Long Term Storage of Flour and Meal

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Fonegal, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Fonegal

Fonegal Monkey++

I have a question about long term storage of flour and meal. This is how I am doing it now: First I freeze four 48 hours; then I use my Foodsaver to seal it in quart jars and then store it on a shelf in the basement. To make it last longer I would like to store the jars in the freezer. My question: If the electricity went off while the jars were in the freezer, will they be okay for long term storage at room temperature? Or will they have condensation on the inside of the jars? Has anyone done this before?

2. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

3. Fonegal

Fonegal Monkey++

Thanks. Where is the best place to buy the absorbers? And also the best source for cheese powder?

4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Inside the box with the macaroni ;).

5. Fonegal

Fonegal Monkey++

Thanks for the suggestion, but I would like to buy cheese powder in bulk. Where is the best place to buy it?

6. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I just couldn't resist the macaroni comment. [batteye]

I've never purchased cheese powder. I ran a search on it and it appears that it's carried by quite a few places (that I'm not familiar with).

I bet someone here has a preferred vendor for cheesy powder and they'll give you a rave review on the best place to buy it. :)

I'm going to watch for that now, too, as you've sparked my curiosity. [pop]

7. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Adding table salt will help with long term storage of powders. The higher level of salt helps inhibit microbial growth and it absorbs moisture. Also it can be sifted out fairly easy. This also works with meats, allowing storge into and through the winter without refrigeration.

8. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Is this more of what you are looking for?

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FS D105

I would be very supprised if the majority of people here don't use this site. I have bought several products from them before and was happy with the service and my purchase. They even have a setup for group buys and discounts.

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. JrOrtiz
  11. john316
  12. Magdala_Buckley
  13. DKR
  14. Hillbilly549
  15. DKR
  16. apache235
  17. Ganado
  18. alaskachick