Live Trap > Misnomer

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by HK_User, Dec 19, 2012.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I guess my question would be, How ya gonna know if you ain't tried it.
    Over the years, and during my world travels via Uncle Sam I have wandered the fish markets and noticed species being utilized as food that were shunned or ignored in the US. Armed with this info I have eaten or attempted to consume most any fish I have caught. I do draw the line at fugi or whatever the asians call it (puffer fish, smooth or spiny). 4 to 6 japanese eaters who roll the dice and eat this overpriced fish annually, drop over stone cold dead. Others smile with glee if they survive the meal and smack their lips and say, ah so, very delicious. lol
    On that note I have ate crow, pigeon, robins, starlings, doves, all the game birds, armadillo (although never again), all squirrels except flying, muskrats (as a guest, I know nothing of prep or cooking them), snakes, frogs, turtles, gator, horse, goat, camel, and much much more. I just want to know what is pallatible just in case.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have had lion, gator, bison, antelope, snails, bull balls, rattle snake, but you got me beat by a mile. I have a friend who wants every carp I catch. He eats them. venison, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, quail, turkey are standard fare, and i am getting a hunt together for next season for ducks and geese. I am boning-up on recipes now.:D

3. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i guess to me knowledge is like eating it aint worth a dam if u have ate it unless u know how to cook it so u can eat it !!!!
    comments please!!!! im ready and willing to listen .....

also im all for eating what everyone else turns there nose up to just cause they dont know anybetter

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I hunted, fished and trapped enough wild game that when to table fair that I can eat anything when the day comes.

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I've caught quite a few raccoon's in those traps using a big puffy marshmallow. Try it out.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I will add one more note for KAS and Kellory. Any fish that can be eaten and is eaten in other parts of the world can be canned with a pressure cooker/canner. Bony fish are no problem as the bones will dissolve. Midwest Amish are known to harvest 400lb or so of so called trash fish each spring and can them for use throughout the year. I remove the scales, heads, guts, and use shears to cut away the tail and most all fins. I have canned saltwater ladyfish, crappie, albacore tuna, sea trout, sand trout (silver), whiting, and croaker. All made excellent table fare and were satisfactory stand in substitutes for canned tuna or salmon in many many home recipes. I raw pack chunks or whatever is convienent to fill pint jars. I add no liquid whatsoever, only 1/2 teaspoon salt and process at 10 pounds for 110 minutes. No, they are not just mush after that cooking time. I know folks who can carp and suckers. Any edible fish, fowl, or meat can be canned. Yes I am a hard core canner. Who else would purchase 35 cases of canning jars at one shot, and 864 Tattler reuseable canning lids/seals at another purchase. I will not have a Mother Hubbard Cupboard. My pantry will be full of many treats.

KAS and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  7. kellory

I do not have any canning or vacuum packing gear yet.:( Money is too tight at present to do anything about it. i will have to work on that.

8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Run and ad in freecycle and craigs list asking for a canner or canning supplies cheap or free. I think you will be surprised at the responses.

9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Being a child of parents whom themselves were children of The Great Depression and WWII, I learned to eat 12 kinds of offal and will eat just about anything that's not poisonous. About the only two things that I can't get down my gullet are brussel sprouts and humble pie!

10. kellory

Um, er, well...I'm banned from Craig's list posting. I scared an asshat.

11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Have someone else in your local area post the ad for you. A close friend who won't mind. Also scan the ads anyway "free" "wanted" and "farm n garden"
    Hit the better thrift shops in your area as well, for Presto and Mirro canners of 15 to 22 qts. These will hold and can 7 qts at a time and parts are available. These can be found in great shape for 10 to 30 dollars.

12. kellory

will do.

13. kellory

Since you are good at this, can you tell me anything good or bad about this? I have no experiance at canning. WARD - PRESSURE COOKIE - SMALL ONE - WORKS FINE

14. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

too old to find parts if needed. too small for any serious canning. last but not least, let me do a simple search and I am reasonably sure I can find you a new one for $65 to $80

15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

kellory likes this.
  16. kellory

That would be why I asked the expert. Thanks.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7