Lightweight Sillcock Key?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Fatum1965, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Fatum1965

Fatum1965 DDD

Looking for some support in finding a lightweight sillcock key. I received one through a battle box a few years back and it’s far too heavy for my edc bob. I’m working on building a top of the line urban edc/bob with very specific roles and to be packed as light as possible. I know a lot of machinist and am considering asking them to custom make one because all I can find is heavy steel. Has anyone found something on the lighter side. Any support in the subject will be greatly appreciated. Sincerely,

Sapper John and UncleMorgan like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Check out Amazon, they got a bunch of them, from MANY OEMs....

Sapper John and UncleMorgan like this.
  3. Fatum1965

Fatum1965 DDD

I gave it a glance but will take another look.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yup,we had problems with Bums using them and taking baths on the street.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  5. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

GOG likes this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

You can pick up one of the 4 way keys at Lowes or Home Depot .

7. Fatum1965

Fatum1965 DDD

the 4 way in aluminum would be ideal but I have never seen one.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Methinks aluminum is not the best choice. Probably not strong enough to resist breaking if you really pressure it.

9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

A better set is a group of four in a flat pack that are a quality aluminum and used by electronic cabinet makers in the usual (for the time) shapes. Used to stop pilfering in controls cabinets.

Fatum1965 likes this.
  10. SurvivorLite

SurvivorLite Neophyte Monkey

Hey Guys, I see this thread has been silent for a while now but I wanted to chime in to see if anybody here be interested in an Aluminum Version of a Sillcock Key? I've noticed that all other keys are made from steel and way about 5-6 ounces which is way too heavy in my opinion. This version would be roughly 1.5 ounces and much more convenient to store in a bugout bag or EDC. I'm trying to see how much interest there is in this idea before I go ahead and have this made, so if you or somebody you might know wants one drop your email in to survivorlite.com or message me. Thanks!

11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I have one made from either aluminum or pot metal running around here somewhere. I think I got it at a irrigation place 10-12 years ago.

12. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

I break one of these every once in a while the the piece going through the other is splined and I twist the splines off they are made of steel for a reason.

SB21 and Ganado like this.
  13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I wonder if the guy found what he needed,, he hasn't been back since about 3 weeks or so after he posted this. I wish'em well.

14. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

The weight difference between the 2 is nothing, just buy a good one and be done.

1. Hanzo
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. DKR
  7. deMolay
  8. Motomom34
  9. Grandpa Patch
  10. DKR
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid