Living Off the Grid

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Nadja, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bob0usa

bob0usa Monkey+

As I'm getting ready to put in a new system,, You've made me think about other areas ,, like insurance coverage on the system!!
    thanks again
    bob0usa

2. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

"As I'm getting ready to put in a new system,, You've made me think about other areas ,, like insurance coverage on the system!!
    thanks again
    bob0usa<!-- google_ad_section_end --> ''
    Morning Bob, I do not know how your individule ins. company would handle this for you I have Foremost ins, and when I asked about a "rider" policy on my solar, they simply issued me an "outdoor" building and tool policy. You can buy as large as needed, and it really doesn't cost much. But would advise you to keep every receipt, and take pleanty of pictures of everything in the building , including the building itself, also all the solar panels, invertors, charge controllers and batteries. Here, the biggest and most likely problem would be a lightning strike, which will do really bad things to your entire system. You would need to find out what would be covered and what would not. Good luck with your new system. Nadja

3. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

Hey, Nadja - did you figure out what brand that low-amperage refrigerator is?

And a comment to everyone about insurance coverage - check with your agent, as coverage varies from company to company. Get the answer in writing. With some carriers you'll just raise the structure coverage limit. With others you may need a rider for solar equipment or a windmill.

Also, everyone should have a replacement cost rider. Everyone. Otherwise, the insurance company will depreciate everything and you won't get enough money to replace it.

And then, as Nadja said - take pictures. Lots of pictures.

4. Nadja

Hello Fireplaceguy. Opps, I am really sorry, as I forgot all about it. I am totally reconfiguring my entire solar system, upgrading the mounts, and all the wireing and on top of that am trying to finalize a sale I have been working on for almost two months now. Almost there, as it is all the money I will need to carry me through the entire winter with a nice safty margin. However, my friend has one of them and I can describe it to you. It is black, a side by side and what is really neat about it is that it also has the large pull out drawer on the bottom which is also a freezer. He runs a killawhat as I do and swears buy it. He also lives on solar and is faceing all the same problems as all of us do off the grid. I tried to look it up on home depot, but I am on snail speed, and it was taking about 10 minutes to just get the home page up. Please remind me again early next week , as I will be driving up the mountain to buy some new shoes and pants at wallyworld which is right next door to the depot. I will for sure go in and find it and let you know. Nadja

5. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Nadja Is there a wind generator that is small enough to be considered Portable? I'm considering that as a back up plan to my portable Solar power system as a back-up for those windy days there is no way you could use a solar panel. This is for that time when if we have to go, we can. Currently we are planning on bugging in but when you are the only ones in a given area that are prepping for whats comming that makes it hard. I have guns and ammo but I prefer not to have to use them on people I know but that are outside the circle that I plan on taking care of........so to aleviate that eventuality we are making a contingency plan for for a buggout........

6. Nadja

The only one I have seen that even remotely looked portable, isn't much bigger then a living room fan and only puts out about 25 watts peak. That is to say, it is more of a toy then anything else. You can try this place as they are all u.s. made and are very reasonable. I will be getting one from them very soon to go along with the one which I bought and is not the greatest wind generator around. These are impressive and I will be offering them up for sale soon. What you really need to do first though is read my blogs, which are all about wind power etc. I was shocked when I bought my first wind generator a few months ago , and only after getting it found out what it was really going to take to get it up and running > producing power. All total , a 500 dollar wind generator cost me about 3,000.00 up and running. I will be laying this all out for you and everyone on this site in a couple of more days. Watch for the new up and coming "off the grid living" forum , on this site very soon.. Nadja

7. Nadja

Okie Dokie Fireplace Guy. I just talked to Terry , (even older the me LOL) and his refer freezer is 25 cf. Yipes. It is double door refer and pull out drawer freezer on the bottom. It is huge. Now the brand is "LG" and it actually draws about 3.2 amps. The one I looked at , up at the home depot is not quite so large, but only draws 2.2 amps. Double door only freezer one side, fridg on the other. The LG according to Terry was about $1,300.00 while the one at home depot was about $779.00 I will try as I promised next week to stop there and re-check it out for you. Nadja

8. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

Thank you. I would be interested in the specific model number if you actually get face to face with the beast. Like you, I live pretty far out of town so I really appreciate you doing this when you have the chance.

2.2 Amps is quite efficient. I wonder how good the insulation is and consequently, what the actual run time is over 24 hours.

Also, congrats (!) on your appointment as our off-grid leader.

Regards,

FPG

9. Nadja

Hello Fireplace Guy. Well, we are going to try and make it up to Home Depot and Wallyworld on wed. However, the weather she is a changing. If it is snowing up there, since they are next door and both quite aways up the hill, I will not go. To many crazy people always act like they have never seen snow before. If all else fails, I guess I will have to resort to stopping at my friends where he has high speed and borrow one of his computers for a little while to try and get on site. It is getting cold here and the winds started from the west - northwest. That is never a good sign up here. This time of year , it usually means snow.

Thanks for the con-grads. I am hopeing that a lot of people will start coming here and we can get some real discussions going. Nadja

10. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

So that is actually enough to power say a laptop at 25 watts peak along with a few other things and if set up correctly could make a decent backup to small solar power system. What is that website I'm very curious.

11. Nadja

Deciple, the number you see above is the ebay number for one of these small wind turbins. This one is 50 watts max, already 12 volt and if you break it down it supposedly will fit in your back pack. Go to ebay, and type or past the 300 number into search and it should come right up for you. No bids as yet, and starting at 60.00 plus 10.50 shipping. comes out of Nex. Mex. Good luck Nadja

12. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

thank you my brother

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7