Lightbox Setup

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I saw where a couple of you asked for pics of my lightbox and I didn't see that until today - doh! :lol:

This is very simple to make - get a few full sheets of posterboard at Walmart or Target, then go to Home Depot and get a stick of 1 1/4" PVC pipe, 3 clamp-on lights and 3 daylight 75 watt flourescent bulbs. Oh yea you need one (1) white garbage bag. :) You should also get a plug strip to plug the lights into.

Make the box as big as you'd like - I made mine about 20" across and about the same depth. I cut the posterboard out and just used masking tape to put it together. That way I can take i down in no time, or re-do it to a different size. I cut the garbage bag to the right size and taped it in place as a diffuser - easy stuff! Then build a rack for the lights using the PVC pipe, and just push the pipe into the fittings - no need for glue. Clamp the lights on with the bulbs in them, put a tripod in front and you're ready. At Walmart I even found decorative paper in the crafts section and use that as a background.

All of this came from a thread here http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328550&page=1&pp=20
    lightbox_front_454. lightbox1_417.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

nice setup V!

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nice setup, I might have to "borrow" the idea for use in taking pictures of my woodturnings. Right now for my pens/pencils/letter openers/key chains I just scan them in.
    But scanning is hard to do for a bowl :)

Ryan

4. Valkman

This light box works better than I thought it would, and I just found a few more good backgrounds at Michael's. Not that I shop there, uh, just went with the wife! :oops:

You could make it much smaller is all your items are smaller.

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

What he said! great idea.

6. Valkman

There's a real good photog guy who goes by "Sharp By Coop" on some forums, and this is all his idea. As usual, I just steal 'em and use 'em. :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7