Liquid metal batteries - the new storage media...

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by DKR, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Im trying to get my head around above post !!
    How many transfers are you asking ac/dc/ac/dc at a loss of 15-20% best..

Im still not there .

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

As noted in the first video - only 75% efficient is as good as pumped hydro. Good enough is good enough.

Brokor likes this.
  3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@DKR ,, YOUR NOT getting it !

@ Alaska bk is a smart dude , transfets cost,, HEAT !!
    Im way up there , Ill post what were up to..

IM having the boys meet and chat ,, JUST help brains , better than mine , aged out

Zimmy likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I believe sloth is saying the battery may be 75% efficient but that's not counting the transition from alternating current to direct current and then back to AC.
    My Nissan leafs plug to wheel efficiency is only around 85%.
    But the DC to DC electronics are just not that efficient. They put cheap over efficient.

5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

All I can go on is the claim the 'system' is 75% eff. As good or better than pumped hydro.

If TOTAL is putting $$$$$$$ into the tech, they see something worthwhile.

I got no dog in this fight - if they get built, good for MIT....

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If it performs better than lead-acid I'm in.
    One does not need AC to run everything as a matter of fact as the demand grows for DC powered equipment the AC will be set aside for heavy commercial only I'd bet.
    Personally, I'd rather have some things run on gas instead of electricity like refrigerators. The RV industry already has for decades had refrigerators that will run on AC/DC and gas.
    As matter of fact, I use an inverter to move DC power from the shop trailer where the battery bank is, to the house to a battery charger there, to the house battery, and it runs the house appliances. I know it sounds like a lot of losses but I have more solar than I need so I don't care, I have plenty of DC power.
    Solar panels are too cheap to nitpick over their significance.
    I have 3 panels I have not yet employed, what I want is more better batteries.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7