Little article on John and Geri Mcphearson

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by monkeyman, Oct 16, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

...And the authors had a typo in the picture caption, that ie Geri not Mary. These are the folks I worked with on the Fort Clatsop build and also the authors of the books Im doing the group buy for.
    http://voanews.com/english/2005-10-03-voa41.cfm

John McPherson
    Modern living means depending on electricity, gasoline, and well-stocked stores. But we are finding out that these things are not always available. This man has always known not to count on modern conveniences. He’s a survivalist living in Randolph, Kansas.

"Everything on this property was built by my wife and I."

This is John McPherson. He calls himself a woodsman and survivalist. He knows how to live in the woods with only his hands and what nature supplies for materials.

Starting a fire using only sticks
    “I've spent my whole life with this. I've spent 20-30 years just working primitive skills. And I have eight years working in a special operations unit in the military."

John McPherson lives in a remote part of Central Kansas. From his books on primitive wilderness skills, John and his wife Geri have made a reputation as leading teachers of wilderness survival for extreme outdoor enthusiasts and the U.S. Army. For John, it goes back 40 years to Vietnam.

"In my experience in Vietnam, if I had been captured and escaped, what would you need because you have absolutely nothing?"

Even with all its dependence on technology, the U.S. Army has hired Mr. McPherson to teach its Special Forces the basics of survival.

Using Nature's string
    "We got to be pretty well known in the special ops community because we taught the basics, what they really needed to know. ‘What do I need now? I need shelter. I need fire, that's part of shelter. I need food, that's traps. String ties it all together. Containers to carry stuff around, to move from point A to Point B’."

Using nature's elements to make a fire for warmth, cooking and signaling comes first.

"What keeps you alive is knowing how to rub two sticks to make fire."

Also basic to survival is a sharp edge from a rock to make a cutting tool.

John's wife Mary helped build their home and furnishings
    Making string or cord from natural plant fibers allows one to make traps for animals and tie together branches to make shelter. The ability to transport and retain water is essential, such as this water vessel made from a deer bladder.

"The bladder is a canteen. You can carry water in the stomach."

John uses stripped bark to make an ax handle. Natural cord, string, can spring a trap to catch a small animal for food.

To be able to survive with little or nothing may be the ultimate edge, a source of self-confidence; the ultimate freedom.

"That's what drew me out here and what really keeps me here. I'm free. I don't need anyone for anything," John says.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

cool, thanks mm

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bump. If you assume that after SHTF, all things modern will cease to exist and you plan to go without, John and Geri McPherson tell you how to do it. Get a hard copy of "Naked into the Wilderness" (Primitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills) and put it with your last ditch cache, it will come in handy.

tulianr and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7