs. Oh yea you need one (1) white garbage bag. :) You should also get a plug strip to plug the lights into.

Make the box as big as you'd like - I made mine about 20" across and about the same depth. I cut the posterboard out and just used masking tape to put it together. That way I can take i down in no time, or re-do it to a different size. I cut the garbage bag to the right size and taped it in place as a diffuser - easy stuff! Then build a rack for the lights using the PVC pipe, and just push the pipe into the fittings - no need for glue. Clamp the lights on with the bulbs in them, put a tripod in front and you're ready. At Walmart I even found decorative paper in the crafts section and use that as a background.

All of this came from a thread here http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328550&page=1&pp=20
    lightbox_front_454. lightbox1_417.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

nice setup V!
  3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Moderator Moderator Founding Member

Nice setup, I might have to "borrow" the idea for use in taking pictures of my woodturnings. Right now for my pens/pencils/letter openers/key chains I just scan them in.
    But scanning is hard to do for a bowl :)

4. Valkman

This light box works better than I thought it would, and I just found a few more good backgrounds at Michael's. Not that I shop there, uh, just went with the wife! :oops:

You could make it much smaller is all your items are smaller.
  5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

What he said! great idea.
  6. Valkman

There's a real good photog guy who goes by "Sharp By Coop" on some forums, and this is all his idea. As usual, I just steal 'em and use 'em. :D
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary