Living the Dream?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by OldDude49, Jan 21, 2019.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

January 21, 2019
    A friend of mine made a comment in passing to me the other day. I had mentioned an upcoming building project I was going to undertake on the farm, and he said, “Man, you’re living the dream!” The problem with that is not that it is wholly untrue. The life I live IS the stuff of dreams for most people, from all walks of life, and all areas of the social, economic, and political spectrum. It is what they DREAM about doing.

I constantly see books on the shelves of a acquaintances and friends, and social media posts all over, on the subjects that I live daily: everything from shooting and physical fitness training to small-scale livestock husbandry, organic and permaculture gardening, alternative housebuilding and self-reliant energy production, etc.

So, how did we manage to escape the grind of dreaming about it, and start living it? It’s really pretty simple: We stopped dreaming, and started doing. It really doesn’t matter if we’re talking about becoming an expert—or even just a better—shooter, becoming more physically fit for survival, building a food storage system, growing (some or all) of your own food, or any other aspect of preparedness and life: In the end, you just have to say, “Fuck it!” and start moving.

One of the most tedious tasks we performed as young Rangers and SF NCO, was one that was loathed by most, but which I loved: conditioning road marches. I’m a reasonably big guy, and—until I learned HOW in my late 30s—running just hurt. But, throw the big green tick on my back and tell me to start walking? Hell yeah! I can do that! Let’s face it, 10, 12, 15, 25 miles of walking fast, with 45-65# on your back, is B-O-R-I-N-G…and it hurts. Most guys HATED road marches. I looked forward to them. It really is a matter of, if you just pick up one foot and move it forward a couple inches, gravity—and you intuitive urge to not eat pavement—will take care of the rest. You just start walking. After the first step, it’s just momentum.

Where to Start

It’s passe to say, “at the beginning,” but it’s true. I’ll let you in on a hint: any book, article, or lecture that says to start your preparedness journey by “buying or building a 72 Hour Kit” is full of shit. It’s some fuck knuckle that’s never done a damned thing, and is regurgitating other bullshit from other fuck knuckles that never did shit.

That’s not to say that tools don’t matter. They do. We’re the tool-making ape.

The problem is two-fold:

1) if you don’t know WHAT to do, or HOW to do it, then you don’t know WHAT you need in the way of tools (When I started building our house, I bought a BUNCH of tools that I ended up not needing for that project. It was an expensive lesson).

2) If you’ve never tried different techniques and tools, you’re starting the kit-building process from a position of unconscious incompetence.

more on site... this guys puts out some interesting info... IMHO

Living the Dream?

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

He is a good writer and I like his parting words. He sums it up nicely:

The author is not afraid to admit failure but IMO it really isn't failure because he was learning. He kept trying and didn't stop. I have a few failures that that I got frustrated and just shelved the idea. I guess I should try again, just keep trying till I get it to work.

3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Biggest mistake I see is people believing that they have to do the whole thing at once. Do something today, some extra tuna, or spagetti sauce, or rice, pay off a little more on the credit card, go for a walk, stop drinking soda or beer, Don't get discouraged and relish your success rather than dwell on your failures. If you are reading this forum, you have more motivation than most people in the country.

oldawg, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Well MY dream WAS not today or the next spring ,, AS Mr TN Andy @TnAndy posted , "what is a tree worth ?"
    I'm keeping my heart rate up & getting my workouts daily . IMG_2263.JPG IMG_2278.JPG IMG_2279.JPG

Bad storm broke many trees of 180 -250 foot tall .
    The storms are getting worse here.

oldman11 likes this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Bishop
  4. AxesAreBetter
  5. DKR
  6. Motomom34
  7. wideym
  8. The_Prepared
  9. Motomom34
  10. The_Prepared