Recipe Like Grandma's Chicken 'n Dumplings ..... modified

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tacmotusn, Jan 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

This is a modification of a Rival Stoneware Crockpot Recipe attributed to Karen Coughlin of Jax, Fl.
    I added items and additional herbs and veggies so I guess I can honestly say this IS MY RECIPE.
    As I said this is a no fuss throw together easy recipe. So easy I will give you the Directions 1st.
    DIRECTIONS; Turn crockpot on high, Combine all ingredients in crockpot, Cover and cook for 4 hours.
    INGREDIENTS; 1 Rotisserie Chicken, boned and cut up into bite sized pieces. (1 can 10.5 oz condensed Cream of Chicken soup, 2 soup cans of water, 3 Tablespoons Flour, 3 knoor chicken bouillon cubes -- assemble these items in a microwave safe 8 cup measuring cup and nuke on high for 3 minutes -- whisk briskly to blend all -- dump this in crockpot) (not the measuring cup [nono], just the stuff in the cup). another can of Cream of Chicken soup, and a can of Cream of Mushroom soup. 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning. 1 can 14-16 oz sliced carrots. 1 can 14-16 oz peas. 1 can 14-16 oz Margret Holmes Tri-Succotash ( tomatoes, corn, limas ). 1 tube Grand's original flaky big biscuits, (8 biscuits, cut into 1/4s or 1/6ths).
    That's it. Oh, moisten the biscuit pieces as you put them in by gently stiring or pushing them under the surface of the liquid, until you get them all in. Throw the lid on. Go do something else. Come back in 4 hours and feast. It really is easy and tasty. It is not like my grandma's

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Do you drain the canned vegies? Whole can in or drain the carrots?

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Do not drain any of the veggies. There is a lot of flavor and some of their vitamins and such in that juice. Notice there was no salt added to recipe. It is in the other ingredients. No more is necessary.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just printed your recipe and will let you know how dinner turned out tonight.

kellory likes this.
  5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

My granny killed 2 to 4 chickens and cleaned them for weekend dinners for family each and every weekend. As a young child I have assisted her sort of so, in her words to know where our food comes from, ditto working in her garden and or picking fruit or veggies for the table. She kept aprox 200 chickens at any one time. Grandpa picked up feed for her, but she paid for it herself. Her chicken and egg business was hers alone. Her fenced chicken yards were always, one in use by chickens and one was her personal (household food) garden. She had two broody house sections that were constantly in use increasing the flock. There was also a separate enclosure (small chicken house and pen) where most of our table eating came from. These were immature roosters that would be on the plate at about 5 months. Mature roosters will fight. Young ones are just as tender as a pullet (egg layer - female - hen) of the same age. She banded every new pullet once she was sure they were laying eggs. She started replacing egg laying hens at 3 to 4 years of age. 4 years and over would be stewed. She would sell Chickens to people for having their own flock or for eating. She was very patient with these people if they were starting their own flock, and she would often sell them a 3 year old large, but tender hen or a couple of 5 month old roosters and clean them for them in their presence. She was not selling chickens for pets to cuddle until they died. It all had a purpose to her. She would teach if you would listen, but didn't tolerate fools for very long if at all. Old 4 years plus hens were big and tough, and she would stew those for chicken and noodles or dumplings. Her egg noodles were awesome delicious. Those old birds started the journey to the table in a huge pressure cooker that also tenderized game and cheap cuts of beef or pork. Her cooking skills were legend. I only learned a wee bit from her and my other grandma. I look forward to sitting at her table again some time in this century. We all should be as lucky.

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have to applaud @tacmotusn on sharing this recipe. I am not a cook, I am a disaster in the kitchen but I am proud to say this dinner was amazing. My child had never had a dumpling (just like Mom makes) and loved them. Finally I have an easy hearty dish that we all enjoyed and that filled the kid up.

1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi
  8. Bishop