Local Cops Ready for War

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Dec 21, 2011.

1. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Ill go with that and if we are going back to the bad old days, when what you wrote was the way it was, I get a percentage of the fines for the tickets I write and the guns I confiscate are turned over to me by the court.

Everybody want to go back to the good old days without really knowing what they were. Community policing where the cop walked the beat and knew everybody. The nice Officer also beat the **** out of little Johnny when he lipped off and there was no accountability.

The stuff issued by the department belongs to the department and goes to the next officer when one leaves.

Alpha Dog likes this.
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Meanwhile my lone cop drives a 10 year old 4x4 with 220k miles on it, has a radar gun that only works if you hold it a certain way, and a radio that works half the time. Wonder if they'd mind sending me some of their castoff equipment....

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  3. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

I'm fine with that scenario. Apparently if Little Johnny's dad would've whipped his ass the good officer wouldn't have had to step up and do it for him. Something bout taking a village and all :D

fedorthedog and Cephus like this.
  4. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I have no problem with them being properly armed and armored, as long as they're still loyal to the public. When facing a Columbine senario, they need to be able to throw a vest on, grab the rifle and take care of business. Most are forced by Dept. regs to await backup, and that can take an unacceptably long time. The individual officer needs to have the equipment, mindset and training to go in and take care of business in a timely manner. Most of them are very willing to do so at the risk of their lives, and that is how it should be.

It doesn't matter what they are armed with as long as they view themselves as protectors of the public. If they don't, and look at it as a We/They thing, then no good will come of it if they are armed with slingshots. Where their loyalty lies is the main factor.
    jim

Cephus and Alpha Dog like this.
  5. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

One thing alot of people don't under stand is here there are five of us one Deputy per shift. If the need for back up arises we are looking at 15min to an hour. we are a rual county alot of wood lands when a call comes out it is one Deputy I have handled calls of 10 drunks fighting at a party in the middle of the woods no way for any body to find me if I didi need help. The extra fire power and armor could one day save my life and get me home to the wife and kids. When given a call I have driven an hour up a unmarked hollor and when I get there found meth labs, marijuana field, shine still. Believe me these people will kill you roll you in a mining crack and forget about you. We are going up against small zombie armies of meth heads alone. If you ever fight a man triping on meth it's like trying to fight superman. Most of the time they don't go down with one shot, I seen a guy shot 26 times and 16 rounds in vital organs he still managed to put off 200 rounds with and AK74 finally the brain told the body him, he was dead. As A Deputy here I know for a fact on 90% of my calls I am out gunned 10 to 1. Now I'm not complaining I love my job and knew what it held for me 17 years ago when I was a boot. Im just saying as long as you have a good group of level headed officer's who serve the community and respects his badge and honor's his job why not give him the needed tools to protect himself so he can protect the citizens. Look at it now how many L.E.O.'s are going in on calls Knowing this is the one and I dont have what I need but there are citizens in there. He goes in and dies to protect the citizens leaving a wife and children behind. Ask BTPost about the Trooper's in Alaska.

ditch witch and Cephus like this.
  6. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I understand your situation, and hope you don't feel that my post was intended as a negative one.

Sounds like your S.O. needs to get some qualified volunteers to help out the overloaded deputies. Many Chiefs and Sherriffs do not like that as it negatively impacts numbers of payed LEO's it does draw the community and LEO's together. While I would never bust s still, dopers beware.
    jim

7. Alpha Dog

No I was just trying to let some of the ones who live in places that have large dept. know that out in rual places it's different. No I don't mess with the shiner's to often good ol boy's just feeding their families. At least once a year I find a small box att my drive way with a little jar of thanks in it. We use it and make cough syrup. Plus every once in awhile Ill take a little nip just to test for quality(lol)

Cephus likes this.
  8. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

My youngest son is best friends with our local cop... last week me and the boys had to help him push his pickup up the driveway and into the shop so we could fix the starter...

Know what's the best part of making friends with the cops in small town USA... they let me pony my own orders in for Hydro-shock ammo so I get the same discount

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Alaska State Troopers were patterned after the Texas Rangers of days gone by. Texas Rangers were always "One Riot, One Ranger" because they have few Rangers, and lots of State to ride. Alaska is the Same. Not many Troopers and lots of territory to cover. Oh watch out, I feel a STORY coming on.....

A couple of decades ago, I was on a winter trip to Kobuk, Alaska, to fix a Native Public Health Service HF SSB Radio that had a warrantee issue. I flew in to Kotzebou, which is the nearest BIG Town, on the Jet just at dusk, (2Pm) checked in with the local Bush Pilot for a trip out to Kobuck, the next morning, and then went to the ONLY Hotel in town, checked in, and went down to supper in the restaurant. As I was waiting for the meal to come from the kitchen, the Trooper walked in and went over and chatted with the Bartender. After a few seconds the bartender, pointed to "Me", and the Trooper walked over to my table. This guy was 6' 6" at least, and weight 300 Lbs, and NO FAT. Huge.... and my heart dang near stopped. He asked me if I was the "Radioman from Northern Radio Co.", and I acknowledged that I was. He then asked if we could share the Bush Plane Charter, in the morning? I said, "Sure" being glad I wasn't in cuffs, on the floor. He told me he would show up a 7 Am and we could have breakfast together, and then he would give me a ride to the airport. Nice, fine with me, and then he left. Next morning, sure enough he showed up at 7Am, and we had breakfast, and off to the Airport we went. He asked how much stuff I had and I told him I had just a small toolbox and I would only be about 15 minutes, doing the repair and getting a Radio Check from the Hospital, here in town. He said, that was fine with him but we would have to make a few stops, on the way out to Kobuk, and then we could just fly back to town, so I could catch the evening Jet, back to Anchorage. Ok by Me... So we get to the airport, and he drives right up to the plane, and backs up his 4X4 Suburban to the plane, and opens up the back doors and we start unloading the truck into the back of the plane. We are loading every conceivable firearm, I have ever seen into that plane. Filled up the whole back of the aircraft. When we finished, there was just room for the Pilot, the Trooper, and Me, and off we went. Flew out to the first village, landed. The whole village shows up for every plane. The Trooper gets out, opens up the back door, and start looking at the tags on each weapon, and calling out names, for folks to come get their guns. When he is finished, he climbs back in, and off we go, to the next town. Same thing over again, and I am now getting very curious as to what is going on. So I ask.

He then tells me a Story. "Joe Muckluck comes home from a Hunting Trip, and he finds his brother in bed with his wife. Joe is drunk anyway, but really gets mad, so he shoots his brother, beats up his wife, (He doesn't kill the wife, because she has value) and then decides that he better go hunting again, and leaves that weapon there, and grabs another rifle, and then splits town. The Village Chief is called, and he then calls the Hospital in town, on the Health Aids Radio, and tells the Doc, that they have a body, and a beat up wife. The Doc calls the Trooper on the phone, and he tells the Doc that he will get the Bush Pilot to fly him out at the next Weather Break. Doc relays the message back to the Village Chief, and they all go back to bed. Trooper flies out with a body-bag, to pick up the body, and takes Notes, on dastardly Deed. He then tell the Chief, that Joe needs to come to town, and see the Trooper, with in a week, or the Trooper will have to come looking for him, and you know what THAT MEANS. (It means the Trooper will shoot Joe, on sight, at distance, because He will be hunting Joe, on Joe's Ground, and the Trooper isn't about to chase Joe all over the tundra) He collects the body, and flies back to town. Joe really hasn't gone very far, and see's the Troopers plane take off, so he then goes home, and beats his wife again, and goes to sleep. The Chief sees Joe in town and gives him the Lecture. "Joe, the Trooper says, you got to go to town, and see him. You better go, or he will come looking for you." Joe agrees, so they go over and call the Hospital on the radio, and arrange for Joe to go to town, on the next Mail Plane. Joe lands in town, and walks to the Troopers Office. The Trooper says, "Joe, you are under arrest for murder, and wife beating. Tell me what happened." Joe tells him the story, which matches the wife's story, and the Chiefs Story, so the Trooper says, "Joe You go back to your village, and I will tell the Doc when the Judge is coming next, and you will need to come back to town for the trial, OK?" Joes says "Ok" Trooper says, "Joe if you don't come in I will have to come after you and you KNOW what THAT MEANS, Right?" Joe says "Yea." So off Joe goes, and waits for the Court Date. Now the Circuit Court happens every so often, and the Judge, Court Clerk, Prosecuting Attorney, Legal AiD Defense Attorney, all fly in on the Jet, and setup court in the biggest room in town. (The Hotel Restaurant... Bar is closed for the day) and Joe flies in to town the night before, and gets a room at the hotel, gets roaring drunk at the Bar, and the bartender has to go wake him up for court. Oh yea, The State pays for all this room, board, and flights, as Joe is still under Arrest. The Judge bangs his Gavel, the Clerk calls Joe's Case. The Trooper takes the Stand, and the Prosecutor asks, "Trooper, tell the court the aspects of this case." The trooper gets out his notes and recites the facts he observed, tells about Joe coming into town, tells the Chief's and Wife's Stories, shows the weapon involve, with a Tag that has the Case Number and Joe's name, on it, and says that is the CASE." The Prosecution Rests. The Defense, calls Joe, and he gets on the stand, and repeats his story that he was drunk, and got mad at his brother, and shot him DEAD. Then beat up his wife, and then hid out. Defense Rests.
    Prosecutor asks Joe to Identify his gun. He does. Final arguments proceed. Judge adjourns court for 5 minutes, to deliberate. Judge comes back bangs his gavel, and states, "Seems to me that Joe has issues with alcohol, but since he was provoked, by his brother and his wife's adultery, this is a simple case of JUSTIFIABLE HOMICIDE. Case Dismissed" and bangs his gavel, again. "Next Case".... That night Joe gets plowed at the Bar, Again, and then flies back home the next day. Beats his wife another good one, and then goes hunting. End of STORY...

The Trooper turns to 'Me" and says, "I am just returning 6 months worth of evidence, to the owners"..... I am STUNNED ... We get to Kobuk, and I fix the radio, get a Radio Check from the Doc at the Hospital. Trooper has coffee with the Village Chief, His wife, and the Council President, while I work, and we fly back to town. I get on the Jet and return to Anchorage, and then on to Seattle, where I was Based out of..... TRUE Story.... Alaska the Last Frontier..... for better or worse..... .... YMMV....

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have to say that you (and some state police agencies) operate in a completely different set of conditions, operating mostly alone as you do. I can see very good reasons why you should have different equipment to match your needs. What I do NOT see is why an urban department needs armored vehicles and full automatic M16s to serve warrants or perform traffic stops. (Granted that those are pretty uncommon absent some kind of indication except in paranoid departments.) Body armor, well, I can see that under some circumstances too. Agree, tho' that the department should fund whatever the cop on the beat needs to do his job as defined by the department. Anything more than that, well, that is a personal choice and a personal expense. If the department issues Glocks and you want a 1911, you buy it. Ammo for practice and carry is negotiable.

11. Alpha Dog

BT I really liked the story.

ghrit I agree alot of the city PD's have things they shouldn't and have no idea of what the equipment is and should be used for. Around here if something bad happens the locals call us in and the troops. Which we have all the black BDU's, vest, helments even pretty shiny guns I like to shoot. 99.9% of the time when I go into a situation I walk in in my class A's or the class B's which are tan pants and a black polo. I have very little trouble with people. for the most part they know they have screwed up and are scared. seeing me they feel they can try to explain some type of reasoning. Now I run up in there like Jonny Law in my nice S.W.A.T. outfit that takes away one of my tools of dealing with that person. I had a problem A few year back because most of the time when Im on duty I just wear my gun. No expandable baton, no spray any way I get to a house and 3 guys are inside that had beat this guy up and took like $30.00 well I go in the house and these guy's was from Alanta. The one said hey there are 3 of us and 1 of you I said yes sir and then he said you dont have a night Stick or mace what if we just whooped your a$$? I said sir that can happen but before we go any furter let me explain your first obsevation and they just looked at me. I said if I carried a night stick and pepper spray I would have to explain why I pulled my pistol and shot you. He said what I said yes the court would say was the men unarmed and Id have to say yes. Then they would ask why didn't you Deputy use your night stick or pepper spray to bring them under control? I can say I didn't have any at the time which 3 on 1 justifie's my use of deadly force. The guy said you said shoot me and I said yes sir you are the one with all the mouth so you have to be the leader of the other 2 when I shoot you they are lost which will give me time to shoot the second one. The third one I will probally have to chase a little while then articulate why he was shot in the woods. But I will be the only witness left so. Any way while talking I had pulled my weapon they never seen it When they did see it they advised me of what a crazy bleep I was and went to jail. From that day on I earned the respect of the people here. Mountain people are a different breed and if you get there respect they are friends for life.

12. Alpha Dog

I didn't put it in but the point of my story was I did my job didn't need a tank, fully auto weapon and a team of 6 storm troopers. I just used the old school training I was given.

larryinalabama, Cephus and BTPost like this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

You got that right! [winkthumb]

14. ditch witch

I have one part time marshal on staff here. PART TIME. He shares a 10 x 18 office with my part time judge. Funny thing we found out about having a City Marshal. We can't have reserve deputies. Sheriff Dept can, City Police can, but not a Marshal's office. TCLOSE won't allow it. We don't seem to qualify for any LE grants because the town is 100% cracker. Never mind 70% of the populace living at or under the poverty level, or that we have almost zero commercial tax base for income. Unlike our "poverty stricken" residents, we can't manufacture meth to make money and so I spend much of my time figuring out which bill I can put off a little longer. The only thing we can provide our overtaxed part time cop is the aforementioned 10 year old truck, a fickle radar gun, and a narcoleptic radio. Fortunately my guy works full time in another county so he makes enough to provide most of his equipment but I am ashamed to ask him to try to do his job with substandard equipment and the nearest backup 15-20 minutes away.

When I read stories about place that get tons of gear such as the OP, it just makes me want to beat my head against the wall. Two years ago a cracked out stoner walked into my office with a gun, and informed me I needed to get EMS there immediately because he was going to kill himself. A few days earlier he had been in front of his house across the street shooting it with a .22. I was completely alone. My part time marshal is only around in the evenings. It took another Marshal from the nearest town 18 minutes to get to my office. I found out later that Marshal's bosses took him to task for hauling butt over to our town, and "wasting gas".

People have no idea what rural cops deal with, or how little support they receive from their elected bosses sometimes. Yeah, maybe they know what they are getting into as far as the job goes, but I think it's effin shameful for any municipality to ask them to do their job without providing them with the best equipment available. Not a tank, mind you, but it shouldn't be too much to ask to provide them with decent weapons, vests, vehicles, and assistance.

Rant over.

I also think it's an effin crime to tell govt employees they cannot carry a gun into the office. But that's a rant for another day because my lunch break is over.

Alpha Dog and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  15. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

The City of Austin has Deputy Marshall's, how does TCLOSE come off pulling that kind of stunt with a small town? Might it be possible to have your State Rep or Senator contact TCLOSE in your behalf?

I'm wondering if a Posse might be possible in this situation? Elected officials can usually form one, and a City Marshall is elected. Just thinking aloud.

jim

16. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I have heard that there are some LEO's that plan to take and and and oh ya hide all that stuff when the shtf

17. ditch witch

Our City Marshal isn't elected, he's hired. He had arranged for us to have 3 reserve deputies, had the uniforms and badges, and then word comes down the pike from TCLOSE that we can't have one. Makes no sense to me. Didn't to that Marshal either, and he quit, ran for Sheriff in another county and won. Hired the next guy willing to take the job. If we had to elect them we'd be in a real mess considering they rarely last more than a year.

18. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

For the real rough and ready
    Doughnuts.

Sapper John and Falcon15 like this.
  19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Probably the only DD that delivers......

20. ssonb

ssonb Confederate American

From my recent experence of listening to conversations between SOs and POs a lot of them are more paranoid of the Goverment and better prepped than most of us!!!

Sapper John likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7