line throwing guns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by sec_monkey, Jan 18, 2017.

1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

inspired by @Seacowboys post

The [usn] uses the M14 quite a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like the Canadian Navy uses an AR

[​IMG]

:)

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

it seems to be the MK 87 Mod 0/1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when used with the M16 [m16] the flash suppressor must be removed

Aeason likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have only wanted one since I was a kid.

Aeason and sec_monkey like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That's nuthen ,
    I can do that with a bow an arrow,
    even a sling shot.
    LOL

Aeason, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

The electrical department at the mine where I used to work had a line gun. It was a single shot that used .45-70 blanks loaded with black powder.

sec_monkey and Sgt Nambu like this.
  7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Well, what started me on the line launcher was one leg of my SSB antennae had came down from the tree top and I needed to get it back up into the fork where it secures. I started with a weighted line but decided there were just too many windows within the rebound area so I tried a wrist rocket but the line and weight just reached the apex of their arch a few feet below the fork. I next tried a bow and wooden arrows with a messenger line, hit the fork every time but the arrow just didn't weigh enough to get the messenger line back to the ground. That is when I remembered this old line launcher I had under my desk at work, retrieved it, loaded it, and ...click...damned firing pin was just missing. I ended up using my fishing bow with a fiberglass fishing arrow to get the antennae back up. There is another 12 guage launcher on the market too but I haven't seen one in a few years, made by Mossberg on one of their 500 series pump guns.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    sec_monkey, Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. I think that one may have been a modified Martini-Henry(Pearbody) I have only seen them in photos.

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. duane

duane Monkey+++

About 70 years ago I saw the Guard put a field phone line across a swamp with a bazooka. Being a young kid, I wasn't allowed any where near the operation, but it impressed me to the point I still remember it. They were just back from WWII and it was before Korea, so there were a lot of crazy guys there with all kinds of weird stories and games. They also had jeeps with 50's and 106 or so recoil less rifles that were impressive.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. WastedDaze

WastedDaze Monkey+

The black powder 45-70 blanks for line throwing guns were made by Western Cartridge Company (Winchester) during WWII. They used 45 grains of black powder and were designated 45-70 MK I.
    I have some of these blanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the 1950's they made the M32 that used smokeless powder with three wads. Here's a comparison of the MK I and the M32.
    [​IMG]

45-70 line throwing guns are still being made and sold. H&R makes one that Bridger sells in a case with all accessories.
    [​IMG]
    Here's an older Remington 45-70 line thrower.
    [​IMG]

VisuTrac, Sapper John and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7