Lil upset: a watch thread

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by timberwolf50, Mar 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Chel hit on the watch as a necessity for coordinating military movements. I had a few other moments of terror in the military where a watch was comforting. I often slept in places where there was no light, and no night sounds to tip me off as to the time of night.
    Waking to a loud noise without a watch and then sitting there wide awake, not knowing if it was a few minutes or a few hours until sunrise will make you miserable quick. In garrison, getting up and going to work at 1900 while your fuzzy brain has you convinced it is 0700 will make you a believer in quality day/date watches too. Comfort at a glance. That's why my Seiko 5 is always on my wrist, or nearby.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

When I wake up for my 2am nature call, I want to know how much time I have before it gets daylight.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Had one on from the time I was in the second grade as you can see by the pictures I don't take it off much.

KIMG0324.

KIMG0325.

chelloveck likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I found some sundial/compasses that I have been thinking about picking up for our shop. Any thoughts? I can;t make up my mind if it would be super cool, or just weird.

GOG likes this.
  7. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Can you actually use them in/for the shop?
    OR:
    Are they too cool to pass up?

Either reason is eminently is acceptable.

And weird is in the eye of the beholder.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Heard that. Haha.

GOG likes this.
  9. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Adhan is called out by a muezzin from the mosque five times a day, traditionally from the minaret, summoning Muslims for mandatory (fard) worship (salat). A second call, known as iqama, (set up) then summons Muslims to line up for the beginning of the prayers.
    So there ya go ill know the time at least 5 times a day......lol like an alarm clock .

Brokor, chelloveck and RightHand like this.
  10. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

After Thanksgiving, we bought a no antibiotic. no steroid, free range turkey. This weekend. we had my daughter and s/o over. Then we made soup. Tomorrow we'll have turkey soup and cast iron cornbread. :)

Motomom34, chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Some people will throw out the baby with the bath water.
    the minimalist .
    The problem with going minimal Is, once it is used up what you have, there is nothing left to support your self.
    Every single means to survive are going to be used until they are all consumed, the best first.
    The guy with the high powered rifle only is going to us it to keep the threat at furthest distances hoping to protect His family the best he can. but if that's his only prep armor wise spending a round to shoot a squirrel is a serious sacrifice. Where as the man that has prepared with many different weapons need not waste his high powered ammo on a small but valuable target.
    Caned foods will disappear before dry goods as being consumed people either fearful of exposure or too afraid of leaving their post to cook, or too little water to cook with. but the guy that is prepared with gardening and canning and his canned food and dry goods stores will thrive during the event.
    Time keeping has been an important factor in man's survival for thousands of years keeping track of the seasons and when to plant and when to expect the change in temperatures
    Beyond that coordinating events that are life threatening, and or life saving like counting one's pulse become especially critical.
    Performing an investigation with in a group to know if some one is lying about their performance, and other issues that will continue to exist regardless of the presence of public law.
    Then there is the job of the historian in the group, maintaining records of events especially when a confrontation occurs between groups . Maintaining records and time keeping will be an issue. like it or not.

13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That is a very well thought out post.

14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

An oldie but still working.
    Bought it with my STAR check.

[​IMG]

GOG and chelloveck like this.
  15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Been looking into getting me a wind up pocket watch.

chelloveck and RightHand like this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

17. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

When you can sense the movement outside the wire; we'd say "Charley is hungry tonight." Set charges on HE and illumination for the mortar and cuddle up close to one's weapon.

chelloveck likes this.
  18. weaselhawk

weaselhawk Guest

in a radiation enviroment time your exposure time make fire with the lens off the watch. in land navigation subsitute distance for time and you can get back to where you started that guy wrote a book on it in the 80's called the green beret's compass course don paul you might know his book great living in grubby times at sea use it with a rope to find out your knots and speed if you have friends you need a watch to meet at a certain time or even day. is some one pregnat how are you goint to time the contractons how no watch how to you know how long to to keep that turicut on. stuck in a city with little money need cash any pawn shop you will find them next to the bus stop and you can get a ride or you can trade or barter it better that silver or gold it has value with those metals inside the watch plus you can use it to live lost at dawn noon and sunset place a stick in the ground and it points north how long have you been in that cold water in about 3 months if you dont know the day time or month you lose more than you think how long do you have to get ready for winter is your mind playing tricks on you. your thinking you have 2 months left before winter you only have 2 weeks. i could go on who said a watch has no survival use well my cell phone has it you say ok down load a android shell and type androiddump read the 8,000 line file it gives you about your infromation no watch and you can tell time without every one in the world know why your lookin at the time. i could go on about watch survial use

chelloveck, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@weaselhawk best explanation of why you need a time piece!

I have an addition to good solid info and good solid reasoning ... you win!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7