Linux file cataloger-disk cataloger

Discussion in 'Technical' started by aardbewoner, Jul 10, 2021.

1. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

linux off line file/data finder.
    To make a kind of disk cataloger to find where its stored.
    Still surprised there are no good catalogers for linux :(
    So i made something usable for the command line.
    the first step is to collect the data from hard disk usb or anything readable and store it. one time type mkdir A-diskdrive-map in your home dir. change nameuser with your username and for every data source the dataname.

the code is " ls -R1 /home/name user |sed -e 's/^.*nameuser nameuser //' > //home/nameuser/A-diskdrive-map/name dataname.txt " and for usb or external is mostly
    "ls -R1 /media/jan/namedevice/ | sed -e 's/^.*nameuser nameuser //' > //home/nameuser/A-diskdrive-map/namedata.txt like usb1.txt"
    This write the data in the A-diskdrive-map where you can load it in any editor long as that have a search.

The to make it easy to find the directory the showed data is in we do the next step that add # after the directory name in the dataname.txt file.
    that code " sed -i 's/A-HOME/A-HOME###### ##### ####### *****************/g' /home/nameuser/A-diskdrive-map/namedata.txt "

Hope this help to find things :)

Tempstar and Dont like this.
  2. percival

percival Monkey

Just use fsearch. has it's own repo and should be on every OS and every pc.

3. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

It could be useful,do it looks like its only for attached drives and not to catalog all your drives and usb sticks.

4. percival

percival Monkey

Basically that's exactly what it does do. You add the mount points, or folders you want to be able to instantly search, and within a few seconds it creates an fsearch.db file. My laptop db file is ~23mb and comprises ~420gigs of data across 2 drives. As a search tool there is none better.
    For pie chart type stuff my system has Gnome's Disk Usage Analyzer built-in which does well for visual representations. Baobab is the name. Windows has tons of software for creating actual catalogs. Just depends on your desires.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7