Livestock and domestic dogs.

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by VisuTrac, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Speechless, just speechless...... haha

kellory and Brokor like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I forgot to mention the next step. Butcher a chicken, start up the barbecue...what's that smell? Oh, that's just chicken and charcoal. Cheers!

Motomom34, BTPost and Yard Dart like this.
  3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Throw it in a feedsack and toss it in the dumpster. By the time the bag falls apart, the dog is merrily rotting away at the city dump and likely unrecognizable anyway.

Sapper John likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Hmmmm I have occasionally bought a chicken with four drumsticks....I may have to change poultry providors.

oldawg likes this.
  5. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Poison meat and put it out for the dogs!Its not your fault if his dogs eat it, its also hard to prove why the dog died without spending a lot of money on testing!

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Throw the remains in the owners stock tank.

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My problem is not with dogs getting livestock, it's chasing wild game and moving aggressively towards me and my kids. Background, neighbor lady at our hunting property runs a "dog rescue", but doesn't believe in keeping said dogs under control (penned up/fenced in/chained up).

Most recent incident was one of her dogs, didn't like my son and I walking on our property and started it's barking and lunging toward us (but still a good 20 to 30' away). When we started walking back to the cabin we were side by side and I noticed the dog moving in closer. I moved my son to be in front of me and told him to walk back to the cabin. I stayed between him and the dog and walk sideways, weapon drawn. There was just something about this dog that had the hairs on the back of my head standing up. Fortunately, soon after moving from side by side to single file, the dog lost interest. Just felt to me that the dog was ready to go after my kid.

Talked to the neighbor lady, again, and warned her that aggressive dogs may be shot on site on my property.

If/When I do have to kill one of these dogs, nothing will be said to the dog lady nor will any collars be returned. I'll toss the carcass in the woods and feed the coyotes.

8. greenKY859

greenKY859 Monkey

If you're going to be caring for livestock you have to consider a lot of things; the space your livestock takes, their impact on their environment, their food conversion ratio, Diseases, etc. I've been researching this topic for a while with my friends who are into sustainable living and what we've come up with seems to be narrowed down to these 3. Chickens, Rabbits, and Fish.

Chickens are Great because they can help fertilize you crops, they don't eat much, and eggs (Need I say more?) Rabbits are great too even though they may eat a little more than chickens; they breed so rapidly you wonder if you will have to worry about getting protein. That is if you can stand to harm something so cute.

Fish on the other hand are a little more foreign to most people usually. I'm not sure why they are so often overlooked, especially since they are affected so little by diseases and even if they are, it is extremely rare they will have any effect on humans. If there is a local fish you like, it is already adapted to your climate and are a lot easier to farm than one would think. There is even a relatively new farming technique that integrates gardening and fish farming into a man made Eco-system. The food you feed your fish nourishes your plants and your plants care for your fish, you could even add plants that your fish enjoy eating effectively reducing your cost for food to nothing!.

I made a little of a system I got just for growing herbs in my kitchen. I didn't see anyone discussing Aquaponics and if you've never heard of it you might be able to save yourself a lot of money that you may have spent elsewhere. This changed my opinion on sustainable living completely and a lot more people are going to this method everyday so check it out.

chelloveck likes this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Welcome to SM. A good early post. Aquaponics is a good option, adaptable to many environments. You have demonstrated a simple set up which is good for people to start and learn by without to great a capital investment. Start simple and small...master the basics and build and expand as knowledge, skills and experience develop.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

"If/When I do have to kill one of these dogs, nothing will be said to the dog lady nor will any collars be returned. I'll toss the carcass in the woods and feed the coyotes."

EXACTLY.

SHOOT SHOVEL SHUT UP.

I have a similar problem coming up here. Neighbor has had an old lab around for years. Never been a problem, stays home with a shock collar, good dog. Recently they got 4 more adult dogs, one a pit bull and they don't stay home. Relations with this neighbor are not good AT ALL because of other problems. I have resisted shooting these dogs with anything other than a BB gun thus far because of said problems.
    However, OC, (Outside Cat) recently had a litter of kittens. Now that I've been home, I've had to keep the dogs at bay with the BB gun. The other day I was in the yard and the pitbull came charging down the drive into yard towards me. A shot from my pistol stopped the pit. Some plastic in the bed of the truck and a short drive to the nearby woods finished the afternoon. I was raised on a cattle ranch and learned early on that all predators get treated in the same way-the three S's. JMT's

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7