LIGHTS FOR CCW AND LAW ENFORCEMENT

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by watchmaker, Nov 5, 2007.

1. watchmaker

watchmaker Monkey+++

SUREFIRE WEAPON LIGHT<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
    RECHARGEABLE CONVERSION
    345 LUMENS
    Hi guys,
    A member of another forum has this idea of boring the inside diameter of a Surefire 6P to accept a laptop computer Li Ion battery.
    I did my own version and discover that I can get a 345 lumens lamp (LED new R-5) at close to two hours run time.

You can mount this baby in a 5.56 mm a 50 caliber or a shotgun, it will shrug recoil no matter what caliber you shoot.
    How come?

The heavy spring on the lamp act as a shock absorber and prevent lamp battering by the battery. And been an LED is not filament to break down.
    [​IMG]

The special machined Surefire body is a part of the equation.
    The Lamp is a new one by Thru Nite, it is the new Cree R-5 and output and incredible 345 lumens (well more than any Surefire weapon light)

http://www.surefire.com/M961XM07-with-Dual-Thumbscrew-Mount

This lamp is a flood/throw and is ideal to clear rooms with the AR.
    For night hunting I am changing to a 300 lumens lamp that have a better throw (different reflector treatment) so those coyotes have to watch out.

The tail cap has a remote cable switch with pressure pad, so I can place it on the stock of my rifle or shotgun, under my thumb. Yes thumb pressure will activate the light.

Usually this type of light uses 123’s batteries, they go fast under the power of 345 lumens, so I opted for a long run time computer battery, rechargeable, that will last you close to 2 hours of run time.

Moreover, when I am unsure of how much battery juice is in the battery, I just pop it into the charger and you get a full charged battery, ideal if I practice much night shooting with my AR.
    You cannot do that with 123’s primary batteries unless you are willing to dump expensive half used batteries.

Li Ion technology will provide extend use if I don’t use the light, an occasional full top charge every 5 months will keep the battery at full capacity.

I have used a crenellated bezel up front, but I am thinking to put a flat bezel as I think the crenellated is able to catch on brush,
    I provided the light with a Weaver ring, but I am thinking to change it to some Quick detach lever mount like the Leupold style Weaver style for the AR, as I don’t want it on the rifle when hunting Whitetails during the day in the laurel tickets ( I hunt with a mini 30).
    Yes the Weaver detaches quick but I will need a coin from my pocket.
    BEAMSHOT AT 30 YARDS AT MY USUAL LOCATION
    So you can compare with any of my other beam shots from the past, I use the same camera setting for all beam shots.

[​IMG]

This is the Quick Detach ring that I will use in my AR; it will fit the Picatinny or the Weaver bases.

[​IMG]

I mounted a magazine picatinny mount in my home defense shotgun, so I will make another light for the Mossberg and I will have this one with a pressure tape curly cord switch, the curly cord have more reach than the straight 9” cable for mounting way out there under the barrel of the shotgun.

Cheers
    Watchmaker

2. Galactus

Galactus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Glowing eyes and the Power Cosmic are brighter than any Terran device.

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

What did I tell you before about smoking that Saturn Moon dust O Wacky one? Report to the intergalictic infirmary immediately for a urine test! Your surfing license is in serious jeopardy![loco]

4. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Well I hate to be rude and all but the fact of the matter is watchmaker
    is doing a piss poor demonstration of the "Harries" technique in his post on 11-05-2007 .

For those interested in this subject to do that correctly the upper portion of his left arm is suppose to be in a totally vertical position so the shooter can apply maximum "Isometric tension" on the back of your two hands pressing against each other to aid in recoil control of a powerful weapon .

His demonstration picture looks like some clown on any episode of CSI and such cop shows .

For those that may doubt me my source of information is Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn via a shooting training video called "Night Master Low light Shooting and Flashlight Techniques" .

The cheapest place to get it would be www.gunvideo.com as if you were to buy 5 videos at once it would be about $20 , but you can also get it singly off of Wilson Combat.com if you wish for $30 .

While many may or may not scoff at Wilson as a tactical trainer Hackathorn has credentials as a Military , Law enforcement and special Forces trainer etc. etc.

Hackathorn don't seem to think much of the "Harries" because IF you do it correctly it is very fatiguing and to be done correctly demands that you must use the weaver stance .

With todays lights that can be very small indeed yet rated to 200+ lumen's or close to it and run off of simple AA or AAA batteries I think practicing the Chapman is the best idea as you can almost establish a normal two handed hold with it and a light that you didn't pay a fortune for .

Break into my house and if the Dogs don't eat ya you'll get 160 Lumen's in your eyes from a $30 Dorcy followed by several 45 caliber bullets .

Considering that light will light up a cars tail light reflectors like someone tailgating out to over 300 feet , I see no reason to spend tons of money on Surefire lights with fragile and expense lamps that need replacing if it gets dropped .

Would have told you folks this sooner had I seen this thread prior to now .
    <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_115136", true); </SCRIPT>

5. watchmaker

watchmaker Monkey+++

To Update the post above on the Surefire conversion

BEAMSHOTS FROM THE NEW LAMPS
    350 LUMENS STRAIGHT
    AND 350 LUMENS
    5 FUNCTION LAMP
    Due to a new reflector shape, the new lamps have a gain in range of over 20 yards.
    The flood seems to be the same, so people clearing rooms will be well serve.
    Hunters will love the new lamps due to the increased range
    75 yards
    [​IMG]
    52 yards (beam shot goes under trees where more moisture is accumulated and reflects on the beam)
    [​IMG]
    60 yards
    [​IMG]

If you are interested in my conversions, e-mail me at
    jcharles11784(at)yahoo(dot)com

for more information, pictures and options

Watchmaker

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Wow. You're lights just keep getting brighter!

7. watchmaker

watchmaker Monkey+++

THE TACTICAL LIGHT, THE DRIVEWAY PATROL AND THE BEARS

Hi guys,
    Been working like a madman for a couple of years, little time to visit or do reviews, besides I am making my own tactical light now, rechargeable and with 350 lumens. I have two lamps for the light, a 1 level 350 lumens to use as a weapon light (I supply the pressure pad switch and the mount) and another lamp with five levels.

In a recent revision of the circuit of the 5 level lamp, the lower setting of 50 lumens was increased in run time to 24 hours!
    So the lamp runs 350 lumens for 2 hours 20 minutes, 175 lumens for 4 hours 20 minutes and 50 lumens for 24 hours!
    It also has a 350 lumens strobe and a 350 lumens SOS. And all this running on a rechargeable battery.

I have a private, secluded place in the Adirondacks where I fly fish for trout, it is a camping proposition, and in an area noted by a great amount of Bear traffic. It must be the berry patches or another feature of the terrain, but the place seems to be a preferred haunt by black bears. And I camp by myself for two or three days or until my fishing arm falls off.

Over the years I have had to chase several bears out of the campsite in the dark hours of the night. For years I have been using the Driveway Patrol as an alarm system, the PIR infrared of the sensor will detect body heat/movement up to 20/30 feet away, and the alarm chime inside the tent will wake me up.

I usually get up and opening the tent door I shine a powerful light (a Borealis 1,150 lumens) and in a gruff voice I tell the intruder to get out.
    It works until now, but I am well aware that one day a cross bear or a mother with cubs can give me trouble or try to make a meal out of me.

So the new addition of the tactical light in the 50 lumens mode, permits me to flood the campsite area with light all night long, and still have battery juice for three more nights.
    So when the alarm awakes me, just a look out of the screen door, will let me know beforehand what I am dealing with.

I put the alarm sensor on a ¼ “ pole and on top a piece of wood with a hole for the pole and the light secured on top. Actually I have two sets like that, so I also can see what is going on when I look out the side window.
    Here is a picture of the set up.

[​IMG]

Of course I have Bear protection with me and I also take all the necessary precautions to keep an odor free camp, to the extend of cooking my meals and storing my food and clothing with scents, 200 yards away from my sleeping quarters.

If somebody is interested in the tactical, rechargeable light or in the weapon light, just send me an e-mail to
    jcharles11784(at)yahoo(dot)com

The Driveway Patrol is available all over the net, the last time I bought it was $19.99 from same place in the net.
    If you camp where Bears could be an issue, think about my set up, it could save you some aggravation or worst.
    Cheers
    Watchmaker

hank2222 likes this.
  8. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

i have allways been a surefire light person ever since they came out back in the 80s with there first weapon light set up for the 1911 pistol

i allways felt that i have gotten my money worth from them and the abuse i put them through and they came out on the other side working in my mind it my go to product for lights and weapon light set up for my personal use and weapon set up ..

i do have maglight the 6 cell model in the house and it stand as back up to the personal light and as a self defense weapon also ..

thanks for the input on the diff lights that you have and keep up the good work there sir..

9. watchmaker

watchmaker Monkey+++

PRESENTING THE NEW
    LION BOREALIS 1,150-LUMEN FLASHLIGHT

After 6 years of handcrafting the Borealis Rolls Royce, I have stopped making them in favor of the new LION BOREALIS.

2004_03280018.

The new light uses a different and new power source: three newly developed Lithium Ion, fully protected batteries.
    The new batteries power the 3 ½ amps of the powerful Borealis bulb, and will produce 47 minutes of runtime.

Since it is made with the “host” of the 4C format, it is much lighter than the Borealis Rolls Royce, at 12 ¾” long and 19 oz heavy.

It uses the same bulb and reflector of the famous Borealis Rolls Royce, so beam quality, throw distance and flood spread remain the same.
    Extensive tests were done in hot, cold, underwater, and muddy environments, and the new LION (short for Li Ion batteries) is as sturdy and dependable as the old Rolls Royce.

Please e-mail me at jcharles11784(at)yahoo(dot)com for more information.

Watchmaker

Black Bear Flashlights is not affiliated with Mag Instrument, Inc., which owns the famous MAG family of trademarks, including MAG-LITE®, and MINI-MAGLITE®,
    trademarks in the distinctive shape, style and overall appearance of its flashlights, and in the circumferential inscriptions around the face caps of all of Mag
    Instruments Inc.'s flashlights. Mag Instruments, Inc's trademarks are shown on this website for illustration only. Black Bear Flashlights are not made, licensed,
    endorsed, approved or recommended by Mag Instrument, Inc.

Bison_Forge likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7