Living in the Stone Age - for Science!

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by DKR, Nov 3, 2019.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Living in the Stone Age for Science? Yes.

This is a very interesting look at so-called 'experimental archeology". We have pre-history tech dug up from known sites. These folks try a lot of different methods to recreate the object/technology used.

I guess the fun part was seeing the archeology students living in the past (in old reconstructed houses, etc) and taking measurement on the levels of indoor pollution, for example.

Worth bookmarking for a rainy day look if nothing else, the video is very well done and had several surprises for me.

I'm starting to think hard core preppers might want to look into seeing what archeology 'experiments' might be available in your local area and if they take weekend participants....

2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I love watching stuff like that.

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The moment one of several things that is being wildly juggled gets dropped we all get to participate whether we want to or not.

DuxDawg, oldawg, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I have always been amazed at some of the arrowheads , and hatchet heads and other stone made items our stone age ancestors were able to make . Then they figured out how to make cordage and cloth . The whole history , and the work and ideas they came up with from those days , in my opinion is very impressive to me . Very interesting ,, thanks for the post .

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The BBC had a series that spanned hundreds of years of human history and the supporting technologies...I wish that I could recall the name...I was thinking about it several days ago. I have always been interested in history, and re-enacted the War Between the States for about 15 years.

Gator 45/70, Alf60 and chelloveck like this.
  6. Waydah

Waydah Monkey

It pays to remember that advancements did not occur 'across the board'. Not every society learned how to weave cloth. While some societies were forging iron into weapons and agrigultruial implements, others were still stuck in the stone age. Cultural interaction with more advanced societies was the fuel for the advancement of less societies. The arrival of Europeans onto the North and South American continents are evidence of societal advancement regardless of the negativities voiced as a result of that interaction.

What I find both concerning and interesting is the throttle of historical information by the very people most trusted in informing the rest of us regarding our entire human history. For instance, the discovery of the "Kinnebec Man", remains dated to several thousand years in what is now Washington State whose features showed European features. Those remains were quickly politially turned over to local "native" tribes for re-burial to throttle the continued investigation that those "native" tribes may not have been the only first immigrants into N. America.

The Clovis points, found in Clovis, N.M. are a distinctive napping method only ever found in two other locations - the Chesapeake Bay shore and in France. So, what does that tell you?

DuxDawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Every so often I watch Naked and Afraid ?

SB21, chelloveck and oldawg like this.
  8. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Yeah me too. Makes me appreciate the inventions of soap and SHOES!

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Yeah, I remember the time that the big strong guy almost died from an infection after stepping on a thorn. The little lady stayed until the end. First thing you do is make shoes!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Do you watch for the naked or the 'afraid' elements of the show? ;)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well,Some are okay,Its just that all of them are blurry in certain places?
    Guessing the camera is out of focus?

12. Waydah

Waydah Monkey

I'm thinking of trying to market a new series - "I'm afraid I'm naked". Could be a head-turner!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

The sight of some of them neked peeps will fersur leave you afraid.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I've never heard of any of the contestants having sex, but then I don't follow it that much. Most of the people are unattractive (to me), tattooed freaks, with chips on their shoulders, and unable to work as a team. After a few days the smell and filth alone would turn-off even the horniest of people. No toilet paper (using leaves, grass, or your left-hand), soap, hand sanitizer, etc., it's a wonder that people haven't died from the filth and food poisoning.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7