Local Sheriff Department to be replaced by "county poli

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Ardent Listener, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Ardent Listener

Ardent Listener Monkey+++

There is a move underway in Stark county Ohio to disband the county sheriff department and replace it with a county "police department". The reason for this is to save resources and money among the local police departments within the county.

What they are not telling the residents of Start County that if if this were to happen, they would lose control of the only form of law enforcement that directly answers to the voters.
    The sheriff would be replaced by a non-elected police chief who would answer to the politicians.

Is this occurring across the county?

No sir, I don't like the sound of this at all.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Haven't heard anything around here yet. Keep us posted.

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

They did something like that , back home in South Carolina...but just with the Narcotics Squad...It became the "Metro Narcotics Squad"...and it was scary....

They had absolute power, damn near....and didn't answer to many people....

It didn't work out...but that was the late 70's....and this is now..

What melbo said.....keep us posted...

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Different approach, worth watching for precedents. I've seen small towns fold and revert to Sheriff's domain, but never this scheme. Very odd. Oberpolizi formation, perchance?

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know its kind of nice here being just under the county sherif, even though they only have about 3 or 4 of them on patrole most times they still have better response times than we got in the city with a cop on every block and when they do come out they do a lot more to deal with any problems.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7