Long-term storage of oils...

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Bandit99, Jul 4, 2016.

1. nomifyle

nomifyle "I am a bookaholic and I regret nothing"

I have some old cooking oil that I never intended for cooking with, I bought it with using in an oil lamp.

2. nomifyle

nomifyle "I am a bookaholic and I regret nothing"

I've been using coconut oil for years, although shortening is better for baking, well, since I don't bake much it really doesn't matter much for me. The couple things I do bake, like a cobbler for DH, I use CO and he never knows the difference.

3. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

The DW cooks with coconut oil quite a bit. When cooking things that don't have a strong flavor on their own, like eggs, there is a bit of coconut taste, but I don't find it objectionable.

4. john316

john316 Monkey+++

i freeze olive oil in a plastic bottle in a chest freezer at 0 degrees F . most everything stays good at 0

5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I found a place that sells Ghee. Basically it's canned butter with a long shelf life. Need to get some.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Check with Safecastle, they have it sometimes. I can tell you that the canned butter is pretty decent. (Beats most groc shoppe brands.)

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  7. I grew up on a farm. We raised and sold hogs. I know lard isn't for every use, but mom used it almost exclusively. Another benefit of having hogs was the renewable natural resource....BACON!!! And eggs fried in bacon grease top the list.

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I haven't tried it yet, but Aldi sells Ghee as well. Their "Beneficial Blends" ghee says it's grass fed and pasture raised (assuming the cows...ghee doesn't do much grazing on its own). Price comparison's are pretty positive as well and I haven't seen any negative reviews of it (and while I haven't seen any positive reviews, the lack of negative reviews is telling in my opinion...people LOVE to complain, I mean really...some people!).

Ghee lasts longer when its refrigerated, but it isn't critical as long as you keep the top on when not in use and always use a clean utensil when dipping into the jar.

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Go down to the "reading room" there are posts about USDA and canning. Other options might be county extension service and 4-h clubs. For people of my age, many of the 4-H leaders lived through the depression and canning food was the only way to preserve it so you could eat through the winter. Home freezers became prevalent with my parent's generation. Meat can be "put up" in jars too.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

for oils & fats long storage >>>> just drop any sturdy containers of lard, shortening or oils into the bottom of the freezer - stays good forever - if a SHTF knocks the freezer off grid they have long enough shelf life to outlast any spoilage problems .....

the lack of available fat in a SHTF diet is one nutrition problem that need to be overcome ....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7