Linux Mint website hacked, malware embedded into release.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by kckndrgn, Feb 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Linux Mint hit by malware infection on its website, forum after hack attack

While I have not downloaded a new ISO in a while, anyone who did over the weekend needs to take steps to get rid of the backdoor.

I also read somewhere else that this effected the mirror sites, so it may take a while to get all the bad ISO's off the net. Double check the MD5 signatures when downloading. I used to think that it was a waste of time to check it, but not anymore.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Just when I am thinking about starting to look into Linux --

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

It's not really a linux security breech but sloppy website and package management security from the Mint team.

Brokor and Wild Trapper like this.
  4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yup, from what I read, somewhere, don't recall at the moment, it was a hack in the wordpress software that allowed the hackers to point the download link to their server, where they had a customized ISO file that had the backdoor built in

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Want me to send you a USB stick with Fedora installed? Boot from USB and try it in a live environment without touching your HDD. Download Fedora Workstation

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thanx, but not yet. I've a couple bottlenecks to open first. The new laptop will have W10 on it, and I have to find a way to upgrade it to Pro. I think I have it sourced, but need to confirm. And, of course, the machine has to get here and customized. After all that, the old laptop gets the Linux treatment. If I can figure it out, will set it up as a dual boot if the HDD will let me. All that will just clutter my belfry at this point. (Talk about single bell belfries ---)

kellory and HK_User like this.
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Downloaded Mint 17.3 KDE the weekend before on one of my machines. Whew!

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Still using Mint 17 Mate, no plan to upgrade any time soon.

Brokor likes this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If the job actually paid well, I would love to be the guy who travels around to pay these scumbag hackers a visit.
    Seriously --hack Microsatan or GE corporation for Pete's sake, even Apple-Tosh.
    Another brick in the wall, I guess. Linux is still the most secure OS on the planet.

melbo and Wild Trapper like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. aardbewoner
  3. aardbewoner
  4. Brokor
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Brokor
  7. DarkLight
  8. Brokor
  9. kckndrgn
  10. melbo
  11. Brokor